1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blueprint for Steelers to beat PATS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Did KC do anything that Steelers can take from the season opener in order to beat the Patriots?

The scary reality is it might be KC that is the real obstacle in this years playoffs not NE.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Steelers don't have an Eric Berry to cover Gronk (we've always been burned by good tight ends - Dallas, Denver, NE) and with the latest news KC won't have Berry either for the rest of the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/08/eric-berrys-torn-achilles-confirmed/

Pats early demise has often been reported but rarely ever came to pass except when Brady went on IR. Unfortunately, they seem to thrive on adversity. Steelers have a lot of other fish to fry before facing the Pats in mid Dec.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Alex Smith played the game of his life yesterday. Let's see if he can repeat that performance before we anoint the Chiefs as the "team to beat".
    That said chiefs defence was rock solid from the second half on. It sure would be nice if we can break up a few crossing routes and deep balls the way they did.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Chiefs have a better D than the Steelers. It's not even close. I'm glad the Chiefs won last night, but it will be difficult to beat them on October 15th if Alex Smith plays the way he did vs. Patriots.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Fortunately the Steelers already have a Blueprint for beating the Chef's in KC - 6 FG's! (but we'll need 15 this time around if Smith has a repeat performance of last night). :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    That game will be brutal. At Arrowhead. Bell needs to show up and #10 needs to take some heat off of AB. Steelers can win, but it won't be easy. If the Steelers are undefeated (it's possible) when that game rolls around... they are toast.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    "They" meaning.........?????

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Can't score crap on the road

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers will lose badly to the Chiefs if Steelers are undefeated at that point. If they have one or two losses at that point... I like their chances better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Don't tell the Cleveland Indians. Would you feel any better if, say KC is undefeated at that point as well? Frankly, I don't think either team will be undefeated going into that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    You're probably right. It would be nice if the offense could produce TDs on the road instead of field goals. I haven't seen anything yet to make me believe the Steelers have improved on offense. I think we're gonna see a lot of the same old stuff.... 3 and outs, punts, folding in the red zone and occasional field goals.

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup. Road offense and red zone offense cripple this team

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    That game was so much more about the NE defense not respecting Alex Smith... it wasn't anything offensively that KC did, other than take advantage of NE's lack of respect.

14. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know... KC was doing some unique things last night.

--That Wildcat/Option offense at times...

--Also they did a bunch of non-vertical routes at times, with guys just crossing the field horizontally.

--They were obviously successful running against the Pats where we couldn't run for Jack in the playoffs against NE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So absolute hubris?

If so, then that is typical Boston showmanship; their fans doubly so.

16. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    That's assuming Alex Smith can and will continue to play at a level waaay above his norm. He might, but I am doubtful. We shall see (I will see in person, as I have tickets to that game :cool:)

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Smith is not a bad QB. His knock has always been his lack of a deep ball and he plays it too safe. That said, he's got some burners now so I imagine we'll see more of it.

As far as our boys go, one game at a time. KC and NE matter none until it's that week.

KC routinely plays Pitt tough especially getting them in their house.

I highly doubt what we saw in the Pats last night is gonna turn into a season long meltdown. Would love to see it but I doubt it goes that route.

18. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    That's what it looked like to me. KC didn't write some spectacular blue print for beating the Pats. They executed... and the Pats played vanilla, uninspired defense

19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Exactly lol there's no specific recipe in beating them, you just have to execute and we usually fail to, then they pounce on it.

20. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Pats did their best to take Kelcey out of the game and they pretty much did. I think one thing that KC did that I liked is they dictated to NE how they were going to have to defend them with the plays they were calling.

They moved Kelcey around with that Option look and at least got him the ball.

It seems like the Steelers often let NE's defense dicatate Steelers play calling. They just sit there and let AB get double covered and try to win the game by throwing to their 4th receiver. You need to put them on their heels and keep them guessing.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I see.

I thought that it was their pass rush that was a big reason. Then again, much of Belichicks maneuvering must have signaled something was amiss.

Either way, I think we can both agree that such a sight was nice to see. :smiley1:

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    KC stopping NE on 4th and 1 early on gave them some confidence. Steelers could use some of that just to get over the mental "little brother" hurdle.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That same Chiefs defense the Steelers scored 40 pts on SNF last season :shrug:.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Score more points.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need Ben to play like Alex did last night. He was LIGHTS OUT.