1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest shock yesterday was Gentry as a receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    The Steelers treat Gentry like he's an OT - never seem to send him out as a receiver but yesterday he made 2 nice grabs. Maybe he's no RAC threat like Ebron but he seems to have decent hands. I agree we should trade Ebron and roll with Muth and Gentry. Muth has some RAC ability and Gentry is big enough to catch it and fall down in the middle of the field a la Jesse James.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s actually been getting some playing time for a few games now.

He’s coming along, I had given up on him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    loved it. I'll take 2 husky men that are slow but can block than a guy that drops every 3rd pass. Nice 2 TE sets, now Ben has to take advantage of teams crowding the LOS.

4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Ebron’s ability to cause me to YAC after every drop is impressive.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Prior to yesterday Gentry had 4 career catches.
    Keep in mind this is Gentry's 3rd season on the Steelers.
    He had one catch in 2019 and zero catches in the 2020 season.

Yesterday he had 3 for 39 yards.

Better yet he blocks well, which helps Najee Harris.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I gave up on Gentry as well; doubly so after the Pat Freiermuth pick this season. Thought that Gentry was all but done not just in a Steelers uniform but an NFL one. Happy to see him finally shine some. For that matter, should Eric be traded, I have some faith that Gentry can become a solid secondary TE in this Offense.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I started noticing Gentry a few games ago when I thought Muth was going to get more involved. Turned out he was struggling with his blocking so they were using Gentry who handled himself well.

I agree, roll with Muth and Gentry and move on from Ebron.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. I still believe I would listen to offers from Green Bay for Ebron if I am AR II, KC and MT. Beyond Green Bay, perhaps the Giants??

Speaking of trades and, a bit off topic, I can only imagine how much more desperate pass rushing needy teams are for Ingram now that Von Miller is off the market. I would say if I am Pittsburgh, a 4th or a 5th with a player.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he played last year until the knee injury. he was a decent receiver in college but just not use much. rader can catch run patterns and block as well. ebron is expendable. :cool:

10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Speaking of trade, I expect to get slam for this but here it goes. Washington to GB for Jordan Love straight up. GB needs WRs and Washington is not being targeted here in Pittsburgh . Meanwhile, trading Love will appease Rodgers and entice him to stay

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL, are you new here? Gentry has always been able to catch the ball, he just couldn't block to save his life. He was recruited my Michigan to play QB, and then later was moved to TE. I still remember that amazing catch he had his rookie year in preseason in the end zone from Rudolph.

If you had seen any of the training camp reports you would have heard all the talk about how much bigger he was this year. He really his the weights this offseason and can now actually play the TE position.
    upload_2021-11-1_14-25-39.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Great Catch! Love watching Rudolph scramble around buying himself a little more time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I won't slam you for it, but you are vastly overrating Washington. There is no way Green Bay is giving up Love for him.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Gentry has completely remade himself. Give the guy credit for putting in the work to become a useful player.

• Agree Agree x 2