1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bradshaw/Roethlisberger

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, May 8, 2018.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Here's an interesting question I am pondering. Would Roethlisberger won 4 Super Bowls with the 1970's Steelers? Would Bradshaw have won 2 Super Bowls in the 2000's? Would the Steelers have won any additional Super Bowls in either era with the other QB?

Super Bowl IX and Super Bowl XL are somewhat comparable in that the defense basically won the games, so either Bradshaw or Roethlisberger would have won that game.

Super Bowl X and Super Bowl XLIII are somewhat similar, with a wide receiver each winning the Super Bowl MVP. Would Bradshaw been as clutch as Ben in Super Bowl XLIII?

Super Bowl XIII is the one I think only Bradshaw wins. To me Bradshaw developed into a QB that had "ice in his veins." Roethlisberger, while he has been great, Bradshaw had that Brady-mystique in big games. Roethlisberger maybe wins that game because I think he has a more complete skill-set. Ben would have flourished in the 70's calling his own plays. Bradshaw would have been drinking buddies with Arians as OC and would have really aired it out, if he didn't get killed by the weaker O-line.

Super Bowl XIV, either quarterback would have beat the Rams, but Stallworth may have ended up MVP.

Would Roethlisberger beat Miami in 1972? Would he had a title in the early 80's? Would Bradshaw have beat the Patriots in 2004 or 2016, or the Packers in 2010? Bradshaw probably wins in 2016, but if you compare Bradshaw's early career, he doesn't win in 2004.

My conclusion: Bradshaw wins five of the six the Steelers won, plus one more. Roethlisberger wins five of the six, but doesn't win one in the early 80's.

What's your opinion?

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would say Ben is the better overall qb but bradshaw had more of those clutch moments.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Mason Rudolph will be better than Roethlisberger and Bradshaw. You heard it here first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    ...and then the Patriots will pick him up, and we will continue to lose to the them. There I fixed it for you!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    KOrdell was better than all of them.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Either Bradshaw or Ben would have won Super Bowl XXX IMHO. Other than that I think the rest of the Super Bowls would have played out the same no matter which QB was in.

Only one in question to me was the Packers game. Ben played like garbage early, but he was great after that. We lost that game due to defense and Mendenhall. Not sure Bradshaw would have made a difference.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure how you sleep at night MyTake with all those permutations rolling around in your noggin like that - but I think you missed the most important perennial question of all - would either BB or Bradshaw have beat the Cowgirls in '95 vs the nightmare that actually took place? I gotsta know![​IMG]

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nah, we lost the packers game because of the offensive line. Both Bens interception and Mendenhalls fumble were ultimately on poor line play imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I cannot believe I forgot about Super Bowl XXX. I guess I had deleted #14 from my memory. With either TB or Big Ben, the Steelers do not get off to such a sluggish start and either QB wins that game.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Now, seeing as how this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world................

• Like Like x 1
  11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    If they wouldn't have thrown the game like Niel did.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Steelers don't win the 4 SBs in the 70s without that D. The run game was more important then, Bradshaw threw something like 10 Passes in one of the first Super Bowls.

I do think Ben could have played in the 70s far easier than Bradshaw now. A Terry Bradshaw drafted in 2010 instead of 1970 wouldn't have gotten 5 years to figure it out. Including, I might add, losing his job to an active drug user. In today's league, he'd have been released or left as an FA after 3-4 yrs, found a spot where he could freelance without structure to his hearts desire, would have put up some interesting numbers but would have won nothing. Noll and Bradshaw likely hated each other, neither are as successful without the other.

Ben would have been successful back then, he could have played the style. More sandlot, less structure, seems right up Ben's alley.

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I would like to know how many Superbowls the Steelers would have won with Marino as QB.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bradshaw had more heart and was a bigger competitor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Miami won zero with Marino, and were coached by Don Schula -offensive genius. So my guess is Dan would have won zero in Pitt too.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For what it’s worth, those Miami teams had lousy defense. Safe to say we agree that was not the case in Pittsburgh.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably 2 or 3 more. They don't lose to Dallas and definitely beat SD the year before and Dan gets his revenge against 49ers.

With those Cowher defenses and ground games, probably 1 more SB in there too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bradshaw had the best defense in the league for his 13 year career which won a lot of games for him, Ben didnt have that luxury which is a key reason you cant compare the two QBs....

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben had a pretty good defense up until 2012.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well that was 6 years ago and ben still won in spite of the handicap, not sure if bradshaw could have done that with that defense and some pretty poor Oline play until munch showed up....

21. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Better at what?

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Mendenhall's fumble was on Mendenhall. He got sloppy with the ball. That wasn't he line's fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And due to the fact that his go-to guy on that last drive wasn't a Santonio or an Antonio, but a one-trick pony named Mikey!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Serious question. I thought of a twist to this. Let's say we had either Neil O'Donnell or Kordell Stewart for every one of our Super Bowls. Would they have won any of them?

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Anytime a RB fumbles they have to bare some of the responsibility but Mendy was hit simultaneously from both sides because Legs and TE Johnson blew their assignments. Johnsons was really perplexing because he didn't even attempt to block Matthews.

I still hold a grudge against him to this day. And then he was clueless to what was going on and where the football was.

I blame him and Legs more than Mendy.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81e2cf79/Mendenhall-fumble