1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Aiyuk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Mar 20, 2024.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They will get a third round compensatory pick if he leaves in free agency after this year so they will want more than that but I agree that a first round pick for him would be madness when you have to pay him a WR1 contract afterwards. A second round pick might make sense for a team with a lot of cap flexibility

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Much wr talent in draft this year, Steelers have actually
    Been able to evaluate the wr position in past.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    I have read some recent articles that suggest that the Steeler's have renewed interest in signing him. Personally, I think it would be an EPIC move. ANY QB in the league needs not one or two weapons these days, but like 4-5 killers. Spend the draft on OL,C then the secondary

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Real Qbs make weapons most of the time....that is why a very few % of Wrs are great wherever they go.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Six of the top 15 receivers in the NFL this past season had been standouts for multiple teams. Those are Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Amari Cooper, and Stephon Diggs. Has Moore ever had a great quarterback? He just had the best season of his career with Fields as the starter.

Don't get me wrong. A great quarterback will definitely elevate the receivers on the field with him, but don't discount the individual skills of those receivers entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Those are all good receivers, but four out of the five (you only listed five, not six) have always had a good quarterback with them as well. They may have been great receivers on different teams, but all those teams had competent franchise quarterbacks.

The real test would be to show any receivers that have been great receivers with bad quarterbacks. I think it's going to be very hard to find that. I really do feel like the quarterback is far more important than the receiver in that player relationship...... And the money that quarterbacks make back that up. A good quarterback can make a mediocre or bad receiver look good, but you're going to be playing the lottery to find a good receiver that makes a bad or mediocre quarterback look good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    My bad. I left off Davante Adams, who didn't have a good quarterback throwing to him this past season. Neither did Amari Cooper.

8. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Meh, I think a really good receiver can take a QB to the next level. You look at the receivers Mahomes had this past season (not counting Kelce) and they all finished with pretty mediocre seasons. None of those guys were really lifted much by Mahomes. Brady was the same way much of his career. He was obviously always a very good QB, but mostly put up average numbers. He finally reached stratospheric levels when they added guys like Moss, Gronk, and Welker to the mix.

There are exceptions, of course. and you can make the same argument for specific cases of QBs lifting receivers to reach new heights. There can be a benefit to both, but it's unfair to say one position specifically benefits the other. Football is a team sport, and sometimes a receiver-QB combo simply elevates both guys' careers mutually

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To many people give too much credit and too much blame to skilled position players,
    as SH92 mentioned in his thread football is the ultimate team game. It takes all 53 players and coaches,
    to accomplish great things and win championships. Unfortunately imo the Steelers team that is constructed
    doesn't feel this way.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you can say that a quarterback is more important, but you are right that we shouldn't dismiss receivers raising the level of a quarterback. Take the examples you gave. I think Welker and Edelman were examples of very good receivers who got even better because they played with Brady. I think Moss and Gronkowski were receivers who would be great anywhere, but they helped take Brady to another level.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    trade a 1 or 2 for a very good WR. it is worth it.

nuff said.

too much of a learning curve Yr. 1, find a PLAY MAKER TODAY

it's not that complicated, people.

We are trying to win now, while we are ALIVE and YOUNG

12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    "I promise you nothing is going on here"

Same thing Khan and every other GM says while they are negotiating :hehehe::hehehe:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well Hill went from Mahomes to Tua....so yes I expected Him to still do well.....Diggs who didn't blow up until He got K. Cousins , and He went to Allen, and now has complained of wanting out.
    So that takes two out of the 6 out. I'm sure if I really looked I could come up with more, but Yes .....You have guys like A. Cooper who looks good with whatever Qb He plays with....and if You figure out how many Wrs play a year in the NFL....even if I gave You all six .....which I don't.....that would be extremely rare. No????

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Receivers are going to be limited by poor quarterback play. I'm not disputing that, but it also works the other way. Even Patrick Mahomes saw a drop in his numbers when he was surrounded by below-average receivers in 2023.

Hill is a great example of what I was talking about. Look at the quarterback's statistics before and after Hill arrived. It sure looks like like Hill elevated Tagovialoa's game rather than the other way around.

Brown had success despite playing with lesser quarterbacks in Tennessee. Adams was the one I left off the list. He went from Rodgers to Carr, a huge step down, and still put up massive numbers in 2022. Sure, they dropped some with the **** show the Raiders had at quarterback in 2023, but it is a collaborative thing.

I wonder if that has changed more in the modern game. One example that comes to mind is John Stallworth. He had arguably the best season of his career in 1984 with Mark Malone and David Woodley throwing him the ball.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hill has absolutely elevated Tua’s play. So has having a scheme that fits him and his YAC-monster receivers perfectly.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No doubt. When we try to say it is all the quarterback, all the receiver, or all the system, we are pretty much always wrong.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

For that matter, John Lynch doesn't have much of a choice here. Whether it be liked or not, Brock Purdy will likely command... whatever the hell type of deal he wants should his season prove successful again in 2024; putting the 49ers in a difficult situation. The team still has Deebo, Christian and George Kittle and can afford to lose Aiyuk. Besides, this Wide Receiving Class is tremendous and great value can be had in just about every round; something that is quite difficult to do even regardless of position.

See what you can get for Aiyuk John. Just be sure that the "Price is Right" or his trade value will go down the tubes.

19. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
  20. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The rumors of a Brandon Aiyuk trade to Pittsburgh are false. “We want him to be a part of the Niners, so we’re going to work towards making that a reality.” John Lynch #49ers

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And in response, Aiyuk tweeted "Money talks, bull**** walks".

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out, no team in the NFL is paying both of their top 2 receivers big money on long term deals, except the Browns just extended Jeudy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yep - which is why I think this is all just negotiating garbage. Bengirls were, for a while, paying 2 top WR's top $$, but once you start paying a QB, you can't pay everyone. they pay McCaffrey some MOOLA also.

I'd bet they will take a good offer on this kid.

I'd make the offer....

• Like Like x 1