1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blake's Dubious Stats

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Nov 23, 2015.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I read on Steelers Depot that Antwon Blake is the most targeted corner in the league and has given up the most yards of any cb in the league. He also leads the league in missed tackles. These stats were via PFF. Is it not at least worth TRYING to give Boykin a little time playing something other than the slot??? I mean now Blake has a cast on his hand! HOW can we be THAT thin at this position?!

2. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As I have said before, like most others, I just don't get it? Slot DB or whatever they want to tab him, he has done well the I last two years, and I find it hard to believe he has fallen off that much since his arrival.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Also couldn't they put Gay on the outside and Cockrell on the other? I mean I know that Gay makes a pretty solid slot corner and his outside skills have been questionable but still he has to at least be as good as Blake.

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow...what in the world? And they're saying that he can't be replacedi said it once and I will say it again...just when you want to bench him...he comes up with a splash play

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I think the splash plays are keeping him out there but do you think that if maybe he started giving up more actual points that they'd make a change?

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Probably not...coach T is so stuck in his way. Its seem that they won't make a change unless they're force to by injury

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    lets just hope we're sandbagging and we spring Boykin on the offenses we face when it really matters :hmm::facepalm:

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I've been hoping that we have some master plan to unleash our secret weapon at the last possible moment. Like there's gonna be this huge game where Boykin and Cam Thomas go off and dominate. LOL!

9. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can accept Boykin but to add in Cam Thomas BFT that is really asking for a lot. You should also ask for Mike Adams to be a dominant LT and Dri Archer to be signed back to the Steelers and then return a punt and kickoff for a TD, all in the same game.... :)

10. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    oh, our plans are even deeper than I imagined
    me likey

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and while you're at it throw in good clock mgmt from Tomlin. LOL!

12. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    wait
    they keep track of time in these events

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well. WE don't. But some do. Yes.

14. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    true so true

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe we should try Vick at corner back. He couldn't possible do any worse and be more helpful than at QB!

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Blake is one of my favorite players because he's a little dynamo out there looking to blow people up. I think he fits in well with our mentality on defense. I'm not saying he's a good CB, it's just that I think we lose some of that edge that we've built up if we were to put Boykin in there.

Partly because he's targeted so much, Blake leads all NFL CB's in tackles.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So he leads in missed tackles AND made tackles??? That's crazy.

18. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup! :D

I guess with as many chances as he gets that he should lead something! Why not both? There are a couple CB's sitting at 56 total tackles, but Blake has the lead at 59 total.

19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Blake is Gay 2.0!!! He's, spunky and a good tackler and seems to be smart, learning the defenses and assignments. They seem to trust the 2nd yr guy and he seems able to fight thru injurys.

Problem is NO WAY an injuryed Blake is as good as Boykin. Slot vs Outside is not a viable excuse. Gay can play both. Though Boykin is a slot CB, he is a very good one and moving outside wouldn't be a move outside his skillset.

Its obvious Boykin is in Tomlins doghouse and without an injury we won't see what we gave a draft pick for. We need to accept Boykin will be gone next year.

Cajun

20. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree that Boykin is the better cover corner, but is he the better complete corner? If we were basing who plays or not based purely on coverage ability I think Gerod Holliman would still be around.

Still, I think there is a spot for Boykin on this roster and he should be seeing more time in the obvious passing situations. I would think of Boykin as our version of a closer in baseball. Blake does most of the grunt work during the game and Boykin comes in to seal the deal in the 4th or in crucial passing situations, like 3rd and 20, etc.

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Sadly we'll never know

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Blake seems to make a big INT at key times in games. That is a plus,

23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Statistics can be dubious at times. Does Blake cover the opposing #1 wr? Or is he staying on one side of the ball for the most part? In our 4 losses, has any of Blake's missed tackles cost us the game?

NE - no offense in the 1st half, turnover by Ben, poor defense effort for most of the game
    Balt - couldn't stop the offense at the end of the game, had no offense at the end of the game, couldn't kick the ball
    KC - Terrible on both sides of the ball
    Cincy - losing Bell hurt. Turnovers by Ben

My point, yes Blake may not have made some plays, but our losses have been team losses on defense.

24. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I think Blake's biggest asset may be that he could come cheaply and offer decent performance, which will allow us to keep our offensive core together.

Won't be able to improve upon his cost/performance ratio unless we find a stud rookie or Golson pans out as expected.

25. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Here's an article I just read adding more fuel to Blake's fire. According to Gil Brandt, who is about as anti-Steeler as they come, Blake is 4th on the list of most-burned CB in the league at 65% of the time. Darrell Revis is on the opposite end of the spectrum at a 40% burn rate. The article also goes into a little bit of our CB salary implications for next year. Basically saying that it may not be a bad idea to bring Blake back (I agree), much to the chagrin of the fans.