1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Both Defense's in 5-1-5. Burns on Edelman, Butler on Brown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Jan 21, 2017.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    It looks like both teams will use a 5-1-5 defense. 3 Down linemen with 2 edge rushers, 1 middle LB spying, and 5 men in coverage.

It probably a lock that the Pat's 5 men in coverage will be 2 strong safetys in the flats, 2 CB's covering X and Z, and a deep FS to help if Brown or Coates gets behind the CB.
    That means Malcolm Butler has to single cover AB........ advantage Steelers.

The Pats are going to use this set because they want 5 to rush the passer and stop the run, with Dont'a Hightower spying Bell, and the 2 strong safetys in the flats on run support to stop Bell, and cover him and our TE in the passing game. That puts 8 men in the box to stop Bell, or cover a Y receiver or TE with the 2 safetys in the flats.

That means that the mismatch is Malcolm Butler trying to cover AB 1 on 1.

************************************************************************************

The Steelers will certainly mirror that defensive scheme - no doubt in my mind.
    With one modification.

Instead of 2 strong safetys in the flats, they will use Shazier like a strong safety because he is big and strong enough to cover TE Bennett.

That means that Burns is about 99.9% certain to cover Edelman 1 on 1.

FOR ME, THAT'S THE BIG QUESTION. CAN BURNS COVER EDELMAN 1 ON 1.???

I've spent all week watching youtube video of Edelman and Brady. If Edelman is having trouble creating separation from the other teams best cover corner, the Pats will move Edelman around, they send him in motion, put him in the slot, or set him in the backfield like an RB.
    This means that if they can't beat Artie Burns covering Edelman 1 on 1, they will try to beat Burns mentally by trying to confuse him.

Another thing about all of this is that the Pats have a another guy named Hogan that is as good a #2 receiver as there is in the league. He's as good as Coates, Eli, DHB, Ayers, or anybody else we can use as a #2. But I think Cockrell can handle Hogan.

I'm certain that Malcolm Butler can't cover AB 1 0n 1, but he will have help deep from the FS playing center field. AB is going to have to beat Butler in the short game, and I feel certain he can.

The question keeps coming back to Burns being able to cover Edelman 1 on 1.

I've been watching video of Burns, and he is real aggressive in short coverage, which could result in him grabbing Edelmans jersey, and pass interference calls for early contact.

The Pats have this play where they run a bubble screen to Edelman, but instead of catch and run, he catches and throws deep - like to Amendola or Hogan - being covered by Cockrell.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Steeel

Steeel Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Edlemen is going to catch balls. I will label it a success if Burns does not get beat deep and limits YAC. Edlemen is going to be the target of 8-10 quick 3-4 yard passes across the middle. Burns won't have much time to break those types of passes. He will have to make spontaneous tackles. That should be doable if he accepts receptions on those passes to make those tackles.

3. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015

They do like to drag route Edelman, and throw those quick slants, but Brady doesn't throw crossing route passes too well, its his biggest weakness.
    Brady strength is working the sidelines, and he throws a nice deep ball over the middle.
    First time Edelman tries to run a drag and gets laid out by Shazier, that should put an end to that.

The weird thing is Brown also runs a nice drag and quick slant, and Ben also doesn't throw a good crossing route ball.
    Seems to me that Ben's best throws are to slot receivers running stops, curls, and deep sideline heroes. I think Hines molded him.lol

As for Burns, he plays like Woodson used to, real aggressive on the short stuff because he had confidence in his makeup speed if the WR got past him.

I hope Burns plays Edelman soft and he lets Edelman do all that jitterbug stuff for nothing. Burns can get beat deep, no worry, AB is gonna beat Butler deep too.

I think we are going to get to Brady easier than they are going to get to Ben.
    I think Bell will out-perform Blount.
    I think AB will beat Butler worse than Edelman beats Burns.
    I think both teams TE's are going to make big plays over the middle.

41 - 24 Steelers.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think we might mix in some zone but yeah, Patriots will probably do what they normally do single high man to man. Hogan is their hotter receiver right now. I think Burns will be on Hogan because of height/length and Cockrell on Edelman. Maybe Gay on Edelman if he's in the slot. Everybody will get their shot. It will take a team effort.

5. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I think I like the idea of Burns on Edelman better because minus the pick plays, Edelman is mostly a possession receiver who Burns can have the simple task of "just keep him in front of you." Burns on Hogan scares the heck out of me because I can see Burns getting lost in coverage if the rush can't get to Brady and Hogan streaking down field for a home run ball. Burns will be in a trial by fire tomorrow cause this will be the stiffest challenge for him yet but the easier the better for the rook.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2016
    The Pats beat guy said that they will most likely put their best corner on our number 2 receiver and bracket AB.

This means that TE, RB, and any extra receivers would have the match up advantages in the pass game

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sneakinin

sneakinin New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Edelman has only thrown 2 passes in his career(not going to happen). Pats need to slowdown Bell. I don't believe they do 5-1-5. You are right Brown will get the better of Butler but he will prevent the big play or get help deep. They will rush 3 and drop 8 just like last meeting even though Big Ben is QBing. Good analysis on how they use Edelman but passing is really not in his repertoire. Hope both teams play their best.

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    5-1-5?????

I just don't have time to explain why you're wrong but you are.

Cajun