1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bradshaw vs. Ben-Who would you rather have in a Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If you could choose one or the other to guide your team in the Super Bowl, who would it be? You can argue that Ben is a better overall QB than Bradshaw was, higher completion percentage, more yards and TDs, fewer interceptions etc., but for my money I would much rather have Bradshaw in football's biggest game than Ben. In reality, if you exclude the HUGE drive to win Super Bowl 43 against the Cards, Ben's play in Super Bowls has been very mediocre. He was a liability in his first Super Bowl against the Seahawks (and I realize that it was his great play that got us there), was just okay against the Cards if you exclude the drive for the ages, and threw two critical interceptions last year against the Packers and wasn't able to duplicate his late game heroics against them.

Bradshaw, on the other hand, was money in the Super Bowl. I realize in Super Bowl 9 it was defense and the running attack that won the day. But in Super Bowls 10, 13 and 14 Bradshaw quite simply was the difference in those games. EVERY TIME the Steelers needed a play he made it. Whether it was drilling the TD pass to Swann in Super Bowl 10 and nearly getting de-capitated in the process, again hitting Swann with a dart in the endzone giving the Steelers an insurmountable lead in Super Bowl 13, or firing two bombs to Johnny Stallworth at the most crucial time of the game in Super Bowl 14, he was THE MAN that carried his team to victory.

The choice is clear to me. If I could take either Bradshaw or Ben in his prime and insert them into the Super Bowl, Ben would be holding the clipboard on the sideline. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

2. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: Bradshaw vs. Ben-Who would you rather have in a Super Bo

All very good points. Agree!!!!

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I bet its a generational thing. Older guys who remember Bradshaw and the Steel Curtain will lean toward Bradshaw. Younger guys, say under 35, who know the Team of the 70's only from hearing about it from their parents or watching clips on the NFL Network will probably say Ben. Although I could be wrong.

4. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Bradshaw. He turned into a monster in the Big Games. Ben has been kind of an average SB quarterback.

5. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011

Bradshaw was definitely better in the BIG game than Ben was/is. Bradshaw all the way, no question. :thumbs_up: :yeehaw:
    Even though Big Ben has been putting up better stats overall, than Bradshaw. I could only imagine Bradshaw to Wallace, Brown and Sanders. The speed of those young men, combined with the accurate deep ball of Bradshaw! WOW!!!!

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

So far it would be TB, ask me again when Bens career is over. I have a feeling a SB MVP will be added to Bens resume before he is through. Hopefully along with several more trophies.

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

As of right now, Terry without hesitation.

But I'll give time for Ben to make a stronger case.

8. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I am sorry, but I don't agree about Bradshaw playing great in the Superbowls - he had the best team ever assembled around him which is why they won. Check the stats. The first 2 Superbowls he had 9 completions total in each game. Not really carrying the game. SB XIII he was great, but he threw 3 picks in SB XIV. Ben's career is not over yet, so we will have to see, but he hasn't had anywhere near the talent around him that TB had. It is very difficult to compare era to era, but ask yourself this - If TB and BB changed places how many SB's would each of them won?

9. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Terry or Ben? How many SBS did Terry lose ?Case closed!

10. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Bradshaw 4 Ben 1 Enough said :herewego:

11. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Bradshaw hands down.

12. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011

How do you figure that?

Ben

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

TB. he worked to get better. i don't see that kind of commitment from ben. :cool:

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

LOL! Pastor Bob, very concise and to the point. I'm glad that this post prompted you to join the commentary on this board.

By the way, if you are a real pastor are your weekly sermons normally that short? :D

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

TomlinEra, that is exactly why Mike Tomlin's upcoming decision on an offensive coordinator is SO important, not only to this franchise, but also to Ben personally. I think the right guy can get Ben to elevate his game to the next level. The wrong guy will continue to enable Ben to make bad decisions on the field. I may be wrong about this, but I think Randy Fichtner is the WRONG guy. We don't need another buddy for Ben, we need a strong and experienced, maybe even a headstrong, offensive coordinator that will cause Ben to THINK differently on the field. He needs to be hearing a new voice and a fresh perspective. He's at a crossroads and I think this coaching decision is as big for Ben as it is for anybody. DON'T SCREW IT UP, TOMLIN!

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

TomlinEra, that is exactly why Mike Tomlin's upcoming decision on an offensive coordinator is SO important, not only to this franchise, but also to Ben personally. I think the right guy can get Ben to elevate his game to the next level. The wrong guy will continue to enable Ben to make bad decisions on the field. I may be wrong about this, but I think Randy Fichtner is the WRONG guy. We don't need another buddy for Ben, we need a strong and experienced, maybe even a headstrong, offensive coordinator that will cause Ben to THINK differently on the field. He needs to be hearing a new voice and a fresh perspective. He's at a crossroads and I think this coaching decision is as big for Ben as it is for anybody. DON'T SCREW IT UP, TOMLIN![/quote:wo8er5n1]

I agree it's important which is why I don't want Haley. Even if I thought Haley was an outstanding OC I still wouldn't want him, he's had too many problems with personnel over the years, that's a big red flag for me. I also don't believe Ben is getting into he huddle and saying screw what they called, this is what we are doing. So it really doesn't matter if Ben and Fichtner are buddies, as long as the plays being sent in are good ones and shows better situational play calling and in game adjustments then that's all we are looking for here right?

Like it or not, Ben is a 100 million dollar QB, he has a say what goes on and a smooth working relationship is better then a strained one.

Also, I'd be ok with Hue Jackson, he looks like a good fit for the team too.

17. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Thank you, my sentiments exactly

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

TomlinEra, that is exactly why Mike Tomlin's upcoming decision on an offensive coordinator is SO important, not only to this franchise, but also to Ben personally. I think the right guy can get Ben to elevate his game to the next level. The wrong guy will continue to enable Ben to make bad decisions on the field. I may be wrong about this, but I think Randy Fichtner is the WRONG guy. We don't need another buddy for Ben, we need a strong and experienced, maybe even a headstrong, offensive coordinator that will cause Ben to THINK differently on the field. He needs to be hearing a new voice and a fresh perspective. He's at a crossroads and I think this coaching decision is as big for Ben as it is for anybody. DON'T SCREW IT UP, TOMLIN![/quote:12upcmat]

I agree it's important which is why I don't want Haley. Even if I thought Haley was an outstanding OC I still wouldn't want him, he's had too many problems with personnel over the years, that's a big red flag for me. I also don't believe Ben is getting into he huddle and saying screw what they called, this is what we are doing. So it really doesn't matter if Ben and Fichtner are buddies, as long as the plays being sent in are good ones and shows better situational play calling and in game adjustments then that's all we are looking for here right?

Like it or not, Ben is a 100 million dollar QB, he has a say what goes on and a smooth working relationship is better then a strained one.

Also, I'd be ok with Hue Jackson, he looks like a good fit for the team too.[/quote:12upcmat]

I like Hue Jacskson as well and he could be a good fit. But I wouldn't dismiss Haley as an option just yet. Haley coached with Bill Parcells and I think he's a lot like Parcells in that he has a clear plan, knows what he wants to do and if you don't get on board there will be confrontation. Confrontation is not a BAD thing. Did you see Bill O'Brien get in the face of Tom Brady a few weeks ago because he screwed up in the red zone. Brady is arguably the best QB of the era and O'Brien read him the riot act for one critical mistake. I LOVED THAT!!! Did you ever see BA and Ben have any confrontation on the sidelines. NO! They probably needed to have a few. It always looked like they were discussing who was going to make dinner reservations that evening. As the old adage goes, steel sharpens steel. Haley would not be afraid to get in the face of any player and I kind of like that. Parcells wasn't afraid to do it. Ditka wasn't afraid to do it. Why do we want to criticize Haley when he has confrontations with players. I think that can actually be a healthy thing at times. There was just too much buddy-buddy, chummy-chummy stuff going on with the Steelers. I'm not saying I want to be constant conflict, but getting in somebody's face from time to time is great!

BILL O'BRIEN IS MY HERO!!!

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

TERRY BRADSHAW. I'M 29 AND I'M ALL ABOUT BRADSHAW. My son is named after Ben btw. But still it's gotta be Bradshaw. The defenses he beat in all our Super Bowls were better than any of the d's that Ben has had to play in my opinion.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011

Bradshaw. Not even close. It's like asking Lambert or Farrior.

21. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011

Can't the question be...

Could have Ben won 4 superbowls with Terry's team? and could Ben play in Bradshaw's era?

or

Could Terry win superbowls with the team Ben had? and could Terry play in today's era?

I wasn't even born when Terry was wearing a leather helmet and playing with a dream team...

Plus, Terry is the most annoying person to watch on fox. His ego is way bigger than Ben's and I'm sure he's had way more woman.

22. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

The OL would be the main difference. TB wouldnt have covered for the weakness or the lack of protection. While Im glad we have Ben, I sure miss TB.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011

Doubt that he's had more women. Besides, Terry married his!
    Leather helmet? Really?

24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

You may think he's annoying, but he's been smart enough to parlay that "dumb" personna of his into a lot of CAAAAAAASH!

25. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Oops..... My bad. Guess I figured Randle El,Hines Ward. The Bus and the refs won that game. LOL