1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Callahan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 2, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's a long time OL coach, and former HC, if the Steelers wanted to upgrade from Sarrett he would be a good choice. He most recently held both positions with the Redskins.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You can very likely put it in the never gonna happen category

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While he had some success as HC with the Raiders in the early 2000's (inherited from Gruden), has he done anything lately that would aid this Steelers O or O-line?

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Callahan will probably always be remembered most for this.

5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would love for Tomlin to speak the truth, but it is a balancing act as a coach to speak the truth and protect from calling out a player in the media.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    How about Tommy Callahan from Callahan auto parts?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Shut up, Richard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Tommy Boy

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    We'd be better off with inspector Harry Callahan!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah. Callahan's rant didn't go over well with the players at all.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey steelerules6.

You know, I have to wonder why the drop-off in performance with the OL this season, in what I consider, to be such a short-time span since Munchak’s departure. I just cannot buy into the idea that the O-Line’s skills deteriorated that quickly. Just a theory, but maybe some “air was taken out of their sails” when they realized that Ben was out for the whole season. Maybe they kind of "threw in towel" when that happened. I would hope not for a whole bunch of reasons including:
    • Getting paid to do their jobs no matter who is under Center.
    • Being the Professionals that they are.
    • Keeping with the mantra which Ben always quotes “We are a Band of Brothers”.
    I just am perplexed as to why such a drop in performance when there were no glaring reasons for it. Also, maybe Sarrett’s way of doing things was totally out of synch with Munchak’s. Maybe some minor tweaking here and there but overall I would hope that he would follow the old Proverb: “If it ain't broke, don't fix it”. I just do not get it. :shrug:

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

Good analogy on the wind being taken out of their sails... I've thought the same. Hell Ben going down took the air out of the whole team, fan base, city, etc... The same way it would and has done to any team prior and will do so in the future. Stud QBs are the pinnacle of most teams in the sense so goes the boss so goes the company.

Going through your list is where the reality of times these days lies. They get paid handsomely to do their jobs but in all reality production in this era ain't what it used to be with a hell of a lot of excuse in tow to challenge why... Which is sad but true.

Being professional is afforded the same excuses as the above... Easier to excuse a drop off in professionalism when the whole damn world is quite a bit less professional than it used to be.

Band of brothers makes for a good flag flying mantra but the best bands start relying on their greatest hits albums when the cornerstone or key components quits,dies, goes off on whatever enlightening venture appeals to them. See Journey amongst a plethora of others hahahahahahaha

There is truth to your being perplexed as to no glaring reasons as to why a coaches departure would tank a unit but it's all in the same vein. They lost their leader in Munch. Defenses evolve in this day and age and so against opposition with adversaries losing their field general, further compounded by age and injury and further further compounded by their OC's refusal to dumb the semantics of the playbook down to pure situational ball giving noticeable weaknesses or wretchedness a snow balls chance at being put in the slightest of positive situation.

Foster should've been gone in my opinion awhile back. Pouncey should've been moved to guard to maximize his athleticism awhile back. Big AL has done pretty well with his position change to becoming a legit tackle but took a step back this year. Again coaching did not help them address line problems which may have further exposed an inevidible decline or aided the wind being taken from their sails.

Idk I'm just spit balling here and a lot of things could have been different looking back but all of the above do apply.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Well, his offensive line in Washington was playing without its best tackle all year and had an erratic rookie quarterback under center most of the year yet still managed to run the ball effectively with an eighty-year-old warhorse named Adrian Peterson, who averaged over 4.6 yards a carry. Tomlin could only dream about having a line and a back that could do that this year. I would be happy to see him take over offensive line duties in Pittsburgh next year, but I imagine Sarrett will get another crack at it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He has more experience as a OL coach than Sarrett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Or maybe it was because our passing game was so abysmal that teams had 7/8 in the box constantly and blitzed with little to no fear?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That would make my day.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. Callahan committed to the run in Washington. Not bad numbers. Sorry Sabbrett is not the answer to coach up this line as their will be changes.

Foster will be gone, Finney is a UFA, Al is struggling and is 31 and will be a UFA in 2021. Pouncey struggled as well and is a UFA in 2022. Decastro is still playing at a high level.

Hopefully they try to sign Finney but the price may be to steep. A versatile player.

Feiler was signed last season as a exclusive and is a restricted free agent which should get the highest tender. Have to keep him.

They could move him inside replacing Foster and work Okorafor to RT unless they sign Finney.

The line will need a strong voice and a quality coach ala Munchak going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree with the OL decline being a disappointment and mystery of why it happened but one of your points made me think about who these players are. There is a difference between being a professional and acting professional. NFL players are "professional" because they are paid for what they do. Didn't achieve any academic degree or discipline, or certification to acquire their professional status. Achievement was due to playing a sport at a high level for entertainment purposes. I do not believe that all "act professional" either on the field or off. So the word professional to me doesn't fit with a lot of NFL players ( as well as other teams/sports) when expecting a preconceived idea of how a professional should conduct themselves. In this case doing the best to their abilities at all times because they are being paid.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Isn't Sarrett younger than most of the olinemen? Do they call him grasshopper?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey SteelHog.

Always, a pleasure to chat with you. Yes, I agree with your following Quotes below. I did the blue font responses to try to make it easier on the reader (smile).
    • “There is a difference between being a professional and acting professional”.
    Yes, “Being a Professional”, would technically include some type of "Documentation" such as a College Degree or Vocational Certification as two examples. Even, given that (I will stick with my arena, education), I know some Teachers and Principals that have no clue as to what it takes to “Act” Professional”. Trust me; I could share stories with you all day long about that topic. A real shame I tell you.

• “Didn't achieve any academic degree or discipline, or certification to acquire their professional status”.
    In this regards, yes. Some NFL players did not finish college as we know. And even with other sports like baseball, hockey and basketball I do not know if they even have to have completed High School to get signed by a professional sports team. We know that is why there are Minor Leagues and Farm Systems set up. I would hope that at the minimum, they would have to have at least acquired a HS Diploma to be signed.

With Pro Football, there is an age limit due to the physical maturation process and demands upon the human body. One must be at least 20 years of age to enter the draft. This only makes sense once again due to the physical nature of the sport and the anatomical and physiological development of the human body.

• “I do not believe that all "act professional" either on the field or off”.
    Yes, again.

Just look below at some of our guys over the years that I listed. For the record, I am not picking on our guys. Their issues are just clearer in my mind. I personally, believe that the Steelers’ Management does a good job of handling many of these types of issues at the In-House Level, far and wide better than any other team. Not perfect, but the best, IMO. Many other teams will use the: “Oh well, we will just let the process play itself out with the NFL or Court of Law”. I say BS. This is to buy them time to keep their player(s) on the field.

• Ernie Holmes shooting at helicopters.
    • Santonio Holmes and his run-ins with the laws.
    • James Harrison hitting his girlfriend.
    • AB, forget it too many to list.

Take care.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jujubean.

Yes, my friend. The "Stacking of the Box" for sure would complicate things. Maybe, it would also partially explain the underutilization of our TEs that I have been complaining about all season. If the box was being stacked, then yes I could see our TEs being used more in a blocking capacity than in a pass-catching mode. Nevertheless, the TEs could be set up for this and then "Released" to go out for a pass or for check-downs which I did not see much of either. Whatever the reason(s) was for our O-Line woes, the coaching staff, not just Sarrett, does not receive a high mark from me regarding their performance this season. Take care.

22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Can't forget Otis Sistruck who I believe was an alumni from the University of Mars.

• Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    https://apple.news/Ae_AV10pSPtaaLhNbwpcGMw

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 1