1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blastoff Mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No 50 different mocks from me, just two versions, both heavily constructed around who the team met with.

Some thoughts on the draft before getting to the mocks...

Going by their list of prospects they have met with I believe LVE or Reid are their targets rd 1. They met with Reid twice, combine and private visit and LVE 4 times, combine/dinner/Pro Day/private. The list of prospects they have invited only includes 22 visits, they can have as many as 30. So there are 8 visits that were kept tightly under wraps. They dont have to meet with all 30 but I doubt thats the case, otherwise they have left themselves pretty thin if the board doesnt break right in rd 1. A lot of the names on their list of private meetings just arent 1st rd talent. At least not in the majorities opinion.

Malik Jefferson will be on the team by the end of the draft. Met with him 3 times. If they take Reid 1, I peg him for a 3rd rd selection. There is questions with his football smarts, something only the Steelers will be able to determine, the rest of us get to flip a coin. If he has the smarts, hes my pick for 3rd round, otherwise maybe a 5th. That of course is assuming they dont get LVE rd 1.

Justin Watson will be a 5th rd selection. Great SPARQ score, really good hands, great work ethics, first in last out just an all around football player that just happens to have eye popping SPARQ score. I think they definitely draft a WR at some point.

I so much wanted Fred Warner to be on the team but he just hasn’t been connected to them in any reports other than the Senior Bowl. Perhaps he is one of their mystery guests. But Im thinking its probably because they set their sights on Terrell Edmunds who is a SPARQ monster. He’s a freakish LB/SS with athleticism and speed. Tape is a little uneven but mounds of potential. Would make an immediate impact on ST while refining his game playing behind Burnett and Davis. I would very much be onboard with this draft pick. Say hello to the Gronk solution.

Onto the mocks!

What I think will happen:

1) Justin Reid, S, Stanford
    Met with him twice, combine and private. Checks all the boxes. Versatile, can help in man coverage and has ball hawking skills. Excels up in the box.

2) Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn
    Combine visit. Bells replacement. Great burst and good check down and screen option.

3) Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
    As stated above, met with him 3 times. Very talented but rumor is, not football smart. Is that why they met with him so much, to determine if he has the smarts or simply because they love what he has to offer? We’ll find out.

4) No Pick

5) Justin Watson, WR, Penn
    Private visit. Good value in the 5th. TD maker, 10 in 14 games. Good rezone target. Crazy SPARQ score. Bryant replacement.

5) Jerome Baker, OLB, Ohio State
    Pro Day visit. Still love those Ohio State players.

6) No Pick

7) Trey Johnson, CB, Vilanova
    Pro Day visit. 4.33 dash and 4.20 short shuttle. Worth taking a flyer on.

7) Bilal Nichols, DT, Delaware
    Private visit. Need depth.

What I want to happen:

1) Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise St.
    Crown Jewel. The name attached to them the most. Combine, Dinner, Pro Day and in for a visit. Alternate pick, Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama. Only combine meet, could have been enough for them or could be one of the 8 mystery visits.

2) Jessie Bates, FS, Wake Forrest
    Combine and Pro Day visits. Single high safety, PWP dream and dont even have to convert a WR to do it. Seriously this kid could be my favorite player in the draft.

3) Terrell Edmunds LB/SS
    Tomlin and Colbert both at his Pro Day. See my notes above. May be gone before this, alternate pick here, Kyzir White, SS/Dime ILB, West Virginia.

4) No Pick

5) Shaquem Griffin, OLB, Central Florida
    No official meet, mystery guest maybe. Super athletic, play maker and just seems like the type player the Steelers would draft.

5) Justin Watson, WR, Penn
    Yup, in both mocks because I think hes that good.

6) No Pick

7) Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech
    Would love for Munch to get his hands on this kid. He’s freakishly strong, James Harrison strong. 400 pound power clear, 460 pound bench press, 600 pound squat. And as his bio creatively states, a block of granite. He’s not on the list of prospects they met with but again, perhaps one of the mystery guests.

7) Bilal Nichols, DT, Delaware.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like what you think....but would love Chubb instead of KJ....
    I want what you want though even more....except Evans at 1

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would be happy with either one of these mocks. I can't see Malik Jefferson lasting until the 3rd. I think it's a stretch he makes it to us in the 2nd.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll add my want/think mocks to this thread:

WANT

1. LB Rashaan Evans Alabama
    2. WR Anthony Miller Memphis
    3. S Armani Watts Texas a&m
    5. QB Riley Ferguson Memphis
    5. RB Justin Jackson Northwestern
    7. OT Rick Leonard Florida St
    7. CB Jalen Dunlap Illinois

THINK

1. LB Leighton Vander Esch
    2. S Marcus Allen Penn St
    3. DT BJ Hill NC State
    5. WR Justin Watson Penn
    5. CB Duke Dawson Florida
    7. RB Reggie Bonnafon Louisville
    7. OT Jordan Mailata South Sydney

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Chubbs but was trying to keep my "think" mock to people they have met with. I didnt want to guess at who the 8 mystery visits were.

Your "think" mock could be spot on. Except, I dont think Vander or Evans will be there are 28, sadly.

6. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Good god your 'want' draft is magnificent. Highly unlikely. Wyatt Teller in the 7th would be a steal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, hes the only one really out of place, most likely 5th rd, 6th the latest. There are questions about his effort though, however probably not enough to push him into the 7th. We dont have a 6th, so I took liberties :biggrin:

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    @Blast Furnace you keep mentioning the 8 mystery guests. I'm almost certain I read an article where Colbert confirmed they only had 22 visits (I thought it was 23 but you get the idea). Did you read something else or are you thinking they just aren't saying?

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Never had time to check out Justin Watson but I see a lot of people like him, @Ender for another. I had another local guy, Quadree Henderson in the 7th, but it was more for special teams.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think its a smoke screen. Little misdirection. I dont believe any team wouldnt utilize all 30 slots, why wouldnt you? Due diligence at the very least.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Could still end up with Bates to go along with Edmunds in my want mock tonight.

Reid was there for the taking in my think mock. Thought that was going to be dead on.

Fingers crossed for Bates. (Reid will definitely be gone)

I think we use one of the 3rds for a WR.

• Like Like x 1