1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Cowher - "I am not coaching next year"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Oct 30, 2011.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Heard Cowher on NFL today and he addressed all the rumours about him taking the Miami job. He said he has not been contacted by any team, and he stated he will not be coaching anywhere next year, that he'll be staying right where he is at CBS.

Thought some of you might be interested. Anything to do with Cowher is Steelers related in my eyes.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Interesting. I thought it was 50/50. I mean, he's got a really cushy job at CBS, so I'm not that surprised. At least that should quell the rumor mill for a while.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Cowher is done coaching. He's got a pretty cushy job, has won a SB already, numerous division titles. I can't see him being compelled enough to get back into the coaching grind, they put in a sick amount of hours, I just don't see him having that drive anymore.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he will coach again, if it is in your blood it is in your blood.

He quit because he wanted to spend more time with his family while his kids were in college and he could still see them play sports, but eventually when all that is over I think he will want to go back.

What doesn't help is I think he gets real annoyed when broadcasters are linking him to a team. He doesn't want to be the guy to force another coach out. He might have taken the Giants or Panthers job if it hadn't gotten leaked he was interested...

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe, he could be waiting for the right opportunity but the longer you are away the less likely the chance of coming back. If he doesn't take the Miami job he's not coming back. It's considered one of the best coaching positions in the league. Plus they might be getting Luck. If that doesn't draw him out, he's done.

6. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    It would be stupid not to want Luck, but Cowher never liked QB's.

He is all about defense and a running game. He might covet a place that had those 2 things. I think last year he should have went to the 49ers. That is a Cowher team if I ever saw one.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Name one coach that has become a broadcaster/analyst and has come back to have success as an NFL coach. When Parcells came back I don't think he had the same kind of desire and drive that he had when he coached the Giants in the early days and I think his coaching legacy will be hurt because of it. I think if Cowher comes back he'll be mediocre at best (unless he ends up the coach on the team that drafts Andrew Luck) and his legacy will be tarnished. The fire in the belly has gone out. I think what teams ought to be doing instead of coaxing Cowher and Gruden out of retirement is to try to find a successful OC or DC with something to prove. That fomula has worked pretty well for the Steelers over the years. Forget about recycling these has been coaches.

8. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree it tarnishes the legacy and it most often never works out.

...but the coaches keep coming back for more, for what ever reason. Like I said...if it is in your blood it is in your blood.