1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BJ Finney

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Mar 12, 2021.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Coudnt find original thread...93.7 The fan is reporting that Pending physical Finney will sign with Steelers... i dont know if this is true or not,but welcome home if it is

Per Dulac:
    Steelers are preparing to bring back guard/center B.J. Finney to help with their depth and possibly as a replacement for retired Maurkice Pouncey, per source. Finney played with the Steelers from 2016-19 and started 13 games for them.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He was productive when he was with us. Let's hope he can repeat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I am a little concerned based on how much he seemed to struggle after leaving the Steelers, but I am hopeful that he can at least provide solid depth at guard and center.

If you want to be optimistic about it, perhaps consider this a commitment to the run. Finney was always much better blocking for the run than the pass.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Would make sense if the cost was right. Next step bring Jessie James back and while where at give Leveon Bell a call;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Better guard than he is at center, and guard is the only area on the line that's already set

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I may be missing something, but I only see 3 guards on the depth chart. Not sold he is starter material based on the last 2 years away from here, but bringing him in on a cheap (and voidable contract) really has no downside at this point.

Post script: I was thinking about this on my route today, Finney, James especially. Again not much downside if the contract is voidable at cut time, but there is going to be a lot of these type guys looking for work after the original dust settles on the FA market. Familiarity is great, but you just may find someone better for the same money.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    By all accounts he showed up to Seahawks camp out of shape last year, not good enough.

He is not a long term answer to anything but he can be a really good swing guard / Center if he wants it. If they can’t get a starter ready Center in the draft Finney could fill in for a while and not kill them.

first step to redemption, get in football shape.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Looks like we will be filling holes in our line up with K Mart blue light specials. Not saying this wont work but I hope BJ understands he needs to plow the road here. Welcome back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Could Beachum be next?

These are uninspiring moves but I will point out one thing, these guys have the nasty you look for in lineman and the identity the Steeler want to reestablish.

These guys could help hold the fort down until draft picks get up to speed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Given the cap situation next year I'm ok bringing back guys who know the system on short-term deals. It's not like they have a ton of better options outside the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah a lot of us have been saying that for a while. He is a reliable player that will be available for almost nothing, great guy too by all accounts, could be a good mentor for Chuks, Banner and whoever they draft. I could definitely see him back, with the Klemm connection it makes sense. Is Hawkins re-signed? If he is, maybe Beachum is not needed

• Like Like x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    This franchise is so predictable it's pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Kevin Colbert has historically operated like this during his tenure here. 2021 is going to be no different. For a much better context, see Morgan Burnett then the selection of Terrell Edmunds.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I read somewhere that his lack of football shape had a lot to do with a bonus he got for showing up to camp uninjured. I think something to the tune of 2 million bucks. Since he wasn’t evaluated by the Seahawks due to COVID concerns, he wasn’t actually given his physical until August. Meaning, an injury during offseason training away from the facility could land him on the non-football related injury list and voiding his 2 million dollar bonus.

I don’t hate the deal as a backup swing interior lineman. I doubt he’s ever a starter, but if he has to sub in for injury purposes we at least have someone with experience and who performed fairly well in his stint in Pittsburgh last time.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe this is a contract they can easily terminate if he doesn't show enough in camp? They still have to be looking for the same position in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I read that too, and I get that he wanted to protect himself, but surely you can do the minimum required to stay in reasonable condition to play football? Regular light conditioning work and optimum nutrition should not a big injury risk, nor is it a big ask for any professional sportman. IDK, I don’t know enough about what most players do in the offseason to say for sure, but it just sounds like he let himself go and this was the excuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert bargain signing, cheap depth

21. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I like it. Although we still need to draft O Line it keeps us from being forced to reach in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am assuming that these moves will allow them to go after their RB in the 1st.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    System familiar guys in theory is not a bad idea however I was kind of hoping they were going to go with a different system hahahahaha

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Whomever ends up at left tackle won’t have a high bar to pass in protecting Ben, AV was awful. I knew he dropped off but not this bad.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if you draft a good run blocking tackle then you need to run the ball. if you throw the ball 70% of the time you are defeating the purpose. we won more games last year when we ran a more balanced offense. we got away from that. why? was it coordinator? was it QB? was it OL? was it a combination? what is the goal now and do we have the players to do it? we don't even know what it is yet. we better be looking for tackles, centers and guards that can do a 50-50 scheme and stick to it and not have to adjust because our QB can only do one thing, our RB's can do another and OL can't do either then add having to use two TEs to achieve one goal on any given play. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1