1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bradshaw interview for those that may have missed it

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Apr 9, 2020.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He always says what's on his mind, very interesting on his thoughts about big Ben and Brady.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ben is a better QB than Terry was. I'll have some of what he's smoking.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It was a decent interview. Terry is a character but I can dig what he said. He was open and honest and kept it Terry-esque... I dug it personally. My trips to da burgh in and around town have provided many stories from many folks. Some pissed me off others seemed shady honestly, but he bore it out and gave an old man's take... I dug I and I understand.

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Two different times with different rules for the defensive backs with Ben then with Terry. If Terry threw same amount as Ben with the same rules as today, it probably is a lot closer then you think and maybe even advantage to Terry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Hard to say, but while Ben was elusive in the pocket and extended plays, TB was a scrambler who ran like a fullback when he hit the open field. I actually think Terry's game would translate well in today's nfl.

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Last night I watched a replay of our `75 Steelers game against the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. Yep, Bradshaw could scramble for sure.

Other things I got reminded of:

Joe Green was hurt and tried to play but was ineffective. He eventually got sat down.

The wind was a factor. Gerela missed 2 FG`s and an extra point. Seemed like both teams had bad punters.

How big Franco and Lambert were compared to other players in their positions. Also how Franco was unusually great at being a cut back runner for such a big RB and also his quickness. He definitely was not protecting himself in that game as some like to stick that label on him.

Some will hate this, but have to say I was not impressed with either Bradshaw or Staubach except for a few key throws by Bradshaw to Swan that resulted in HUGE game changing plays. I think this was the last year a DB could mug a receiver, so stats were bad for QB`s and this game marked the end of the old school football era.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You know TB was an enigma, his career stats were almost the same as another QB from that Era, Jim Plunkett. Plunkett had 34 more int's than TD's during career, TB had only 2 more TD's than int's career, 2 more SB wins (which got him into the HOF), but Plunkett played on some really bad teams. I guess my point is, while TB will forever be in our hearts, he really was not that exceptional in most of his career. While Plunkett was not a scrambler, makes me wonder how he (or a couple of others) from that generation of QB's would have fared with the Steelers. Just meaningless thoughts, but still I think a couple of those guys would have had the same results. That said, the one difference in TB was he was fearless (especially after reclaiming the job from Joe Gilliam). That one trait (besides a cannon arm) is what made the difference IMHO.

9. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Here's what I know. The bigger the game the better Bradshaw played especially at crunch time. Ben has been mostly sporadic but also had some incredible moments himself but not to the level that Terry did.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Terry was Super Joe before Montana was Super Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As others said, hard to compare stats given how much the game has been orchestrated to favor offense now.

Always thought TB got forgotten when talking about the greats and he showed up when it mattered most. I give the edge to TB as the better QB.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I had a list of a bunch of reasons why Bradshaw is much better than Ben, but this alone closes the deal. Everything I was going to post about leadership, arm strength/accuracy, play calling ability, etc. is just icing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting thoughts, though.

Ive always thought Plunkett was underrated given how awful the Patriots were, and how he consistently stepped up to do his job from the bench at the Raiders. His INT rate is also probably due in part to the extent he threw downfield compared to others at the time.

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, every time I saw Plunkett throw it was long downfield passes. He was bombs away.

15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Arians and Plunkett would have been a match made in heaven if not for the different eras.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree with this sentiment. The fire in the eyes of TB when the game was on the line and he would look down the line of scrimmage before the snap is when I knew the offense would make the necessary yardage. I was confident, even during real time of the game situation. Failure was not an option for TB on offense and Jack Lambert exuded that same will of steel on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey 86WardsWay.

4-0 in Super Bowls. No stage was too big for the man. What else is there to say. Nuff' said.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The gap between Bradshaw and Plunkett is wider than you make it out to be. That is why the latter will never get into the Hall of Fame despite being the quarterback for two Super Bowl winners. Plunkett came into the league in 1972, one year after Bradshaw, but he was a terrible quarterback until 1980. He really only had three good years, but two of them were on championship teams.

The touchdown-to-interception ratio is a huge gap, especially when you consider how much of Plunkett's production came after the league changed the rules to benefit the passing game. Those changes certainly helped Bradshaw, too, but he took better advantage of them.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Lambert really wasn't big for his position. He was tall, but very light for a middle linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I loved that TB was our QB for all the reasons people said he was dumb. He did what "nobody" expected at times and he did it successfully. QB's back then were supposed to do what the coach told them and Terry did what he thought would win.

He was the last QB in the NFL to call his own plays.

He was the last QB in the NFL to take a shotgun snap (which sailed over his head)

He was unique in a lot of ways!