1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Sails

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It's always January. Usually the 3rd weekend. ;)

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  3. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Program alert for pirate fans.

In a few minutes (10pm est), on H2, "True Caribbean Pirates" comes on. It first aired years ago and is pretty entertaining and informative about the history of the golden age of piracy (and the girl playing Anne Bonny in the reenactments is gorgeous... or maybe it's the accent ;)).

If you miss it, they'll have a replay at 2 am est, so set your DVR.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Did I miss it or was Vane not mentioned? He was a pretty significant pirate.

I also didnt know Black Bart Roberts was the most successful and feared pirate. Would you agree with that, Ray?

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Vane was on the show from what I remember. (Because his story intertwines with Rackham, Bonny, Blackbeard, Bonnett, etc.) I haven't rewatched it yet.

Going in terms of modern day money, and number of ships taken, Black Bart was without a doubt the most successful pirate of that era, if not all time. Some argue Bellamy was more successful. Some argue Henry Morgan was - although even calling him a "pirate" is in dispute since he always operated under a letter of mark, which more accurately makes him a privateer.

I do NOT count Sir Francis Drake. Successful without a doubt. But he sailed under the crown.

And of course, this is all for western pirates. The Chinese pirate Cheng Sao puts them all to shame. She had over a thousand ships in her armada. And she actually lived happily ever after. ;) (Retired and lived a long life with her wealth)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Speaking of happily ever after, do you think Bonny did the same?

And I always thought of Blackbeard being the most feared pirate. But I guess the Dread Pirate Roberts was not to be trifled with :lollmao:

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Bonny's father was a wealthy and powerful man. Considering she just disappears from the records, it's a fair bet he pulled strings. Got her off the hook.

There's stories and rumors about her life after, but nothing can be verified.

I still love her quote: "I'm sorry, Jack. But if you'd fought like a man, you needn't hang like a dog."

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok, I finally got to watch this again for the first time in almost 10 years, and you're right. They didn't mention Vane.

Back when this first aired, they had a marathon of pirate shows. There was another 2 hour documentary on pirates, and a half movie / half documentary on Blackbeard (James Purefoy played Blackbeard). This was all around the time the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out. Over time, I conflated all 3 programs.

Shame. Because the stuff on Vane was very good. And the other program had more lore on Blackbeard, Bonny, Mary Read, etc. Among the anecdotes:

Mary Read - who was already known to Bonny and Rackham as a woman, but posing to the rest of the crew as a man still - was in love with one of the crew. But he was a scrawny, slightly built guy. Another pirate got riled up with him, and demanded a duel. By their code, all duels had to be settled on shore. Mary knew this kid didn't stand a chance, so she picked a fight with the other guy and forced him to have to duel her instead. They fought on shore, and neither could gain an edge... until Mary ripped open her shirt to expose her breasts. The man stood there starring in disbelief, bug-eyed... and then she ran him through.

Blackbeard used to test his men's mettle by forcing them to sit with him in a closed room with burning brimstone (sulfur). The last man to leave wins. He never lost.

Blackbeard also liked to play a game. While they were drinking at night, he would suddenly knock out the candle or lamp. As soon as it was dark, he'd draw 2 pistols and fire at random. His men were forced to duck for cover fast. One time, he actually hit one of them. The man's name was Israel Hands. Because he was injured by the shot, he was forced in bed on the morning Lt. Maynard came calling at Ocracoke. He's the only one of Blackbeard's men to live to tell the tale. The rest either died that day, or were hanged for piracy.

Reports at the time said that an examination of Blackbeard's body showed he received at least 5 gun shots, and no less than 20 cuts or stabs before he died. And he went down swinging. His last words, after receiving a grievous wound to his neck, were, "Good one, lads. You got me." He went out like a boss.

Charles Vane was the last pirate Captain to see Blackbeard alive. He was at Blackbeard's party at Ocracoke the week before (yes. A week long party). Vane wanted Blackbeard to return to Nassau with him. When Blackbeard refused, Vane left. Missing Maynard's attack by a day or 2.

Blackbeard once served as Quartermaster to Charles Vane.

"Calico" Jack Rackham attained his Captaincy by taking it away from Charles Vane. Rackham was Vane's First Mate. When Vane refused to attack a Man O' War (they were in a sloop. Attacking was suicide), Rackham riled up the crew who hadn't taken a prize in months and accused Vane of COWARDICE!!! The crew agreed, voted Vane out as Captain, and marooned him. (Vane got another ship and crew, and went back to being a feared pirate Captain)

Now, I know that last one kind of mars Vane's reputation. There's a great story to add to his legend... but it's likely going to be featured this season, so I don't want to spoil it. ;)

Charles Vane, Jack Rakham and Stede Bonnett all met the noose on the same day, or within the same month. Their bodies were displayed in gibbets at the mouth of the harbor at Port Royal...

... it's their bodies Jack Sparrow salutes as he first arrives at Port Royal in the beginning of the first Pirates of the Caribbean. ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Today is the anniversary of Blackbeard's death.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Very good first episode. Blackbeard's introduction was awesome. I'm glad they decided to emphasize his intelligence first.

Woodes Rogers. Ben Hornigold now a pirate hunter. Blackbeard's back. Things are about to kick off big time. :D

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, loved it.

I don't know Woodes Rogers story though?

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Pretty shrewd and ruthless guy. Specialized in rooting out, clearing out, and otherwise taming pirates. He was credited for all but completely eliminating piracy in Madagascar. Along with his accomplishments at sea (including privateering and circumnavigating the globe), he successfully campaigned to become the Bahamas first Governor.

His first priority upon becoming Governor was ridding the islands of piracy. He offered clemency to all who'd take it. But it was more an "offer you can't refuse." Take the pardon, have all of your acquired wealth, ships, etc, seized in the name of the Crown and promise never to engage in piracy again... or die. He had mixed results. But eventually, he succeeded in "civilizing" Nassau. Not long after that, England went to war with Spain again, and he kept Spain from taking English territories in the Caribbean.

He had his faults and failures, of course (he was notoriously bad with money, for one). But he was not a man to take lightly. Nor was he one to ever back down. His arrival in Nassau sets off a pretty big chain of events in history. His seemingly constant feud with Charles Vane will make for great show fodder. And for the fictional story of Captain Flint and John Silver, one can only guess.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    At first I thought Ellenor gave up Flints name but then realized it was probably Vanes, if for no other reason for self interest, probably figures Vane will kill her. Of course, could be revenge too, he did kill her father after all.

Thanks for the history lesson :thumbs up:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Looks like Teach will be positioning himself to take over the island. Sees the other pirates as weak.

Should be interesting when Flint gets back there.

Cant stand Hornigold and his pussy side kick, Dufrense, cant wait for them to meet the sword or gallows.

Also, every episode I am stunned by Elenors (Hannah New) beauty, unbelievable, never saw her before this show.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    You'll be disappointed unless the show takes artistic license. Hornigold never met either. ;) (his fate is a little more... ironic? Not sure that's the word.)

Agreed on Hannah. She's quite the looker.

I'm not certain what Blackbeard's true purpose is yet. There's no real history to judge this story line. No feud with Vane, never exiled from Nassau. But they are touching on one is his traits. Toughness and more importantly, the image and reputation of strength and ruthlessness were very important to him. Although, I do find it odd that he laments captains taking prizes without a fight when that was his specialty. He groomed an image for himself for that very effect. Why risk casualties if you can get them to immediately surrender out of fear and intimidation? He supposedly hated having to kill people, and by most accounts, truly cared for his men's well being.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im counting on it :hehehe:

A show like Boardwalk Empire I'd expect to stay pretty true to history and they totally rewrote Nuckys ending. A show about Pirates, I expect nothing less than artistic license.

Although now you have me curious to his, more ironic fate :hmm:

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Looks like Flint and his crew went from frying pan into the fire :eek:

Im enjoying this season so far but hope they don't keep Flint from Nassau for too long and Im afraid they might, starting to look that way.

I also sense Vane betraying Teach over Eleanor again. Vane thinks she is dead, so I wonder what effect it will have on him when he finds out she is alive, I think in spite of everything that has happened, he still harbors feelings for her.

By the way, I think we are the only two here, who enjoy this show :lolol:

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    We have the thread all to ourselves. :D

Shame. Because it really is a great show.

I'm not sure where they're going with this Blackbeard angle. But it's a fictional show, so they can do whatever they like. I just hope they make the fist pump moment Vane's as it should be and not have it be Blackbeard's doing. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Blackbeard, and I like Ray Stevenson playing him. But this is Vane's epic moment. Don't take it away from him.

Silver spilling the beans to Flint was a great scene. And Flint's reaction was awesome. He didn't have to say anything. But you could see him say without saying "Well, you got me. I guess you're not the joke I took you for." In Treasure Island, Silver is described as the only man Captain Flint ever feared. We're beginning to see why.

I'm beginning to wonder...

In Treasure Island, Silver has a wife "of African descent." She's shrewd and he trusts her to manage his money. I can't recall if her name is ever mentioned. Could it be Max? ;) The only sticking point is that while Max is indeed at least part black, her ethnicity would more accurately be called Caribbean or West Indies. Or maybe that distinction is only modern.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I thought that was great with Silver! And Billy was spot on, Flint didn't respect him but he's going to now.

Is Billy Bones a real pirate of made up for the show? I like his character.

Yeah, I didn't even realize Max was black, thought she was just an exotic caribbean woman. I liked Annes response, "what the **** did he just say" lol, she's a tough girl, think she would have liked to slit his throat right there :lolol:

Not sure where they are going with Black Beard either or if he will even be on the show past this season. Guy playing him is great though.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Billy is a fictional pirate who also appears in Treasure Island (albeit briefly. He sets off a chain of events that starts the whole story). Remember: this whole thing is a prequel to Treasure Island. ;)

I love Ray Stevenson as an actor. He hasn't had a lot of high profile roles, but he's great in everything he does. His most notable role was as Titus Pullo in HBO's "Rome." The best character on the show, or at least tied with Marc Antony (played by James Purefoy - who funny enough, ALSO played Blackbeard in a History Channel movie).

If you've never watched Rome, I highly, highly recommend it. It's easily the second best thing HBO ever did (Band of Brothers being #1). Better than the sopranos. As much as I love Deadwood, it's better than it. It's even better than Game of Thrones - at least pound for pound. Rome was originally going to be a mini-series, but HBO expanded it to 2 seasons. Had it originally been planned as a longer running series, I don't know if it would have been as good.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This show is excellently written, love this program. I didn't envision the fight for Nassau going down like this, figured Flint and Vane would defend it from an invasion, not be the invading party, the way they turned that whole thing around was awesome.

Now Flint has to get past Teach. Does Teach get killed? Gets defeated but agrees to join them? Still don't know whats going on with him but last episode I started getting a feeling he is out for revenge against Vane and is setting him up.

I don't expect them to come close to keeping his characters storyline in sync to that of histories version. Just like they messed with Lows when Vane cut his head off. I love his character though, actor plays it very well, would like to see him continue.

Forgot to respond to this, I'll have to check this out, I meant to when it first aired but just never got around to it. I love Roman history.

Agree about Band of Brothers, awesome.

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure where the whole Vane/Teach/Flint thing is going, but I doubt they kill off Blackbeard in a way too differently than history. His death is a rather well known and legendary one.

I actually got nervous when he said they were going to Ocracoke. While true it's where Blackbeard liked to operate from for quite a while, it's also where he was ambushed and killed... and Vane left him there only 1-2 days before the attack. My mind immediately went to: they go there. Do some pirate things. Vane can't let Nassau go. Tells Blackbeard he's going back and asks him to come with him. Teach refuses. Lt. Maynard's force arrives the next day.

It could still go down like that. But I'd rather keep Blackbeard for a season or 2. And Blackbeard WAS involved in the pirate resistance to Woodes Rogers.

Vane's initial escape from Nassau was underwhelming. Unless they're keeping a particular event for later (making it even more dramatic).

We finally heard Port Royal name dropped. Here's hoping Mary Read shows up soon.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016