1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill predicts repeat of SB XL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Fixed it foy ya :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Tomlin will deserve a lot of credit for a Superbowl win, or even appearance this year, no matter who suits up. I don't give him much credit for his first ring, and I never will. But this year is different. We're too far removed from that team, that cast of characters. This is his team. It will go where he takes it. And with the pandemic driving much of what is done between game days, no preseason, and no Steeler faithful in the stands, the product on the field will be of his doing moreso than any other year.

I don't have to like him as our HC to be fair and give him credit where it is due. I'd like nothing more than to call him a HoF coach with at least 2 rings to his credit. But until that happens, I reserve the right to complain about him being nothing more than our Head Cheerleader.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thing is Glory Days is that he has already won a SB. Something you refuse to give him credit for. No one can take your opinion seriously about what Tomlin is, it comes across as sour grapes. Maybe he is the best coach this side of cheating since 2005. A realistic view of the failures of our killer B's, their truancy, Big Ben oofs, & a defensive tragedy or two tells the true story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pretty sure they will be advertising that game on Monday night as a possible preview for AFCCG.

They both have young tough QB's. I guess Brady was last QB over 35 to win SB. Don't think their have been many over 35 to win the SB. Too lazy to look it up. Farve???? Elway??? P. Manning??? I think Brees was under when he won.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The same Seahawks team that is ranked last in defense :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steeler dane

Steeler dane Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    And by a wide margin.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steeler dane

Steeler dane Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    I don't know about that KC didn't look to dominate scrapping by the Chargers in OT.

8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Fair point still Ben would have to play the game of his life to score enough to beat them in a playoff game

9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

Well, as we all would most likely agree, we need to handle our business with the Texans. After that, if we are to be a serious contender, then we should be handling the Titans as well IMO. This team, IMO, is built for a "Ring". So honestly, not looking past the Texans, we should beat them and yes we should also handle the Titans. I would like to think that as the season progresses, so does every facet of our team. I am excited that we have scored twenty-six points in each of the first two games with a "just getting back to business" Ben. A just getting "re-acclimated" Ben on a number of levels. The elbow, chemistry building, working with players that he never has with before: Claypool, Ebron, McFarland, and even Dionate Johnson to a big degree. These are "high-quality" players folks. As I have stated all of the off-season, I believe we are exceptionally talented on both the Offense as well as the Defense.

That which I have stated above has me extremely optimistic about our Steelers. I believe that this Offense has only begun to scratch the surface. Excellent, from my vantage point; again considering what I just outlined above in regards to getting "re-acclimated".

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If I posted on any Pirate message boards, I would probably be one of them. I don’t even consider myself a fan anymore, but the way that franchise has violated the public trust with my hometown and wasted PNC Park drives me nuts. Pirates fans have good reasons for gloom and doom.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    And I bet their message board has the same stuff ours had since the Denver game was to close.

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're confusing me, and normally I get exactly what you're saying, even when I disagree.

I don't know why you felt the need to tell me Tomlin has already won a SB. I never said he hasn't.

And I have never said he deserves NO credit for winning one. I just give him very little.

And how in the holy hell does my criticism of him come across as sour grapes???? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I've said this before, as a coach, I felt that I was ultimately responsible for the product on the field. Not the outcome, but the product. There will be losses even when you play a complete game because that's the nature of competition. I have been incredibly proud of my guys when the score ended up not in our favor. I've also been disappointed in them in victory. But the responsibility was mine to make sure they were ready and to put them in the best position to succeed. If I failed to do that, the blame fell on me, not them. The same goes for Tomlin.

The true story is that an opportunity was lost with one of the greatest collections of offensive talent. The true story is that we didn't field a competitive defense when the offense was stacked.

Building a one sided team where the offense is all world and the defense is crap is like gameplanning to sell out to stop the run and risk losing the game because you're not good enough to stock and coach a complete defense.

It's like glossing over a LB trailing a TE by 5 yards on two plays in a row that gives up 8 points by saying the problem is someone didn't blitz.

I'm sorry, but stupid is stupid.

The HC is responsible for the product on the field, not the outcome. Tomlin took talent and rode it to a win and got a ring. Did he make sure they showed up to the right stadium? Absolutely. Did he pump his fist like a boss? Most definitely. So he gets some credit. I won't take that away from him.

But since then, we've watched and allowed a team to underperform, to play down to the level of inferior opponents and rarely rise to the level of superior. That isn't because our stars didn't shine bright enough, truancy, or tragedy. Because a real HC overcomes that by leading, not following.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Some solid points Glory days. Tomlin did try to build a defense, lost his best playmaker. Struck out in the draft with his project players & some who were considered up & coming (the DB who never seen a snap, can't remember his name). He's not a tactician, x&o guy or very good at winning challenges. He went into some last few playoff games without the team that got him there. He has been trying to rebuild the defense, don't see your point on neglecting that side of the ball. Stack him up next to all the other coaches he is competing with. He is near the top when it comes down to what matters in the NFL, Wins or Losses. If one expects perfection from Tomlin, why not the players? Every snap TJ doesn't produce a turnover means he plays down to the guy across from him? Not converting 3rd downs because Ben is in over his head?

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I get it. And there's nothing wrong with that view. I just see it differently. I don't expect perfection from Tomlin or the players, I expect signs of improvement. I expect corrections where they can be made. My greatest beef with him is his inability to right the ship. If he were captaining a vessel taking on water, he would be more concerned with the passengers' state of mind than the short in the bilge pump wiring.

I just want to see the nagging issues addressed. I don't want to complain about the secondary for multiple seasons. I certainly don't want to get the impression that it's so bad that it can only succeed if we get a sack. And after two weeks of making bargain basement qb's look like they're severely underpaid, that is my impression.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

And like I said, I'd love to have to eat crow and proclaim Tomlin as deserving of accolades. I'd love nothing more than for him to legitimately win coach of the year and grab another ring.