1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Sails

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Next week has Flint and Teach squaring off, so not sure how close to history they are going to keep this. I can't see him being killed off already so I think Flint will probably best him and then convince him to join the fight.

2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Man, felt really bad for Teach, all he really wanted was Vanes friendship.

Don't know if we have seen the last of him, maybe he shows up at Nassau to help Flint and Vane retake it.

Or, as you pointed out, if they stick to history, he'll die shortly. Seems to be going in that direction. Just surprises me how short his part in the series would be if that happens.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, if he's about to die, I'm disappointed. For such a larger than life legend of a pirate, they didn't really do much with him.

But maybe it's not the last we see of him.

4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Last season, we saw how Silver lost his leg. Now we see the beginning of his nickname. :) The birth of "Long" John Silver.

And fare thee well, Mr. Dufresne. Pompous, duplicitous, arrogant little POS you are. Good riddance. :D

I was wrong about Max. Silver's wife is clearly going to be the daughter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh how I hated Dufrense! His end was a little anti climatic but still glad hes gone. For such a little pussy, he acted like such a bad guy. Good riddance.

Good call on Silvers wife, I bet you are right. I like the evolution of Silver, his character has changed radically.

I can't recall his name, but Rackhams former quartermaster is funny, I like that character. When he was explaining to Charles exactly what argument should I put forth, handing Jack over or Nassau burning, how is that a dilemma for them :lollmao:

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Read a book called "Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates" by David Cordingly. It was pretty good if anyone's interested in the history.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ray D is a scholar on Piracy, he probably wrote the book :lolol:

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No on both counts. ;)

Just a hobby.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Stupid, worse than when they killed off Mr Gates. I understand they kept to history there, but why now?

Unless this series is ending next season, killing off one of its most captivating characters was a bad idea. Even if next season is the last, should of held off on his death to closer to the end.

One good part was the ending, pissed off the wrong pirate, Black Beard.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    That's the thing: they DIDN'T stick to the history, except for the whole hanging thing (and his complete lack of repentance or remorse). He wasn't captured that way. He spent a year in prison before they executed him. He was executed in Port Royal, NOT Nassau. He hanged alongside a few other notorious pirates - not alone. And he died 2-3 years AFTER Blackbeard... who's still alive and kicking on the show.

In hindsight, I should have seen this coming. They really softened his character - to make him more likable and make his death hit the viewer harder. The historical Vane was, to put it mildly, not a very nice man. Few pirates even liked him. They respected him, sure. Feared him most likely. But liked? Not so much.

That, and the actor now is on another show (The 100) as a major character. Funny enough, Alicia Debnam Carey - the gorgeous daughter on Fear the Walking Dead - WAS a major character on that show, and they just killed her off because of her role in FTWD.

I'm sure they have story reasons for it too. And this is, after all, a work of fiction. They just interspersed historical pirates into it. So they can play fast and loose with the known history.

At least it looks like Blackbeard will now come front and center... and probably stick around a while longer. :)

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hot damn! What an episode!

We're totally off the rails historically speaking now, but who cares? History is over, the beginnings of Treasure Island are here.

By the by, Hornigold didn't go out in such a satisfactory way. He died when his ship wrecked in a storm.

I really wish this show had 10-12 episode seasons rather than 8. It's going to be a loooong wait for the next one.

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Today is the 295th anniversary of the execution of Charles Vane.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Great episode! I still thought Hornigolds death was anticlimactic, would have preferred Flint driving his sword through him but as long as hes gone, I'm good. That leaves Eleanor on my must die list. Funny because I used to like her but hate how she betrayed everyone but thats who she is, she'll betray the governor if it suits her needs. I'd like to see Black Beard do it instead of Rackhman though.

When this series first began, I thought the treasure was going to be burried on Nassau. So, only Flint, Silver and Rackhman know of its location?

Yeah, I hate how long the break is for this show. Major production job though, not surprised how long it takes to shoot.

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    We don't even know if this is the titular "treasure." IIRC, the treasure of Treasure Island's location was only known to Flint himself, and he left a map. Small, remote island. Wherever they currently are, it's not exactly small.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Wow :eek:

Can't wait for this!

Last season though :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    So sad this is ending. But it looks like they're going out swinging!!

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I know how you feel. I was a huuuuuuuuge fan of Hannibal and it wound up getting cancelled early too.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not exactly like it's being cancelled early. Just that the story has a natural end, and we're coming up to it. I'm sad it's ending, but I'd rather they end it well, than drag it out and let it become stale.

Very good first episode. I didn't expect it to start off so bleak, but now the stakes are very high and real.

I wouldn't want to be Mr. Featherstone right now. ;)

On a side note, the actress who played Mrs. Barlow in the first 2 seasons has just shown up on the show, "Outsiders." She's playing a leader of an offshoot clan named Morogen. I almost didn't recognize her at first.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree, good season opener. Looks like things are coming to a head between Billy and Flint. Billys never liked or trusted Flint, he's just always been too afraid to challenge him, looks like he is getting past that. Don't blame Billy for not liking him, he did kill Mr Gates after all. A move I still think was a mistake by the writers, Gates was a great character but I understand why they did it.

Mr Degroot or whatever his name is, thats one loyal son of a gun, cut off his ear, that sucks!

Which one was Featherstone again? Wasn't that Rackhams man? Didn't see that betrayal coming.

I dont watch the Outsiders, maybe I'll check it out :hehehe:

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah. Doughy guy. Kind of stupid and timid. Hangs out with Idelle in Max's tavern mostly.

Woodes Rogers Redcoat guy said nobody was talking even now. Makes me think Featherstone was just utterly incompetent rather than a turncoat. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Either way, he needs to run and keep running. lol

Speaking of Idelle, I can't believe I never mentioned how alluring she can be. ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

Yes. definitely! And I think you just solved it. Bet you Max had Idelle get in his head.

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Just a little tidbit for you all to look for.

The actor who plays Captain Berringer is the older brother of Toby Stephens - aka, Captain Flint. :)

Definitely a family resemblance there.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ha, very cool!

Wow, thought Billy was a goner.

I like Silvers new friend, good with the steel.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Boo boo boo.

Yes. I know they're not going to stick strictly to history. But I'm partial to Blackbeard. So seeing his end this way irritates me.

But on the other hand, they did use elements of the real history and remixed it. Rogers set the same trap that Lt. Maynard did by keeping a large force under deck and making his ship appear crippled. Blackbeard took many wounds from multiple attackers before being subdued. And he was notoriously hard to kill. I'm just not sure a keel hauling was necessary. It felt like they just wanted to show one.

Every victory comes also with a huge loss. It's all quickly unraveling.

Considering that in Treasure Island, Billy is scared to death (literally) by Silver's mere presence, I'm guessing that Silver won't be quite forgiving of Billy's mutiny... despite his coming to their aid in Nassau. Or maybe we still haven't seen the origin of his fear.

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Israel Hands. A real historical pirate - although not nearly as he's being portrayed here. I'm sure I talked about him already in this thread. He was a member of Blackbeard's crew. The ONLY member to survive after Blackbeard's last battle. The ones who didn't die in the fight were captured and hanged. The reason he survived? He wasn't there. Blackbeard shot him in the leg during a bit of an odd drinking game. So he was on shore recovering when Maynard's crew came calling.

Hands later returned to England and spun tales of his days with Blackbeard. He became something of a minor celebrity. So when Treasure Island was written, of course he became part of the story. ;)