1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blame? Random Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Jan 14, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I wasn't real big on the "rust" having a factor, especially for a playoff game, but they did not come out sharp that's for sure. The starters would have had a week off anyway so playing in the Clev game seems trivial since they weren't sharp after the bye in the reg. season. Not a point worth debating for me.

But I also thought a bigger reason for some of the offenses initial shortcomings was due to Ben's confidence being shaken. He held on to the ball a long time and seemed indecisive. He made a nice throw in the 2nd, (can't remember which) and that seemed to help his mental game. I think Ben put too much pressure on himself because of the first meeting's outcome and it showed early on. First couple series should have been the LB26 show. Runs and dump offs, get Ben into a groove.

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    backing off? I am sorry. I must have watched a different game. we didn't have anyone running open all day

3. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    EVERYBODY IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION.
    WITH THAT SAID THE OVERALL STUPIDITY OF SOME ON THIS SITE IS MIND BOGGLING!!!......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    We are having a different conversation if we run the ball right at them or q.b. sneak on those two forth and a foot.....We employ a pro bowl running back,three pro bowl lineman ,playing at home and Todd Haley out smarts himself as we have been watching all year....The loss I do put on the defense,put these offensive play calls changed the game..

5. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    He had players who knew how to lead in the locker room. They were not brought up in Tomlin’s “house”.

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Like you said, EVERYBODY IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    It's not like it took that long, though. It was 14-0 9min into the game, and 21-0 after only ~18min.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Wasn't Heyward the only defensive starter to sit out against Cleveland?

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It would appear you just made your own point.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t confuse them with facts.

11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The defense was terrible today no other way to say it . No pressure at all on Bortles and when we did have him in 3rd and 5 our corners are 12 yards deep I want to know who makes that alignment call on defense is it Butler or is it Lake. Bortles made a simple short throw on an in cut to the WR look way too simple way too many times.
    Embarrassing that the announcers are going on about Bortles making his third and fourth read on third down plays.

Everyone keep saying we couldn't stop the run I think Fornette was 109 on 29 carries we couldn't stop Bortles.

Game 17 and secondary still shows signs of total confusion at times.

Well it could have been worse it could of come at the hands of the Pats.

Plus now we know what we need to draft Defense Defense Defense Defense oh and a long snapper because we like to waste a draft pick every once in a while.

12. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    They're (the Pats) are not arrogant - because they don't call out teams BEFORE they play them. They don't look ahead beyond next week. Fans don't win or lose the game. The Pats are mentally tougher and more focused than the Steelers despite the Steelers being more talented.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I knew we would make Bortles look good after making Kaiser look all-pro just a couple weeks prior.

14. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Bingo!!!

100%

15. steelburgh

steelburgh Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    This team is very SOFT, which isn't Steeler football. Time to start acquiring players that are physical and SMART.

16. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    THIS! This is what I miss about Steelers football. This is what I loved about Cowhers teams. We controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. I can't say that about this team anymore. Our Defensive line is soft for sure, and you can say we are a good run team, but when it comes right down to it ... LevBell is more of a receiver than a RB. Our power run game is average.

17. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably what I would say as well but we really haven't had a defensive leader in a while. My thoughts are that more than getting rid of Haley we get rid of Butler. Its not just about today but letting am opponent score 45 on your turf is eye opening

What was also eye opening this season was our fools gold of a record because we played 3 teams that of not for injury to their starting QB we might have lost (Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis) 2 of those 3 were games that were very close with their backups looking lall pro against us when they hadn't done it against anyone else. Sure we swept the AFC North but we also have up 24 points to the Browns , got gashed by the Ravens on the ground in the second game, and needed a miracle catch by AB to beat the Bengals. Ok so we beat Stafford on the road but where was the defense against Gronk? How easy did Brady hang that last TD on us? Fools Gold

I know we lost Shazier BUT you mean to tell me that our scheme is so complicated that neither Matekavich or Fort could start after he went down? We brought in a washed up guy we previously cut 2 years ago who btw was also cut by Lebeau in Tennessee and the Colts?
    Do you guys also realize that Hayden basically fell into our laps? That we were going to start the season with Burns as our number 1?
    And why keep shade tree (Mcculers) if we weren't going to play him.

We have to get rid of the Lebeau imitation defense which does not have the discipline of gap assignments, tackling fundamentals and angles. That to me is what the D coordinator should be able to teach. Have to get rid of Butler and his or should I say Lebeaus disciples; for that we could have kept Lebeau.

When the game is on the line you need players to step up and make plays not regress into what's comfortable with that zone coverage we run.

I don't believe we would've beaten the patriots and we've been trying to solve that puzzle on defense for far too long, time for a change in coordinators especially now that you've seemingly lost one of your stars to build around.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    It makes you appreciate Lebeau. Maybe it is something you just can't just replace so easily. Butler might be a decent LB coach, but is he that great of a coordinator?

Furthermore, look at all the ex-Steelers under him with little coaching experience. Peezy, Jerry O, and Lake... are these guys really cutting it?

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes. My point all along was that the defense was a mess regardless. It was the offense starting the game out of sync that hurt so much. Sure, the defense stunk all day, but that unit just isn't good. It's the offense that had to start fast and failed to do so.

It's amazing that they put up 42 points and could have had more if not for a sloppy first half.

20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    We have effectively converted from the Steel Curtain to the Steel Sieve. Defense has so many holes, I’m not sure where to start.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bortles didnt exactly light us up. He had 14 completions for 214 yards and 1 TD. Problem was about half of those completions were 3rd down conversions.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The secondary doesn't have enough players, Mitchell is terrible and needs to be replaced.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Typical clown fan, gloating over the fact that the team lost just because you want the coach to be fired :shrug:.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    LeBeau hasn't been a great DC in a long time, his defenses struggled against New England also.

25. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012

Didn't I tell you to stop picking on clowns. Its hurtful and they are people too.

:sign0020: