1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bolstering OLB depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelcityclash, May 2, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Like it or not Dupree is here this year and next. The Jags have opted to not pick up Dante Fowler’s 5th year option. Now they could still sign him, but I wonder if he would be on the table for a possible trade. He is only 23, a 3rd pick in the first round of the 2015 draft, and had 8 sacks last year on just under 500 snaps where he played behind Campbell and Ngakoue. Obviously he plays as a DE for the jags but was scouted as a 3-4 OLB prospect coming out of college. He’s rediculously athletic similar to Dupree. Do you think Fowler would be worth a look at this point in his career or would you rather wait to draft one next year?

• Like Like x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would rather wait, otherwise you are just trading guys who are on the same level hoping a change of scenery will flip the switch. Front office said they didn't hesitate on his fifth year option so they obviously like Dupree more than most fans.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wait, Fowler would cost too much to try and sign.

4. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    I don’t know if money will be an issue. Bell will most likely be gone and who knows about Haden. We’ll have some money to play around with.

Fowler has some bend that Dupree hasn’t been able to show thus far and I believe he might be better at the OLB position. I think Dupree would benefit from some competition. He hasn’t had that the last couple of years.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I want to see what we have. The kid from Toledo, Adams and Dupree old team mate huguenin. Chickillo is only signed for a year. Dupree is healthy. Tuitt being healthy also helps. I think we are in far better shape then most think at this point. With a year in the system we may see a much different group then a lot of people are comparing to last year. They should all be bigger, stronger and faster. Last year was just that, last year.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Agree with everything here. Let's also remember Denver drafted Chubb to play opposite Von Miller. They didn't pick up the 5th yr option on Shane Ray and still have Shaquille Barrett... There are options out there that will be available come final cut down via FA or Trade......

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I wouldn't think twice about that trade. Fowler versus Dupree not close. In the playoff against the Patriots, Fowler sacked Brady twice, how many times has Dupree sacked Brady, NONE, I think. Oh he is in coverage most of the times. :hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I actually think we are ok at OLB for this season. I think Adams might surprise and we are pretty much locked in with Dupree for this season with fingers crossed he will finally "get" it this year. After this season I think we might be singing a different tune but like Mac said maybe some of the other guys go all Mike Hilton on us....if Bud flops we are probably looking at another high draft pick at OLB....but for now let's see.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The reason why the Steelers picked up Dupree's option while the fans don't believe it was a good idea, is because the coaches/front office look at more than just statistics. Dupree is a solid player. Is he warranted the salary due next year, probably not, but that is the name of the game. He does have POTENTIAL still to rack up a sack heavy year. From various reports, the Steelers last year had the OLB dropping back in coverage more than in the past.

So long story short, I think we're OK with Outside Linebacker. Our glaring hole in my mind still is INSIDE LINEBACKER.

I like the Bostic pick up, but the guys beneath him are pretty much special teams caliber. We got a chance to see how effective they were in a starting role last year with 250+ yard rush defense performance.

Not a good thing. Can't blame the defensive line either as Hargraves has turned out to be a beast.

We all know Cam Heywards and Tuitt's capabilities.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk...people keep saying that they must like what they see so they picked up the 5th. I don't necessarily see that as them being sold on anything. I think it was pretty much a no brainier because of lack of depth and not much to lose barring a major injury...they can still choose to release him if he doesn't perform to what they reall expect from him. They are waiting for him to break out and have the confidence it will happen soon. As far as bolstering ILB and or OLB after the cuts ,anyone they bring in will be at the expense of one of their picks,UDFAs or in particular Adams getting playing time or even making the 53 or being subjected to being poached from the PS.....a subpar season from Dupree will lead us back to the well in next years draft,unless one of the young guys really surprises....

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hargreaves was hardly as beast last year. He showed up in the beginning to the point a lot of us were asking for increased snaps... Then all of a sudden, he left a lot to be desired. Dirty red was hurt after being thrown into the mix so I'll hold reservations on him. Grave digger might've been hampered by an injured tuition next to him idk but he didn't light it up like I expected last season.

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/steelers-film-room-javon-hargrave-displays-importance-pad-level/

Many people including myself disagree with you.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In fact he did sack Tom last year in the 4th qtr for a 7 yd loss.:cool:

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Of the options likely to be out there, keep an eye on Shane Ray. The Steelers, under Tomlin, have been known for acquiring players from other teams they have had contact with before. Shane Ray will likely be no exception as Bradley Chubb will succeed him.

Question is, do they release Ray or do we have to trade for him? Time will tell.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would Jacksonville want Dupree?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Just to clarify my post wasn’t about Fowler for Dupree, but just the idea of acquiring Fowler. We know he can rush the passer as that was his main job in Jacksonville. As it stands he’s much better as a pass rusher than Dupree. He also plays more angry. He can convert speed to power, has multiple pass rushing moves, and has bend. The issue is he plays DE for a 4-3 team; he’d have to develop as a 3-4 OLB. On the other hand, he might be better suited at that position. He’ll need practice dropping back, but he did that playing for the gators in college and was pretty effective.

Plus he’s 23! I’d rather try to develop a former freakish 1st rounder who has nfl experience than draft a rookie who might be 23 from the getgo. Personally I wouldn’t want to give Dupree a big payday unless he showed real first round talent for two consecutive years. He’ll certainly have his chance though. Time is ticking. We want a Super Bowl with Big Ben and Fowler could help for sure.

Personally I like Fowler much better than Ray, but i’ll Admit...Ray will be easier to acquire. I just don’t see the high ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1