1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Boxing

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by CANTON STEEL, Oct 21, 2011.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah IF Joe could catch him a couple of good times Tyson would be out for sure.

2. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's so hard to predict these types of matchups. Different times and different fight game. Tyson tarnished his legacy and that makes some forget how fearsome he was. I don't remember Joe constantly ending fights by KO 30 seconds in like Tyson did so many times. But I also don't remember Mike fighting the caliber of opponents that Joe constantly had to face.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah really the 60s and 70s were a great time for boxing. One thing about Frazier fighting Ali though is that Frazier didn't really fight him when he was at his ABSOLUTE fastest if you think about it because of the draft dodging thing. What's amazing to me is that Ali spent what might've been his prime years SPEAKING instead of BOXING! I watched this thing on Netflix the other day about the Ali and Holmes fight in the 80s and it was pretty sad. They basically were saying they think that fight accelerated his parkinsons. As I was watching it I kept thinking about how much slower Ali's speech was and how he just didn't seem "right". I can't believe they let that fight go on as long as it did. That was a complete diss to the legacy of Ali.

4. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    I usually get a lot of slack from boxing fans when i say this but I never liked Ali. His big mouth was basically why.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL. That's the reason I DO like him! People I work with tell me they can't believe I like Ali but I just think that he did everything mostly in fun and the things that he would say really were funny. But what I was referring to when I mentioned him speaking were all the times he would speak at universities. His interviews with Howard Cossell are classic to me. I used to watch them all the time on ESPN Classic. I wish I still had that channel but for some reason they took it off DirectTv. They used to have a LOT of classic boxing. That's where I got to watch a lot of it.

6. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah I knew what you meant by him speaking but it worked for my point too so......LOL

Funny thing is I like Mayweather Jr and he's a big mouth too. Although i'm starting to lose my interest in him. I also use to like Camacho but didn't care for him after he went downhill and still insisted on talking smack.

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Joe would not have to look for Tyson. Like Joe, Tyson never took a step backward. Tyson did have decent head movement. That was his whole D.
    Tyson won most of his fights in the dressing room.Remember when he fought Marvis (Joes kid)? Was over in what 33 secs? Marvis was beat before he came out of his dressing room. I dont think he ever got out of his corner.

Why do I have such a dislike for Tyson? Here is why(and has nothing to do with Mike)....I was a amateur fighter in the late 70s early 80s. Cus DAmato brought a kid named Mike Tyson to the what I remember as the Pottsville Pa. Moose Lodge (might have been Pottstown Pa. cant recall) for a boxing card on a Saturday night.

My manager talked to Cus and said he had a heavyweight with about 40 fights who was 20 years old. You have somebody he could fight? Thats how matches were made. In the dressing room a hour or two before first bell.

Cus said I have a kid whos 16 with 5 fights.I dont want him fighting someone 4 years older with 35 more fights. You have any other heavyweights?

My manager said yeah got a 18 year old kid whos had 8 fights.

Cus said we will fight him.

So long story not so short......Tyson ducked me. (of coarse he didnt but Cus did) Would I have beaten him? Dont know. But the kid he did fight. Tyson won a decision. And I would knock that kid around the gym 3 times a week.

Thats my thing with Tyson..

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude that would've been SOOOOO cool!!! Imagine if you could tell your buddies you got punched in the face by Mike Tyson! I think they would respect you more for taking a punch from him than giving him one! LOL! But you know that's probably true. As far as the thing about winning in the locker room I totally agree. Tyson had enough power to get in to people's heads that were probably even fundamentally better fighters than him. I think the reason he would NEVER have been able to beat Holyfield is because Holyfield didn't fear him. The same with Lennox Lewis. He functioned as a bully just like Foreman did. I heard that Ali asked D'Amato I believe it was what he should do when he fights Foreman and he said "come right out at the bell and punch him" because Foreman expected everyone to cower in fear. If you watch the fight you will see that Ali took that advice and pretty much broke the will of Foreman. Actually Foreman beat the count when Ali floored him but instead of trying to fight on he just walked to his corner and really gave up if you think about it. The count was only 9 when he got up but he just walked off because he had had enough. The thing I love about Frazier was he got knocked down 6 times and STILL was getting up! Tyson would NEVER have done that.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Also if you have some of your old fights Myron you should post them on here!! That would be awesome to see you in action banging some bums heads!

10. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Know I had some of my fights were broadcast on WNEP TV.......Cant find them...Just the same,,,If you find them please post...would love to see them!!!!

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I wouldn't know how in the world to find something like that but if I did I'd be telling TTF about it for sure so we could watch you in action. That would make my day.

12. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Who are you? lol

Maybe I can locate them for you :shrug:

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Just type in myronwemissyinz on wnep tv! LOLOLOLOL!!!

14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL yeah that might do it. Think I will contact WNEP. Im sure they have them in their archives.Maybe they would dust them off and download them to a CD.Thought about doing that a few times just never have.

On another subject maybe you,Canton or someone else could help me.

Im trying to find out about a kid out of the Philly area. Name of Joe Thomas.Big guy 6-5 255.

Finished second in the National GG Tournement in 1980. Than won the thing in 81.Im sure he turned pro after that but cant find a thing about him.

Obviously didnt do much. Wondering what happened to him. Just curious dont knock yourself out!

Thanks in advance!

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I googled "joe thomas philadelphia boxer" and the first site it pulled up was "pagoldengloves.com" and it has teams of boxers or something. But it said that guy was one of them. What's ironic is there's actually a guy named MYRON that was a boxer there too! I don't know which one he is but I started dying laughing when I saw that! His name was Myron Taylor and he was from Philly. But we all know that he's just a poser and you are the REAL Myron! Joe Frazier's son was also listed with them too. If you saw the pics you could probably pick out who was who but I can't. But the address is "pagoldengloves.com/70.html. That's where I found them.

16. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah I found that site long ago when I was looking for stuff on Joe Thomas.

No that Myron is not me. Never made it that far into the GGs.Thanks for looking though.

I did email WNEP tonight about my old films. I will let you know how I make out.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Sweet! Hopefully they don't find an old fight of some guy thumping you all over the ring. lol. Also there's this guy that has his own YOUTUBE channel and since I was born in 1982 it was the year of the worlds fair. Well this year was the 30th anniversary of it AND me. But instead of doing a special about BFT PBS did a special about the World's Fair. The reason I was interested in watching it is because that fair was here in Knoxville and I was hoping I might see someone I know on the old footage. Well I didn't see anyone but it caused me to go to YOUTUBE and find this guy's channel called "knoxtnarchive" and what he would do is show the entire broadcasts of news programs from the early to mid 80s. The reason I was telling you this is you also might be able to find someone like that on YOUTUBE that does stuff like that. Like some old WNEP broadcasts and if you can contact THAT guy he could probably give you the hookup. I was actually quite surprised at the amount of old news shows on there so I would say that it's a real possibility.

18. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL..The only film they would find of me getting my ass thumped would be from that Joe Thomas guy. He did REALLY kick my ass!! Thats why I want to know what happened to him.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Did he knock you out? What was your record? Was fighting that guy what showed you that maybe going pro just wasn't in the cards for you? I've always thought it would really suck to be the guy that had to fight the Tyson's or Ali's on your way up the ranks or rather when they were on their way up the ranks. That's why I like the Cinderella Man movie because he actually wound up not just being the guy that got his brains beat out all the time.

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah Thomas was the only guy to take me off my feet in 40 fights...35-5....And he did it 4 times....Once in the first.. 3 times in the second...The second knock down in the second round I ended up out of the ring my back on a judges table. Knees over the second rope my back on the judges table..LOL.....Had a few trainers wanted to turn me...Was not interested.... Had a great job at the time. Knew alot of the local pros who had a hard time spelling their name...Didnt want to be in their shoes.....Its a tough business...Thought Id pass!!!

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dang man! I can just hear Cossell in the background "DOWN GOES MYRONWEMISSYINZ! DOWN GOES MYRONWEMISSYINZ!" I don't blame you though for not trying to go pro. But can you say for sure just based on the things that you've seen yourself that boxing is a very dirty business?

22. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Its a tough life....You better be really good and have really good managent around you if you want to make a living in this life!! JMO!!!

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say that's right. I mean Tyson was already a pretty pathetic person but Don King REALLY pushed passed the point of no return.

24. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah Joe turned pro in '81. The guy kicked everyones butt too! He only lost 2 fights in his pro career and had 1 draw. He had a winning streak of 23 fights (including the 1 draw in between) until he met up with West Turner in '94. He lost that fight by TKO in the 8th. He was about done after that. He won 2 more fights after that loss but was basically fighting 4 to 6 round fights at this point. His next fight after his loss to Turner was a win on points in a 4 rd fight and his next fight after that he won by 1st rd KO.

TBH he really never fought any big named opponents..........until his last and final pro fight. He faced off with the powerful Oleg Maskaev. Oleg was just starting his pro career and only had 4 fights up to that point, all by KO. "Big" Joe Thomas (Big was his nickname, and i'm sure myron could attest to that, lol) was sporting a 23-1-1 record and was Oleg's toughest opponent to that point, by far. Oleg won that fight on points in an 8 rd fight. That was all she wrote for Joe. I believe he retired after that fight.

Oleg went on to win the vacant PABA Heavyweight title in a fight against Nikolai Kulpin. His next fight he was stripped of the belt for fighting Oliver McCall in a non title fight. A fight he lost by TKO in the 1st rd. Oleg went on to win several more title belts before calling it a day in 2009 with a 36-7 record. 8-)

25. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks Canton!!

Was wondering what happened to him because I thought he had a really bright future. Looks like he did well for himself all things considered. Maybe he just didnt get the brakes.(They help too BFT forgot those..be good have good mgt and get some brakes!!)

Thanks again for the time and effort Canton!!