1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bradshaw vs. Ben-Who would you rather have in a Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Re: Bradshaw vs. Ben-Who would you rather have in a Super Bo

TomlinEra, that is exactly why Mike Tomlin's upcoming decision on an offensive coordinator is SO important, not only to this franchise, but also to Ben personally. I think the right guy can get Ben to elevate his game to the next level. The wrong guy will continue to enable Ben to make bad decisions on the field. I may be wrong about this, but I think Randy Fichtner is the WRONG guy. We don't need another buddy for Ben, we need a strong and experienced, maybe even a headstrong, offensive coordinator that will cause Ben to THINK differently on the field. He needs to be hearing a new voice and a fresh perspective. He's at a crossroads and I think this coaching decision is as big for Ben as it is for anybody. DON'T SCREW IT UP, TOMLIN![/quote:3jhohl28]

I agree it's important which is why I don't want Haley. Even if I thought Haley was an outstanding OC I still wouldn't want him, he's had too many problems with personnel over the years, that's a big red flag for me. I also don't believe Ben is getting into he huddle and saying screw what they called, this is what we are doing. So it really doesn't matter if Ben and Fichtner are buddies, as long as the plays being sent in are good ones and shows better situational play calling and in game adjustments then that's all we are looking for here right?

Like it or not, Ben is a 100 million dollar QB, he has a say what goes on and a smooth working relationship is better then a strained one.

Also, I'd be ok with Hue Jackson, he looks like a good fit for the team too.[/quote:3jhohl28]

I like Hue Jacskson as well and he could be a good fit. But I wouldn't dismiss Haley as an option just yet. Haley coached with Bill Parcells and I think he's a lot like Parcells in that he has a clear plan, knows what he wants to do and if you don't get on board there will be confrontation. Confrontation is not a BAD thing. Did you see Bill O'Brien get in the face of Tom Brady a few weeks ago because he screwed up in the red zone. Brady is arguably the best QB of the era and O'Brien read him the riot act for one critical mistake. I LOVED THAT!!! Did you ever see BA and Ben have any confrontation on the sidelines. NO! They probably needed to have a few. It always looked like they were discussing who was going to make dinner reservations that evening. As the old adage goes, steel sharpens steel. Haley would not be afraid to get in the face of any player and I kind of like that. Parcells wasn't afraid to do it. Ditka wasn't afraid to do it. Why do we want to criticize Haley when he has confrontations with players. I think that can actually be a healthy thing at times. There was just too much buddy-buddy, chummy-chummy stuff going on with the Steelers. I'm not saying I want to be constant conflict, but getting in somebody's face from time to time is great!

BILL O'BRIEN IS MY HERO!!![/quote:3jhohl28]

There is a way to do it without being a dick about it, obviously Haley hasn't learned that craft yet. Also, Parcells and Ditka demand a level of respect that Haley hasn't earned. Sometimes players need a kick in the ass but it's not a negative if you don't have a coach with that attitude. I don't recall Montana ever being chewed out or Peyton or Elway.

As for Bradys confrontation. It never would have happened had Brady went to the sideline and kept his mouth closed. But he tried blaming the receiver for the screw up when it was his, that's why the OC got on him. One thing about Ben is he never blames his teammates, if he pulled the stunt Brady did, I would want him chewed out too.

2. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

Bradshaw hands down. Look at the stats Bradshaw had 9 TD's 4 ints (3 picks in final super bowl) during his 4 super bowls. So in his first 3 appearances, 7 TD's 1 int.... that's clutch.

Ben has thrown more picks than TD's in the big game, he's just not a big game QB. He's been great to get us there, but clutch time after a two week break he's sucked a$$... probably too much party time. For the record, Ben's had 3 TD's and 5 picks (including one pick 6)

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

exactly

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

There shouldn't even be a debate here. With Bradshaw under center, there was never really any doubt about who would win the Super Bowl. His whole game seemed to go to a new level in the post-season. Ben is good - and he wins, and yes, it's a different league now, but When I think of some of Bradshaw's throws and the way he commanded the field, there's no one else I would rather have in the big game - or any game for that matter.

BB may surpass Bradshaw's stats, but he is no Terry Bradshaw.

5. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011

Agreed. So far it has to be Bradshaw. I think I read that TB did call his own plays, including all 4 SBs, as well. I've always wondered if you switched the roles, Ben calls his own and TB was listening to an OC jabbering in his headset, what kind of outcomes that would have produced?

6. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Ben threw game-changing picks in each SB he has played. Randle El and Willie Parker saved him in one. James Harrison saved him in another. I'd rather have Bradshaw.

7. steeltx06

steeltx06 Active Member

Nov 21, 2011

Terry! I love Ben, but hes played horrible in 2 of hes 3 appearances.

8. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I concur

9. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

TomlinEra, that is exactly why Mike Tomlin's upcoming decision on an offensive coordinator is SO important, not only to this franchise, but also to Ben personally. I think the right guy can get Ben to elevate his game to the next level. The wrong guy will continue to enable Ben to make bad decisions on the field. I may be wrong about this, but I think Randy Fichtner is the WRONG guy. We don't need another buddy for Ben, we need a strong and experienced, maybe even a headstrong, offensive coordinator that will cause Ben to THINK differently on the field. He needs to be hearing a new voice and a fresh perspective. He's at a crossroads and I think this coaching decision is as big for Ben as it is for anybody. DON'T SCREW IT UP, TOMLIN![/quote:300md5r1]

Your point is well spoken and taken. It is so very important for Tomlin to make the correct decision on who is the next OC that will quide Ben. He needs to be a person with great experience who will make Ben do the right things to better his career. Not a person who is his friend and who will let Ben do what he wants. That is the exact same reason why I would not want Fichtner as the next OC. Ben took Fichtner and his wife to the pro bowl with him, not out of respect but because he is a friend who would let Ben do exactly what he wants. For Christ sakes, Fichtner was Bens QB coach. I think Tomlin knows this, thats why he has not named Fichtner the new OC. He will not get the job because of his relationship with Ben. Tomlin knows the deal, and I think he knows that this is the time to get Ben under control. One other thing Tomin might consider is to bring in another QB coach or let the new OC be the QB coach so that Ben and Fichtner will not buck the system. That would be smart on Tomlins part. Nothing for Ben to do but comform to the new system and OC.

As far as who would I prefer as my QB in the Super Bowl? Bradshaw hands down. He has been the MVP of the game with some great throws to Swann, and he is a HOFamer. He has won four games to only one for Ben. Ben has already loss one ugly oSB Game where he through an INT that was returned for a TD, and a INT that ended the game on an under thrown pass to Wallace, both against Green Bay. Bradshaw had nothing like that to happen to him in four Super Bowl games. Ben would have to win three more games and be MVP in a couple of those games, and become a HOFamer to get my vote.

10. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

TomlinEra, that is exactly why Mike Tomlin's upcoming decision on an offensive coordinator is SO important, not only to this franchise, but also to Ben personally. I think the right guy can get Ben to elevate his game to the next level. The wrong guy will continue to enable Ben to make bad decisions on the field. I may be wrong about this, but I think Randy Fichtner is the WRONG guy. We don't need another buddy for Ben, we need a strong and experienced, maybe even a headstrong, offensive coordinator that will cause Ben to THINK differently on the field. He needs to be hearing a new voice and a fresh perspective. He's at a crossroads and I think this coaching decision is as big for Ben as it is for anybody. DON'T SCREW IT UP, TOMLIN![/quote:26adrv52]

I agree it's important which is why I don't want Haley. Even if I thought Haley was an outstanding OC I still wouldn't want him, he's had too many problems with personnel over the years, that's a big red flag for me. I also don't believe Ben is getting into he huddle and saying screw what they called, this is what we are doing. So it really doesn't matter if Ben and Fichtner are buddies, as long as the plays being sent in are good ones and shows better situational play calling and in game adjustments then that's all we are looking for here right?

Like it or not, Ben is a 100 million dollar QB, he has a say what goes on and a smooth working relationship is better then a strained one.

Also, I'd be ok with Hue Jackson, he looks like a good fit for the team too.[/quote:26adrv52]

I like Hue Jacskson as well and he could be a good fit. But I wouldn't dismiss Haley as an option just yet. Haley coached with Bill Parcells and I think he's a lot like Parcells in that he has a clear plan, knows what he wants to do and if you don't get on board there will be confrontation. Confrontation is not a BAD thing. Did you see Bill O'Brien get in the face of Tom Brady a few weeks ago because he screwed up in the red zone. Brady is arguably the best QB of the era and O'Brien read him the riot act for one critical mistake. I LOVED THAT!!! Did you ever see BA and Ben have any confrontation on the sidelines. NO! They probably needed to have a few. It always looked like they were discussing who was going to make dinner reservations that evening. As the old adage goes, steel sharpens steel. Haley would not be afraid to get in the face of any player and I kind of like that. Parcells wasn't afraid to do it. Ditka wasn't afraid to do it. Why do we want to criticize Haley when he has confrontations with players. I think that can actually be a healthy thing at times. There was just too much buddy-buddy, chummy-chummy stuff going on with the Steelers. I'm not saying I want to be constant conflict, but getting in somebody's face from time to time is great!

BILL O'BRIEN IS MY HERO!!![/quote:26adrv52]

BILL COWHER was my HERO because he didn't take any trash from anybody. He would be up in your face with FIRE AND BRIMSTONE IN A HEARTBEAT. Thats what Ben needs, somebody to get in his butt and make him do the right thing!!

11. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

We can see that you don't know about Bradshaw and the Steelers in that era. First of all, Bradshaw is funny on fox. He doesn't have an ego, at least not as big as Bens, and he never got in trouble with women like Ben has. He didn't have those type of problems. No Steelers has that I can remember. Bens personal life with his women problems is monumental as a Steeler. TB had no such problems. Even though Ben is married, if he has anymore such problems with women, he will not be a Steeler. The Rooney's will not stand for it.

12. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011

I really like Ben but I would have to say without a doubt Bradshaw.

13. Azhriaz

Azhriaz Active Member

Oct 23, 2011

I was just a kid watching the Bradshaw era but even then I knew what I was watching was magic. There was just something about watching TB hit the air that made your nerves run with excitement. My mother is the one who started my brother and I on football and all three of us to this day still get goosebumps watching old film of the 70s team play. If we're watching an old game we're still yelling and screaming like it was a live game and that excitement is still there after how many years??

With today's era It comes close to that level of excitement but not the confidence with our offense we had back then. There's always the thoughts in the back of your mind "can we even make a first down here/can we score more than three in the red zone/there's other ways to run the ball than straight up the middle, etc.!!" Granted I feel most of that was Ariens fault. So yeah, my vote has to be for Terry but I'm also hoping to see improvement with Ben and the offense now that Ariens is gone. Just my two cents.

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I'm shocked that we're nearly unanimous in choosing TB over Ben on this question. :gasp: I don't think we've been in this kind agreement on anything else we've discussed. I thought for sure Ben would get the lion share of the "youth vote". Either that didn't happen or we're all old!

15. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011

I became a Steelers fan because of TB so I'll have to give him the edge. However, Ben's career isn't over and hopefully this question will not be an easy one in a few years. Now if you ask me who do I think is the better QB overall I'd have to go with Ben. He's got the intangibles that make him better IMO. There was a loooonnnnngggg time between the last SB we won with Terry and XL and even though he didn't play well in that game there is no way we would have been there without him.

16. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

That was a great team. Ben contributed to the Super Bowl like any other individual player was not necessary to win.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

I think most of us are getting up there. :(

What's funny to me is how we've sainted TB now, but in the 70s, even after winning a couple SBs, he was as divisive to Steeler fans as any other QB. Just goes to show how emotions can cloud objectivity.

18. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I'm not even old enough to remember the Steelers of the 80's and I still picked Bradshaw :thumbs_up:

19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, that is funny. I remember having a Swann 88 jersey as a kid. I remember seeing the 32's, 75's, and 58's. But don't recall seeing many # 12's around much.

20. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012

This isn't even close. Ben is an elite QB in today's game, but he is at best Top 5, maybe Top 6 now that Eli has put up another magical run. Terry Bradshaw is arguably one of the 10 best QBs to ever play the game and he was huge in the Super Bowl. Other than maybe Montana, I don't think there has ever been a QB who embraced the big game the way Terry did.

21. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Yep.You got it.

22. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

They didn't wear helmets in Bradshaw's time.... or pads. It was a rough sport to play way back then. Which is why he's so annoying to watch on fox. All the hits to his unprotected head....and shoulders.

23. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011

Agree we could have won the SB without him, he really didn't play very well. However, my point was we wouldn't have gotten to play in it without his play during the season. A great QB is what was missing all those years between Bradshaw and Ben.

24. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

You may think he's annoying, but he's been smart enough to parlay that "dumb" personna of his into a lot of CAAAAAAASH![/quote:3cluroo9]

Yes, my vote goes to the dumb country boy :thumbs_up:

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011

This is as old as I have ever been.