1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 5, 2024.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I wouldn't trade J. Warren . Muth yes but not Warren

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Well, my point was that if they have to give up either one of those players, the cost was too steep if they were also giving up a first round pick. A first rounder by itself I could probably live with but I don't know that I agree Aiyuk puts them right behind the Chiefs. That would be putting way more confidence in the quarterback position than I'm comfortable with right now.

I do agree that adding him makes them considerably more dangerous but the cost has to make sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Why does he not want to play in SF? I am sure they have offered him a boatload of money. Must be some other reason or reasons.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sally

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The 49ers plan is to have him play on his rookie 5th year option this year, and then they will Tag him next year.

I have no problem when a player wants to get out of his rookie contract, because he was never allowed the chance to Negotiate his pay. The NFL forces rookies to sign on the dotted line after they are drafted. You can't decide where you go, or even how much you get paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The pats are out per Schefter....

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So... interesting...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  9. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    I guess its because he ONLY wants to play in Pitt?

10. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Aiyuk is coming to the Steelers!

Wait, it looks like San Francisco's going to give him a deal.

The deal fell through He's coming to the Steelers again!

Never mind, someone else offered him more money.

The deal fell through again! He's coming to the Steelers!

San Francisco's not going to let him go, the trade is off.

San Francisco said they would be open to him leaving! The trade is back on!

That is what trying to get Aiyuk feels like to me. Over and over. It's like groundhog Day. There's so much backroom trading, rumors, so much money, and so much drama surrounding this that at this point, I don't know that it is actually going to be good for Pittsburgh if we do get him. It'll cost us a fortune and it's going to inject drama into our wide receiver core.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    This kind of feels like fools gold to me. BA is as talented as he is (or appears to be) because of the offensive situation he has the luxury of being on. That offense made Jimmy G look good. I just don't think that success translates to the Steelers and this questionable offense and QB situation. If the Steelers give up a 1st and a skill player for this guy and then pay him a huge contract that would be a big mistake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why did Washington get out of the race for Aiyuk. $39 million in cap space right now, $90 million in 2025 and a Rookie QB that they don't have to pay for many, many years.

Highest paid is WR Terry McLaurin who will be turning 30 next year. WOW.... Only 3 players on Washington have a Cap hit of more than $10 million in 2024.
    upload_2024-8-7_0-29-6.png

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For anyone wondering why it has cone down to the likes of Cleveland and Pittsburgh, it is quite simple.

Cleveland has a Receiver they can unload in Amari Cooper to acquire Aiyuk. San Fran also would have the benefit of nabbing even more picks for Andrew Berry has shown that he will do whatever it takes to nab a player. In addition, signing Aiyuk to an extension can be doable (more on this later) and gives Cleveland the best chance to win in 2024.

However... this doesnt make much sense given the fact that trading for Aiyuk is going to have Clevelands Salary Cap situation in absolute hell. Perhaps not this season but definitley in 2025. For that matter, should this season go bust for Cleveland in the event that Aiyuk gets traded?!.... oof.

As for Pittsburgh?! Given that there isnt a WR that is going to part ways here, an Offensive Lineman would have to be within the trade package. James Daniels has been a name that has been floating for some time now. That doesnt include draft capital either. If there is one thing that Pittsburgh does have that Cleveland doesnt (and likely something Aiyuk is looking at) is the fact that Pittsburgh wouldnt be in cap hell even if he is extended; increasing his chances of possibly adding a ring.

Problem with the Steelers trade?! Fields or Wilson BETTER WORK OUT. Ideally Fields as he is younger but still developing given the reports. Back to why both needing to work, I doubt San Fran is going to walk away from this trade without a 2nd Round Pick as far as draft capital goes... minimum. First round is clearly still on John Lynchs mind but no way is Omar Kahn going to give up a pick without receiving some draft capital in addition to Aiyuk.

If anything, Id suspect that is the current hold up for I do believe the players are in place for both Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Just comes down to who is going to give up more capital in the draft. Most importantly.... if Aiyuk signs off on any of this; the biggest wild card here.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have you ever heard of the collective bargaining agreement? The players accepted these terms.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mustang?

16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Our WR room is awful but I tend to agree giving up too much for BA seems like a bad move. We don’t have the QB yet so we need all the draft capital we can have moving forward. Wilson is nothing more than a 1 year stop gap and Fields can’t process the field in real football. Practice and camp stats don’t mean much ask KP.

17. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Smith is not a bad OC....I mean Corey Davis had almost 1000 yards as the second option in 2020 with the titans,by far his best season in his career

Corey Davis Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

If Davis can have it,no doubt Aiyuk can be great in this offense

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    For those who are afraid to give a high draft pick for Aiyuk, just to remember that the rams had no first round pick from 2017 to 2023 and they had a great run with 2 super bowl appearances, 1 super bowl win and 6 winning seasons in 7 seasons

I'm not saying to do like the rams and trading our first round pick each year but we shouldn't be afraid to give just one first round pick for a great player if that's it it takes

No risk,no biscuit!

19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Aiyuk is even better that his stats

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That would be a mistake. With hopefully Frazier and Fautanu starting he would be the vet in between. If they do it to me it would screw up the O Line. McCormick will take his place next season.

And compensation? NO way I want to give up this years 1 or 2nd round pick. Then you have tp PAY him. He is NOT a superstar.

Next years 2nd and a 3rd I could deal with, They are in line to get a comp pick which could be a 3rd.

But there are so many What If's next season. Paying a QB, Freiermuth, Heyward.

21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    We don't know how many big years Watt has left...Maybe this is the last year for Heyward with us....Do you really want Van Jefferson as second WR or do you want a potential top 5 WR duo?

Time to stop to worry about 2025 or 2026

22. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The truth is, the Steelers face three significant uncertainties: wide receiver, quarterback, and the offensive line. I have a feeling that either Wilson or Fields will perform fairly well, though the offensive line may struggle initially but improve over time. However, the wide receiver position lacks depth and talent, which could be addressed by acquiring someone like Aiyuk. Despite doubts about Pittsburgh's upside, they have consistently won between 9 and 12 games over the last four years. With a roster that shows promise, two quarterbacks with potential, and an offensive line capable of significant improvement, they also have the opportunity to trade for a top-tier wide receiver. Balancing immediate needs with future considerations is key, but the Steelers have the potential to thrive. Simply put, I think you make the move, man.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Jessy Raphael?

25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    That's all well and good if they were certain they could get the type of QB play that would make a trade of this magnitude worth it. At this point, that is still a big question mark and using a first round pick that may be needed for a QB next year is a big risk.