1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill predicts repeat of SB XL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Between Danny Smith and Pete Carroll, there would be a gum shortage!

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

Technically true. :grin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

As Ray D stated in a post below: "Technically true". And yes, so be it if it does happen. And for the obvious. For all of the great "O" weapons we had last season and that terrific Defense, it was all for not because we lacked a QB; specifically Mr. Roethlisberger. So, if we do make it to the Super Bowl this season, what really would be the differentiating factor? Of course, the QB. And again, who would that be? Of course again, Mr. Roethlisberger.

Now in fairness to Coach Tomlin. I think he has assembled a very good team minus Ben. I still do not think he is very adept at the Xs and Os of the game. As stated, I think his strengths are of the more intangible type. Motivation, fighting through adversity and alike. However, that is probably not going to be good enough to get #7 IMO. If it was, we would have gotten it with AB, Bell, Bryant, and on his way out the door, but still effective, Heath Miller.

One big differentiating factor though is the Defense that is now in place. I do not think we have ever had this "Complete" of a Defense in such a long time IMO. Although, admittedly, they have not played up to my standard of high expectations this season, YET (smile). I thought after last season's stellar performance, with no Offense to say the least, they would be exponentially better because we now have an Offense again. And we do.

This Defense should be so much more rested throughout the games as they are not on the field as much. You know how this works in theory. I am still waiting for the shut-outs to transpire, and yes, to eventually fulfill my goal of leading the league in Scoring Defense. I will not accept what some are calling a regression of sorts right now of the "D". Come on, less than one-calendar year removed from that awesome performance last season. We can re-visit my high-set goals later and see where we stand.

Back to the Offense. I am "jacked". and for good reason IMO. Two games through and we have scored twenty-six points in each contest. This, with a rehabilitated Ben who is finding is way back. Re-building chemistry with the "old" and building chemistry with the "new". New meaning: Claypool, Ebron, McFarland and even D. Johnson for the most part. Again, two games in and Ben is, well I do not want to put a percentage on it, but let's just say Ben still has a way to go to get back to pre-injury form Ben IMO. Wait now, that is a good thing, considering how well he is playing now. Just imagine when he really starts feeling like his old self. As I like to say.... Just Wow!

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I like that he told Ben to make it happen.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If we make the SB Tomlin will have other guys draftees on his defense, Cowher players on his offense catapulting him to his elite record as a coach...lol

Ben will have to step up his playoff performance to help realize our dreams of winning another AFCCG.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Seahawks would whip the sh!t out of the Steelers. As of right now.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    We played well against Seattle just last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Going into SB XL, the Seachickens had the #1 offense in the league by a wide margin. Steelers defense held them to 10 points. Hypothetically speaking today. I like our chances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't. Unless the offense becomes more consistent and the secondary and ILBs shore up their issues... we're flying a burning plane.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    But, this version of the Seahawks have a FAR better QB, tight ends and receivers who can catch and an accurate kicker. It's only 2 weeks in but, this Steelers team isn't ready for a SB. IMO

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Heinz Mustard.

I really do not see it that way at all. I think we have a terrific Offense that is nowhere near peak. Ben is back, still rusty, still re-finding his way and we still have put up twenty-six in two straight games. If you are going to say look at who we played I would have to respectfully cut you off at the pass.

Again, Ben has been out of the game for almost a year, no Spring OTAs, no preseason, getting re-acclimated to the "old" players that he knows and getting acclimated to the "new" that he does not know. And the new ones are big names: Claypool, Ebron, McFarland (?) and Diontae Johnson who he has a minimal resume with. Given that, I say "Watch Out" for this Offense once Ben and everyone else on the Offense really "settles in" with one another.

I believe the Defense will be fine. According to some here they are one step short of a mess. Really? This Defense has been making big plays in the first two games. Nonetheless, I admit I am not happy with the scoring defense up to this point. Given that, Nelson was the guy to "pick-on" in the first game along with Edmunds. The second game it was Haden and now no Edmunds this time. Some people are never satisfied. If it was the same players two games in a row I would have the beginnings of some reservations but that is not the case from the first two games.

Sure, some things need to be "ironed-out". However, overall I am pleased where we are and yes I believe that we belong at the "table talk" conversation of the Super Bowl. The season is very early and we are re-finding our way back to being significant. The one factor that we can pinpoint is having Ben back. Basically, this is the same team as last year with that one glaring difference, Ben. We all know how important the QB is to our team. It is a day and night difference from last season. No denying it. Ben is that important to our success.

Also, we can only play who is on the schedule and in that order. We have played the Giants and the Broncos and have beaten each one of them. Maybe not to the picture-perfect extent that some want to see but we won. So let's move onto the next game and the next and so on and see how we progress.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

When I said Hypothetically speaking today. it was meant for this years SB matchup if the scenario played out. If it was this week we'd get throttled but I think this team finally has some chemistry to take it to great heights, which is what it takes just to get to the SB. Of coarse they have to stay healthy. All teams right now are still wet behind the ears, obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Good post... I agree with most of what you say. I'm gonna reserve judgement until after the Texans game. If the Steelers can defeat a desperate 0-2 Texans team and go 3-0... I'll be impressed. That will give the Steelers some room for error if they crap the bed against the Titans on the road next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You can jump out anytime. I like your analogy, but it is over dramatized like two teenage girls crying about their zits.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I like drama. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I get what you're saying. I'm hoping week 17s Steelers have cleaned up the drops, overthrows, PENALTIES and be a contender!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If we lose to the Texans all this talk stops lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Why 15-1 is fine.

• Like Like x 2
  22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Dont you get tired of being full of gloom and doom?

• Like Like x 1
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sometimes I wish he was a big Pirate fan, he would be considered a moderate on the Pirate message boards. At times I worry some of those posters are going to hunt the owner down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    It's not doom and gloom... it's realism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    If you watch KC and Baltimore we have along way to go to thinking we are on that level.

• Winner Winner x 2