1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Sails

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    STARZ began hyping this show months ago. It's a gritty, more or less realistic pirate story - not Hollywood fantasy pirates.

The story is kind of a prequel to Treasure Island - about 20 years before. Captain Flint, John Silver (before he was "Long"), along with some real life pirates like Charles Vane, Calico Jack Rackham, and Anne Bonny.

STARZ doesn't always have the best production value to their shows. Limited budget and all that. But many of their shows are pretty good despite that. This one looks GREAT.

Anyway, they put the first episode on-line for free. If it's something that interests you even slightly, check it out. Just be warned: it IS an "adult" show. Lots of violence, swearing, and some nudity.

https://www.starz.com/videos/embed/371

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Been waiting for it since they first started promoting it. I've watched 2 Starz shows, one was amazing, Spartacus, and the other is really good, Magic City. Looking forward to seeing how this show does.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Cool, I'll have to check this out

4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Me too. Saw a trailer months ago, told my wife I'll need to get STARZ when the show comes out. Next day, I had STARZ. :lolol: She called our provider and asked what the subscription was, figured it was not bad at all (especially since we get like 10 STARZ and 5-6 Encores for a low price). So I've had the channel for a while. Now bring on the show. :)

Watched the pilot. I liked it quite a bit. Pilots are usually awkward episodes - trying to establish characters, main themes, etc. As pilots go, it was pretty good. My only minor nit to pick is their characterization of Anne Bonny. IDK if it's how she's written, or how the actress chose to play her. but by most accounts, Bonny was a feisty and witty woman. This Anne is a psychopath. Then again, that could always be closer to the truth. Who knows?

Charles Vane? Oh yeah. Real slime ball. Just how history portrays him. He'll be fun to watch.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I haven't had Starz in years, but I'm going to have to check this out. I love authentic pirate stories.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Cool, sounds good, I need another show to watch, and in a few weeks, Walking Dead starts again :dancing:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, this show is going to be a winner! Loved the first episode. :thumbs_up:

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He can do all the pirate things he wants to. Just PLEASE leave my Turtles alone!

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Who you talking about???

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Michael Bay is producing this right? He is the one that is absolutely butchering TMNT and is probably gonna wind up in hiding from all the dork rage that he is facing over what he is doing to the Turtles. He already destroyed the childhoods of Transformers fans and now he wants TMNT. He is the bane of all dorkdom. LOL. Trust me he is a highly despised man among dorks. But I could see how action fans would like him though.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    lol, gotcha, I had no idea :lolol:

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah me and him are NOT friends! LOL.

13. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    you see him freakout
    when his teleprompter went down

lol

he should have had some special F/X

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I read a review that said this show suffers in part because of him. Mainly because there isn't a blockbuster budget for filming on the seas, so they have to find reasons to stay on land.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The opening scene yesterday was an attack of another ship, the only suffering was the poor bastards being killed :lolol:

Their port of harbor is Nassau, so I suspect quite a few scenes will take place there. Seems like a silly review to me.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I did see that! It was at the consumer electronics show. It was awesome how the guy on stage was just like "uhhhh.... OK!"

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well usually the budgets for his films are spent on explosives. LOL.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Read the same review. He didn't watch the same episode I did, or he wanted Disney pirates.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I thought that same thing when I read it.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    IGN gave it a really good review. Where did you read a negative one?

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    AICN had an amalgam of them.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh. I think the only negative that IGN gave it was something like it didn't emotionally invest in the characters or something.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    2nd episode left me a little weary, guess Silver has a photographic memory, that seemed a little cheesy. I'm wondering if Anne Bonny will ever have anything more to say then one sentence with the word f--k, seems like she could be a great character, hope they develop it. Still enjoyed it, may just need a little time to get it's legs under it.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I saw on the IGN forums that people were saying it just didn't have that sorta "factor" that grabbed you and made you feel like you can't miss it. The second ep was lower rated by them than the first. The first was a little over 8 and the second was like a 7.5 or so.