1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bit concerened about our o-line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Nov 11, 2019.

1. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    The season is more than half over .This o-line has looked like imposters .Munch was at the top of his craft ,and I expected a little drop off,but this has been bad.I know Mason holds the ball too long at times ,but he is not being afforded the type of pocket we are used to seeing with ben back there.
    Is it scheme?. Has age caught up to these guys? They have been sub par for the standards they have set.
    They are opening NO holes for the running backs ,and most of the time there is no pocket to step into .We would be hard pressed to close out a game on the ground if we had to.This should be something your veteran offensive line should be able to do. Just my humble opinion.
    With all the changes on this offense ,I thought this area should be of no concern...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Partially scheme and partially opposing defenses knowing that there is a disconnect between the Oline and QB. It's been noted that guys are moving onto the secondary block in their zone blocking and abandoning the primary too soon. This is allowing defenders to sneak into the gaps. If also hurts that the young guys aren't trusting the blocking and looking to bounce when that isn't their skill. Lack of a FB or TE playing hack to seal lanes is hurting too. Best running game Conner had was with Nix back.

They want to correct the run game look at what Baltimore is doing. Line up and maul the guy in front of you. Forget secondary blocking and movING to the next level. Destroy your man and let the rb make a move at the lb level.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe some of the accountability is lacking without Munch. Pouncey is supposed to be the leader and he’s playing poorly. Hard to explain their lack of performance . I don’t think it’s age yet. IMO Munch was a big loss. I think the attention to detail has suffered, that’s a big deal.

4. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    steelers have only given up 11 sacks so far this year..cool your jets...

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think the Oline is a huge concern from a pass blocking perspective. They were never a group that blew Dlines off the ball with consistency in the run game. They need improvement in short yardage situations. It's frustrating to watch that they can't get a yard on 3rd and one or they can't punch it in on the goal line for a TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017
    Not just about sacks......it's about the amount of pressure...
    And if they had to get one yard you can't honestly say you are confident they get the job done...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    pass blocking has been adequate, don't care what anyone says. run blocking has been suspect

8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey IZONUFOTO

Quoting You: "Steelers have only given up 11 sacks so far this year"

Hey, this is what I was thinking as well. What is wrong with the O-Line? It is not pass protection IMO. It is the running game issue. And we all know that it has been well-documented that this line was built for the pass. However, as I have been stating, we have to find a running game like as of yesterday. Maybe, it gets on track with Connor's return. If we stay one-dimensional with passing, and their reputation getting worse with the "drops", the need for a running game only becomes that much more magnified. STEELWINDS

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You people know teams have run game coordinator's?
    I would say our run game coordinator needs to step up
    quite a bit and get introduced to the RB's coach. To see why
    we can't open up consistent running lanes.You must understand the running game
    principles and apply them to your strength. This has to be found
    and quickly. Do you all realize how much pressure this would take
    off MR if he had a rb/s gaining substantial yards? HUGE. this opens up the play action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not pass blocking? That pocket closes in on mason as soon as he sets his feet. He can't step into a throw. They do need to stop emptying the backfield and allowing teams to pin their ears back. These guys are aging. They have to play better.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Here’s the problem..... Our OL was the Best or 2nd best last two years..... Munch leaves and they aren’t THAT good anymore so it looks worse.... They are still playing pretty good considering......

Foster has been out and he is an anchor at LG both physically and mentally!!! B.J. Finley has shown he isn’t the answer at LG and Pouncey isn’t who he once was.

The Rams have a very good defense.... Donald, Fowler, Mathews up front and Ramsey and Weddle back end and they had 3 sacks..... not too bad by our OL and with Connor and Snell out our rushing attack was also slowed down.

Let’s remember vs that 49er Front seven they held up and only gave up 2 sacks.... AND the 49ers Front 7 is Legit!!!

Moving Feiler over to LG vs the Rams was smart, he’s probably our future there.... Chuks did ok at RT but there is definitely room for growth.

Cajun

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey 43.

Yes, I think that have lived up to their reputation as a "Pass-Blocking" line. However, there are times that we need them to just manhandle the guy in front of them, 1-1. Especially, down in the goal line situations. Stop being cute and just play "Smash-Mouth" football. STEELWINDS

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Unfortunately they are not that type of an Oline. Most of the success they seem to have in the run game is based off of blocking angles and pulling by the Oline.

14. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017
    I agree....there are times in a game you need to buckle up and just out physical the guy in front of you.As a player you have to have that mindset.
    They are not asked to do this all game long,but if need be you should be able to do it.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree with everything except that Finley is okay at guard but Chuck did not do good at right tackle, actually to be blunt he stunk and wiffed many times by not even touching who he was to block.