1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BOOK IT

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Mar 27, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I knew that was coming steel.:smiley1: I agree about the LVE hype. Not really wanting him in the 1st either but his tackles are much higher. Picks are higher. Not the end all be all but awareness seems higher to me. We have hole pluggers at ILB now and that is what I see more of from Evans and LVE. I've watched both play. We need that different type of LB more in the mold of shazier. I know we won't find that exact quality but closer to him than Vince is what I want. I don't see that in either of those two.

The speed is decent but will be average in the NFL. I also know the competition was different for the two but bama had its share of weaker competition too and those numbers for Evans should be better to me. He's going to be upping that competition again at the next level and if he didn't do it at bama and didn't overtake the players in front of him in college, how will he make that jump over proven NFL players?

We have guys that can put up average, we need above average or something else in their game show signs of being on their way to above average, like speed and quickness or awareness. He is showing average across the board in numbers to me. As far as TJ goes, he didn't set the world on fire here, yet, but he also switched positions in college. That takes a little more time. He even switched from offense to defense. Evans didn't. :cool:

2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's OK that we disagree bud. That's what this forum is for. It's all good.:smiley1::cool:

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Great information here mac. And this why I love this board and our draft conversations year after year. I always try to learn from others to add to my own analysis.

I never try to change anyone's opinion or say I'm right and you're wrong. I do love the conversation though.

Usually in each draft year there are 3-5 prospects that I love and am passionate about. Evans is one this year. Rudolph another.

In looking at Evans vs LVE, they are 2 different types of LBs. Even though I look at them both as as 3-4 ILBs for the a Steelers, LVE is more of a watch the QB, diagnosis the plaY and react. He has great awareness and is a smart LB. He has good instincts and is good in zone coverage which lead to his INTs.

Evans use to be an edge rusher who had to learn to become a LB over the past few years. He is more of a run and chase LB and blitzer. He still does not have that MLB awareness.

As fat as production, I would argue LVE was the only guy in Boise. He had lots to eat. Lots of plays to be made. Evans was surrounded by 1st round talent everywhere. He had to be on his game to make plays. I think given all that talent, he did make his fair share of plays.

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh i know. I just dont want u to lookz strictly at numbers. His sophmore year he made some plays that even saban said hadnt been made there before. Now i wont go as far as to say he is the best to come out of there but i will say as of right now he top 4

5. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    We have Williams and now Bostic.. we don't need another 4.75-4.85 ilb

We need an ilb with a motor like shazier..

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe he didnt run the 40 cause he wants to drop to a better team lol i dont know what is going on with him other than the jnjuries he did play thru. I still think we would get a hell of a player if he falls. I would be disappoined if harrison is still there amd we take him. Only because i think harrison is a top 7 player in this draft

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Rashaan Evans to NFL Scouts:

It's a little weird. If he is still being affected by groin injuries then that is a medical red flag and a different story.

I've always said that I don't think Evans is a burner. He is not a Shazier 4.3 or he isn't even a Roquan 4.5. He is likely more like 4.65. Could it be worse? Maybe.

We don't know what his 40 is, and for a LB I am not it even matters. I would rather know his 10 and 20. And I think those numbers would match up with the others.

I see tremendous short area explosion and change of direction on tape.

I love Evans but knowing Colbert, he is probably looking in a different direction anyways. He prefers juniors with proven athletic ability.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    all players have strengths and weaknesses from top to bottom, but not doing this with 3 chances to show all suitors his best assets in the biggest interview of his life is not real smart. that part also makes me question his thought process. too many little things adding up and it sounds like teams are thinking the same thing. it would be different if he was a 100+ tackle a season guy and could run 4.5 even and had some better numbers against the pass but...... red flags. average i still think. i've been wrong before but i don't want this kid in the first. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1