1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Sails

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Makes sense to me, can't put my finger on it, but didn't have the same grip the first episode had. Only 2 shows in, takes a little while sometimes for shows to get rolling.

2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone watching? Love this show, first episode of season 2 was very good and introduced a new psychotic pirate, Ned Low, they won't have to hollywoodize the character, he was a brutal maniac in real life.

Liked how we are learning about Flints background, seeing him before he became a pirate, pretty cool.

My only complaint, and it took place in the 1st season, was getting rid of Gates, he made a great character. And I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Billy yet, who was another good character.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Love the show. Been an addict since the pilot.

I spotted Lowe's colors before he even introduced himself. Turned to my wife and said, "this ain't good. That guy is a butcher." LOL

I really like that they interspersed real life pirates with the fictional ones. I'm not sure I'm sold on how they portray Anne Bonney,even though the actress does a good job. But maybe she was just that rough. But it seems almost like they're trying to give her the Deadwood Calamity Jane treatment.

Gates was my favorite character, so it annoyed me what happened. Billy is alive in Treasure Island (20 years or so later), so I'm sure we'll see him again.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I knew you'd know who Ned was :lolol:

And since in real life, no one really knows how his end came to pass (as far as I'm aware) they can pretty much come up with what they want and not be bogus, like with what happened to Nucky on Empire :facepalm:

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh sure they know. Just depends which nation you ask. ;)

He either got away and retired to live like a king in Brazil, went down in a storm, or was caught and hanged by the French. :lolol: (It's the last one I find dubious.)

It's funny because I had just recently (maybe 2 months ago) read an article on various "Golden Age" pirates. Ned Lowe isn't a household name for most. Maybe because his image can't be romanticized. But what struck me was how his colors so closely resembled Blackbeard's. Except he used red on black (and was one of the very few I know of who did). And yet, he was almost a photo negative of Blackbeard. Blackbeard would approach you full of menace, but was quite gentle once you surrendered. Lowe approached you under disguise, only raising his colors once it was far too late to defend yourself, and would slaughter your whole crew just for kicks, then burn your ship down.

I've wondered if he used red on black rather than the standard white on black because of symbolism. "Black" traditionally meant quarter would be given. Red meant no quarter.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, hopefully down with a storm or hung :noose:

If some of the stuff I've read about him is accurate, he actually flew under Blackbeards flag first before changing to the red skeleton one.

I've also read he had a ship called the Ranger but isn't that Vanes ship? Or is the show just taking liberties with that?

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Not sure about his ship(s) names. The Ranger was Charles Vane's ship. And I don't know if duplicate names were common, or allowed. But one would think it could be possible, assuming the 2 ships frequented different waters. IIRC, Lowe primarily prowled the Carolinas. But this is all a long way of my saying :shrug:

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats true, didnt have social media then :lolol:
    duplicates was probably common.

Going to be interesting to see what happens when Flint try's to port, has a Man of War now :eek:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow! Great episode, I think this season has been better than last so far.
    I did not see such a quick exit for Low, loved how Vane played him though. I guess with the main battle being between Flint and Vane, it would be too much to contribute to another antagonist like Low. I hated him already so loved seeing him killed.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I too thought he'd be a bigger part of the season's arc. We're still early in the season. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Rackham was really entertaining this week. Lots of really good subtle looks.

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm usually good at sussing things out.

But I did NOT see that coming... :shocked:

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    And of course, Twitter exploded with the usual expected responses. <yawn>

A- I do not think it necessarily means what one might think it means. Could be a singular case.

B- So what? Hate to break it to some folks, but this has plenty of historical precedent (speaking both of pirates and people in general).

C- It explains A LOT!!! Even going back to last year when the whole mystery of Mrs. Barlow first started. Those people Flint killed in a flashback for seemingly no reason that had some of his men wondering WTF he was doing and who was she to him. (they took a ship with no cargo. Flint killed a couple in their quarters. Rich man of high standing. His only goal for taking the ship. Then went back to Barlow and simply said, "It's done.") Jeez, now I think I may need to watch season 1 over knowing what I now know.

But aside from that reveal...

It was fun watching Rackham rejecting various ideas for his flag. His being, after all, the most iconic one. The skull and crossed swords Jolly Roger.

Vane vs. flint. Round 1. Both men are stubborn unto death. Both are just a little... off as well. Not sure how this gets resolved. I doubt either dies, but it sure seems that's the only way a conflict of this scale can end.

Silver: "Being liked is almost as good as being feared." Not keeping that mantra your whole life now, are you? ;)

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, blind sided me too :eek:

I'm still fuzzy on some things. So they were forced to leave London not because of his affair with Barlow but because of his affair with Thomas? Thats what they knew?

And the people Flint killed on the ship, was that a vengeance killing for being run out or to keep them quiet?

Rackham has been fun the last couple episodes :lolol:

Although, the **** just hit the fan with him and Anne.

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    They were run out of the country really to keep their plan for Nassau quiet and from coming to fruition. His 2 way affair with Thomas and the wife were the pretext. Gives the Lord his convenient excuse to have his own son - albeit one he would gladly disown - arrested and locked away forever (and I presume Thomas died shortly thereafter from one cause or another). Runs his wife out of town and the embarrassment she has caused his family name. And gets rid of James without needing a trial.

I can't quite remember exactly who those people were that Flint murdered on the ship. Or even if it was ever said who they were. But my best guess is he murdered them out of revenge for Thomas. And it appears he's true on one thing: He wants that gold for NASSAU. Not himself. He is full bore trying to establish Nassau the way Thomas saw it could be. Only this time, to hell with the Crown... and woe unto any man - friend or foe - who stands in his way.

Pure speculation here:

History tells us that Charles Vane, Ben Hornigold, and Blackbeard (among others) tried to turn Nassau into an independent Republic. It failed (mostly because, well, pirates. ;)). But for a few years, it almost worked. That is, until the lack of cohesiveness among pirates going against a much more organized, well funded, and determined English Governor and Navy came to bear on them. (And a few pirates turned traitor to the cause by accepting pardons and serving the Crown as pirate hunters. Not naming names, but one specifically rhymes with Ken Bornifold. :lolol:)

And by the time of Treasure Island, Flint is long dead. Whatever treasure he had - be it this Urca gold, or some other - long since hidden for some reason.

I'm wondering if the end game is that Flint manages to convince Vane of his cause. And others, or Vane convinces them. Not sure it was ever said how or when Flint died, but once he's gone, Vane and company carry on his goals. But, not being as smart or determined, well, history doesn't lie. Or maybe it was all domed from the start.

Until the day a much older Billy sees John Silver walk into a tavern in London... :)

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, thanks, yes, makes sense it was just an excuse to run them off. And I agree, Flints goal is to carry out Thomas plan, either out of honor to him or basic survival, where else is he going to live, especially after what he's done. A great line in the episode before last, when Silver said, "God, it must be awful being you", here was a good man who has been forced to do evil things.

And yes, I believe Flint and Vane join forces to build Nassau but I'm not sure how much the show is interested in authenticity after what they did to Low.

Also, you speculated on Flints death as it pertained to real life, I thought his character was invented for the show?

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No. I meant from Treasure Island. They are after Flint's treasure. It's been a long time since I've read the story (I was a kid) or saw any movie version (ditto). But his Captain Flint is the same one we're watching now. Black Sails is a Treasure Island prequel... 20 some odd years earlier. ;) But in Treasure Island, Flint has been dead some time already. I just can't remember if they ever said how or why.

John Silver is fictional too. so is Billy Bones (both from Treasure Island), the Guthries, etc. Vane, Rackham, Bonney, Hornigold and Lowe are the only actual historical figures so far.

edit: did some research. Treasure Island does say how and when Flint dies. I'll not spoil it.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh wow, I had no idea, thats cool. I was thinking, wow, Ray should write, thats pretty imaginative of him, lol.

Ah yes, no spoilers because naturally I will now have to read Treasure Island or is there a good movie/TV series adaption as well?

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably the best adaptation is the original 1950s film starring Robert Newton. It's the one most of us remember as kids if we saw it. The actor had a very heavy Welsh accent. His manner of speech was so impressive, every actor after him aped him when playing a pirate. His natural delivery basically became "pirate talk."

Last I looked, the book was a free download. Granted it's the original and the language gets a bit dense.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, that guy was just itching to shoot her. That plan went to hell. I wonder if James really thought it could work since he never believed so all those years ago when Thomas proposed it to him.

So I guess plan B will be to retrieve the gold and fortify Nassau for its upcoming battle with London.

Oh, and I have to say that the most unappealing pirates in the series are Captain Hornigold and Dufresne, hope they get theirs soon.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hornigold is keeping with the history. He took a pardon and became a pirate hunter for the Crown. Dufresne is fictional, I believe. Either way, Hornigold's future (our history) is already known. The only question will be how long they play it out.

Charles Vane himself took a pardon...

What he did with it is a whole 'nother matter. ;) (I really hope they use it in the show. It'll be epic)

But this episode overall was a big sucker punch all around. Didn't see most of that coming at all. No idea what lies ahead for Eleanor as she's 100% fictional. Mrs. Barlow was a big WTF moment. The rest should make an exciting season finale (can't believe the season is over next week already).

Nice to see Anne Bonny back to herself.

I better get Black Beard next season. His siege of Charleston will be even more satisfying in light of current events.

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes!!! They're already filming season 3 and they have confirmed...

Blackbeard!!!

He'll be played by Ray Stevenson. Love that guy. If you watched HBO's Rome, he was Titus Pullo. This should be great.

tmp_12576-Blackbeard-Ray-Stevenson-300x450-2062613889.jpg

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, now we know how Long John Silver got his peg leg.

Still don't know how he got the nickname... ;)

Great finale. This season was far too short. I want Season 3 now!

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    And now we have a trailer for season 3. Woodes Rogers!!! This will kick up hostilities to Ron Burgendy levels of escalating quickly...

And my aforementioned Vane taking a pardon (or more accurately, pretending to) and what he does with it should be a plot point. ;) Probably this season if the trailer hints at what I think it does. But definitely in the next 2 seasons if not. It happens not long after Rogers arrives.

Still loving that they got Ray Stevenson for Blackbeard - and that BLACKBEARD is coming! :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't believe how long they are making us wait! Looks awesome though.