1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Cowher on the Steelers struggle and Kenny....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Oct 30, 2022.

1. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Warren seems to do jus fine!

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree. Do we think Najee's injury is the issue? He literally runs with NO purpose at all.

3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, it`s great to sit back as a TV commentator and pontificate about how things should be, but the reality is we cannot run the ball like Cowher would have as coach because we do not have the 0-line to do that. Cowher ball is simply not even an option for this team right now. I think Kenny is the type that can mentally handle it, learn the hard way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I would agree that Najee isn't running the same, but there are some contributors.
    He's not getting many yards before touch.. he's wading through defenders as soon as he gets the ball.
    I do note, again, he is not running the same. Maybe it is the foot, I am not sure.
    That said, Warren is powering to the holes/lanes.
    Warren is not the athlete Najee is, but he currently gives them a solid horse in the run game.
    I would probably reduce Najee's carries and run Warren for the time being.

They've got to get to 25+ carries a game and around 125 yds.
    Right now Najee and Warren are hood ornaments... combined for a lousy 14 carries.
    The Steelers cannot get into shootouts. We do not have the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Matt Canada should NOT survive the bye! Shoot, he shouldn't survive Monday!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The same Gunner that was a special teams superstar under a well coached team in New England?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There's certainly good reason to entertain that kind of option.

Looking at this game, it is obvious the offensive game plan is not good.
    The Eagles roster is clearly better with the exception of QB - Make no mistake, the Eagles will win that division but come playoffs, teams will expose the QB issue.
    Pittsburgh had to know that their secondary is depleted and cannot match 1:1 with those receivers.
    They had to play mistake free ball.
    The way to do that is slow the game down by running the ball and keeping the Eagles offense off the field.

Offensive lines like to run the ball, the blocking is pretty straight forward.
    As I see it, the Steelers (re Canada) had no plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Yep the coach aint the reason he is droppin balls n makin mistakes!

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed but to go even further, I think Warren would be ineffective as well if he was getting the same Najee attention from defenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I think you are correct. My only premise is that right now, Warren is more decisive in hitting the hole. Najee is obviously much more talented, but I think he's still dinged.

I am starting to see just a complete mess at the offensive design.
    Normally, the OC's design is to create the different angles and schema and use his players skillsets to advantage.

So, either Canada's zone blocking schema is not working at all - Inside or outside
    or
    he has become too predictable in the sequence or formation looks.
    In either case, he is not getting production from his ground game and allowing us the be too predictable.

I've been looking at the way he uses Pickens, and there is literally no apparent plan in place.
    He doesn't really move him around a lot to maximize his skills by forcing bad angles and quick decisions by the defense.
    The bulk of the aerial game is sideline passes, (short and med), a couple seams and bubble screens.
    Additionally, he doesn't seem to be creative in showing pass then running or doing the unexpected.
    He does seem to use a formation and vary the target, to sort of mix things, but that's limited.
    And there seems to be no focus on the perceived weak spots of a defense and keep them off balance.
    So, he's not helping Najee or anyone for that matter.

As mentioned, Claypool has some bright moments when he does get the ball.
    You would think he would get a little creative with the angles to get him the ball.

I hate beating up coaching without benefit of the doubt, but I think Matt is earning his criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is the second time you have asserted that Jalen Hurts is the Eagles' weak spot. At best, your information is out of date. I agree that the Steelers made him look even better yesterday. The secondary was terrible, including Fitzpatrick, but Hurts has come a long way as a passer. He is among the league leaders in passer rating and yards per attempt. He has thrown only two interceptions this season, which is especially impressive for a guy who throws the ball down the field.

I don't think he is up there with the elite guys like Mahomes and Allen, but he is solidly in the next tier. He isn't stagnant like Lamar Jackson. He actually keeps getting better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Kenny wasn’t in the mood for foolish questions. Glad to see how much losing bothers him. I’m not worried about his mental makeup at all. He strikes me as the type to overcome adversity.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I've probably asserted it a lot more than twice.
    When you are throwing to guys like Smith and Brown with Goedert and mix a little Sanders in, Tim Tebow can look good.
    Then you have Shane Steichen who has designed a good game plan to create the angles and avenues to help a mediocre QB out.
    Hurts can already run the ball, not a question and Shane Steichen has added that dimension nicely to force Defenses to think on the run.
    Plug Hurts in New Orleans and you probably get a bust.
    Shane Steichen is a MVP.

On the Balitmore side, yes, Defenses have figured out to keep Jackson in the pocket.
    Baltimore just didn't add weapons to keep defenses off balance so Lamar could take advantage of their mistakes.
    Their defense is bleeding points, so it forces their hands on Offense.

Shane Steichen has created a perfect environment for his QB, a nice comfort zone and Shane has a good history in doing that.
    He would probably much rather have Herbert running that offense.
    As long as he can do what he is doing, Hurts will earn marks higher than his talent level really is.
    You'll find I am pretty close to the mark. Where do I rank Hurts? tough to call as Philly has a lot of weapons to force the QB into the spotlight.
    Kansas and Buffalo will do that.
    I might rank him as high as 10 and no lower than 15. I'd rather have Herbert too. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hurts has gotten better throughout his career. I'm not sure you can say that about Herbert, though the rib injury has held him back this season.

Yes, he's in a great situation, but he is taking full advantage of it. Look at his second and third touchdown passes yesterday. They were beautiful throws right on target.

Patrick Mahomes has had Travis Kelce for his entire career and he had Tyreek Hill until this year. Does that mean he isn't good?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL....You are comparing Hurt to Mahomes. Knowing with everything You said....Hurts 1st TD pass was not only a bad decision, but a dang lucky break. If they comes down with the pick....like it should have been....He doesn't even attempt that again. He's OK as a Qb, but like I said this year. Outside of Mahomes/Allen/Burrow....the rest are average, but of course being the rest of the Qbs are average....Guys like Tua, and Hurts look better. Hell even a one eyed Man is King over the blind.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I guess he's never heard of Kurt Warner.

17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Well surely, you're not comparing Hurts to Mahomes? Nah.
    Mahomes would be pretty good on 31 other teams while Hurts, probably no so much.
    He made some terrible throws yesterday and those guys made look good.
    Hurts owes his career to Shane.

I was just reading an article from a Philly paper that still has doubts about Hurts.
    But to be fair, Philly did boo Santa, so Hurts isn't anything special.

Philly is a good team playing good football in all phases, and against a crappy NFC where Minnesota is what, the 2nd best team.
    *Oh gawd, I just realized the best QB in the NFC is probably Geno Smith, that guy is playing like someone possessed and a guy like Aaron Rogers is looking pretty mediocre. Talk about Bizarro-world.
    I guess in the NFC, Hurts is a top 5..

Tom Brady gets excluded; he should have listened to Gizelle.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

Great post, IMO! The thing is, and I believe even Tomlin's posse, groupies, boys, supporters, allies, brown-nosers, ball washers, whatever you call them, will even admit...the amplification of pressure on Tomlin will exponentially increase with each loss, and especially each uncompetitive loss. The entire team, including coaches, are HIS responsibility. No more of Cowhers players. People are finally seeing all the excuses made for Tomlin and calling "bullsh!t"...in another town, an AVERAGE coach like Tomlin is acceptable. Right or wrong, it is NOT acceptable in Pittsburgh. If you want to blame the Emperor for this, have at it...but at any rate, it's time to hold Tomlin accountable for this CLOWN SHOW! The Steelers need to turn the page, and frankly, so does Tomlin...

#firetomlin

19. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Can’t stick to the run when

1. Your offense can’t run the ball

2. Your defense can’t stop the other team from scoring.

20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Rats just addressed that weakness by trading for Roquan Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

He has never comparing Hurt to Mahomes...It was just a exemple....

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey little Timmy stick your thumb back in your mouth

:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

Here they come! Cue the Mike Dumblin ball washers in 3...2....1....

#firetomlin

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey Little Timmy

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Something this stupid will never catch on

You are a team of one

• Agree Agree x 1