1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BOWL SEASON....PLAYERS TO WATCH

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Dec 17, 2016.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Hey all as the college bowl games get started today I thought this would be a cool thread to start. I don't follow college football like a lot of you so I thought it would be cool to post guys the casual fan can keep an eye on that may be worth a Steeler pick. For example I was reading about the Camellia Bowl with App St and Toledo today. The obvious player is Toledo RB Hunt but also some things to watch from a Steelers point of view are:

*** The ASU secondary, getting 20 int's on the year
    *** The ASU oline plowing the way for 200+ rushing yards in 7 games
    *** Toledo JR QB Woodside #2 in passer rating, 43 td's 9 int's almost 4000yds
    *** Both offensive lines have all-stars and veterans, and now it’ll be up to the linebackers on both sides to bust through that. Toledo’s Ja’Wuan Woodley was one of the MAC’s best all-around playmakers both against the run and in the backfield. Eric Boggs leads a strong, experienced ASU linebacking corps that swarms around the ball.

Feel free to point out players in other games(not just today all bowl season) that you all feel us Steeler fans should watch....On this nice snowy Saturday here in the East I think it might come in handy as some football may be in my future....lol!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    NW QB Grayson, NC QB Turbiskey Clemson QB, Watson As I have said in other threads
    I know we need defensive playmakers but the limited amount of time I watch college football
    I am concentrating on the future QB of the PGH Steelers. He is out there, our scouts have to find him.
    this year or next year.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am all for finding a future QB but I think we can be super bowl contenders at least the next 3 years and with that said I do not want to pick a QB before round three. One guy I want to look at is Pat Mahomes Tex Tech. The little I read on him was pretty interesteing, now I want to watch some film on him and see what he does from here on out, anyone have any opinions on him?

Also in tonight's game Wyoming has a RB Hill that had a good season and we all know a RB is something we are looking at. On BYU they have a Safety Kia Nacua who is worth watching as well, if anyone decides they want to watch this game tonight.

4. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Mahomes is a gunslinger with about as strong of an arm I've seen, just not too sure about decision making. While most people say Watson is the best QB out there, IMO, Turbiskey of UNC is. I feel like he is accurate and makes great decisions. Speaking of UNC, it will be interesting where Ryan Switzer goes and what round he gets drafted in. He's a slot WR that reminds me of an Edelman, Welker or Tavon Austin. He is UNC's all time reception leader and tied the record for most punt return TDs. But back to Watson, I just feel like he turns the ball over too much, don't see him ever holding a steady job in the NFL, but who knows, I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I really can't get excited about big 12 QB's. The pro game is so much different
    then what their playing. Traits I am interested in a qb Measurable's 6' 2" and over, Can he read defenses quickly,
    accuracy, CAN HE MAKE ALL THE THROWS, toughness, can he play in cold weather? These are some of the traits I will be looking for
    in the next PGH Steeler QB.

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Switzer will be interesting to watch
    Elijah Hood RB not playing in the Sun bowl. will return to school next year .whew.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is some info I found on the games today for those who didn't get enough football yesterday, lol. Feeling lazy after a busy weekend and have the day off or need a break from cleaning up after the big weekend, here you go.....

St. Petersburg Bowl 11AM ESPN:

Who to watch:
    Mississippi State wide receiver Fred Ross should be a late-round draft pick. Defensive ends Johnathan Calvin (seven sacks) and A.J. Jefferson might be the best of the rest.

Quick Lane Bowl 2:30 ESPN:

Who to watch:
    Boston College defensive end Harold Landry should be selected in the early rounds of the draft. He tied for first in the country with 15 sacks. Matt Milano (LB) is expected to be a mid-round pick, and teammates John Johnson (FS) and Bobby Wolford (FB) should also hear their names called at the draft. Maryland's William Likely III (CB) could be a late-round pick at best.

Camping World Independence Bowl 5PM ESPN2:

Who to watch:
    Vanderbilt linebacker Zach Cunningham is projected to be a first-round pick, and likely the second linebacker selected. Teammate Will Holden (OT) should be a mid-round pick. NC State's Matthew Dayes (RB) and Jack Tocho (CB) are projected as late-round picks.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not gonna get a chance to watch anything today between work and the kids basketball game no tv for me. But if anyone is watching today sounds like there are a few players to look at, here is a nice link with some info:

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2016-12-27/wednesday-s-college-bowl-games-glance

If anyone watches the Indiana LB Scales I would be interested in hearing what ya saw.....thanks.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Huskers vs Tennessee today. Some guys I've liked throughout the season for Nebraska (my CFB viewing this year has been low unfortunately)

Unfortunately senior WR Jordan Westerkamp is injured and will not play. He would make a nice #3 or 4 in the NFL I believe. Compare to Abberdaris (sp?) from Wisconsin.
    Senior safety Nate Gerry is ineligible due to academic violations. Nice career stats and a lot of starts but don't see the range for the NFL. STs guy for sure though.

Senior TE Cethan Carter is a nice receiving TE and would compliment a blocking TE. Not a do-it all guy imo. Could develop in time. No need for the Steelers imo.

Senior RB Terrell Newby should have a good day vs Tenn's run defense. Very comparable to Touissant right down to height and weight.

Senior WR Brandon Reilly has good speed and is usually a big play guy. Again a #3 or 4 at the next level.

Some underclassmen would be Junior CB Chris Jones. Really like this guy, don't know if he'll declare.

Sophomore Safety Aaron Williams should be a stud in the next couple years. Good guy to watch today though.

Junior De'Mornay Pierson-El came on big time as a freshman WR and return guy but lost his soph year to injury and seemed to take a back seat this year. Would like to see him return for his SR year and get that swagger back.

No one I'd really like the Steelers to grab unlike last year and FB Andy Janovich. Chris Jones if he declared but I think he stays for his senior year which would be a good move as he's really only been a starter this year.

As for Tennessee

I'm really going to watch Senior CB Cameron Sutton who was a hot topic last year before deciding to return to school. Nebraska has some nice WRs to see how he competes against them all.

Unfortunately Maybin is hurt so he won't play.

Junior DE Derek Barnett will be another one to watch. He is all set to declare for the draft and could be the Tenn all time sack leader with a great performance today. 6'3" 270.

Tenn. has some nice RBs too. They should have a good day running vs Neb. Not sure if any will declare though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    TURTLE
    there is ONLY ONE
    bowl game of interest today
    :smiley1:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    ya know you're right, the Michigan - Fla St should be a good one:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    :facepalm:

:lolol:

well at least there is an ACC team involved
    i wish
    Pitt Panthers upheld our winning :shrug:

i'm hoping
    i can be
    :dancing:
    :thumbs_up:
    :bowdown:
    :rawk:
    upload_2016-12-30_12-33-26.jpeg

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Well I'm definitely recording the UNC game. Gotta check out your guy Hood. Hope they get the win today!!!

14. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    he's not playing today
    he said he is returning to school in 2017

We need to win a bowl game it's been a while
    Mitch Trubisky said he would decide after the bowl if he is going pro

something tells me he is going to stay
    win or lose

Naz Jones is the only underclassman going pro so far

• Like Like x 1
  15. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    nothing to see today

move on folks
    move on

lol

16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    My Little Mitch In Big Games
    awful just awful

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    There was something to see at the Neb-Tenn game but alas...it was all Tennessee and DE Derek Barnett. He was a one man wrecking crew. Nebraska LT Gates, first name Swingin', was a turnstile and Barnett abused him all day. He showed a lot of hustle and burst off the LOS. I was impressed.

Junior WR Josh Malone was pretty good as well. But I wasn't impressed with RB Kamara for all the hype he gets.

• Like Like x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just a one game performance so not much to go on for me. He dropped some easy passes but had some other nice plays. 7 for 31 rushing and 7 for 46 receiving.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Corey Taylor WR Western Michigan is a stud.