1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Needs For The 2018 NFL Draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Sep 18, 2017.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    When it comes to need, in no particular order is:

QB - Ben is going to retire some time.
    RB - I assume that Bell has this year and next. Conner we don't know about yet. We need some depth
    WR - Again, Bryant is here this and next. JuJu is going to be good, but taking someone say in the 4th - 6th rounds should be considered.
    TE - Major need here. James is no answer and MacDonald cannot really catch.
    Oline - Always an option for depth.

D End - I think with Alualu and Walton we are pretty good here.
    NT - I like Hargrave, I don't like McCullers. I am not suggesting a #1 pick, but someone to replace him for depth, a developmental guy should be taken.
    OLB - Watt is for real. Dupree is still not where I want, but coming. I think we can go UFA for depth after Adams who I think we like. JH will be gone after this year.
    ILB - I just don't like our depth. Could be an option for the #1 overall if we can find an impact player.
    CB - I think with Allen and Sutton combined with where we are headed with Burns, Haden, and Hilton we are in good shape.
    S - Mike Mitchell is what he is. I don't think you draft a guy to start over him next year, but maybe his long term replacement. It would kick Golden off the roster.

The items bolded above seem to be the best bets for the #1 picks.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Free Safety is probably the best bet for our first pick. If Ben retires then QB would be pick. I could see a TE, but probably rounds 2-4. Same with ILB. The rest based on BPA or positional need

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It pains me to admit this, but we need another stud olb. Dupree is a back up level player at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    huguenin and adams are sitting in the wings for us. :smiley1::cool:

6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Call me crazy, but I would prefer a stud olb as opposed to one of your annual long shot man crushes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    man crush? adams was a draft pick.

let's reveiw: hubbard man crush. starting tackle. holba starting LS. hilton nickle back. grimble 2nd- 3rd TE with important score this week. finney back up O-lineman and has started. lj fort still BU ilb/ ST 3 years later. matt feiler makes team and plays last week for injury. every year seems like these man crushes make the team and contribute. the team keeps around others for a reason too. :smiley1::cool:

8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Contributing on st, being a back up etc is in no way shape or form being a stud player. Would Hubbard be starting at tackle if it weren’t for a suspension? No.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    drafting a player doesn't make them a stud player either. hence the dupree situation. should be glad we have hubbard that has started many games for us. he's started games when there were just injuries this year and not the suspension. all these players have been valuable to us. you can down play them all you want but they fit the bill when needed and have played well for us. hell harrison was one of these man crush players too and he became pretty studly when finally given his chance. :cool:

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

That doesn’t change the fact that Hubbard is a replacement level player at best. He’s a backup for a reason. Obviously we need backups, but don’t try and make him out to be something he isn’t. For every James Harrison there are 1,000’s and 1,000’s of not good enough and never will be. At this point it’s fairly clear that Dupree was overdrafted. Not as badly as Jarvis Jones, but overdrafted nonetheless. So my statement still stands that we need a stud olb. By all means hang on to your wishes that whichever udfa or 7th round draft pick hits, but you really shouldn’t hold your breath.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    how about AV and foster? many many udfa's and later round picks make it in the nfl every year. :cool:

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok mac... list the other 15,000 man crushes you’ve had, and where they are now. :cool:

I’m just teasing a bit, but if you play up a ton of guys, you’re going to occasionally hit. I remember a similar discussion a few years ago when you played up a few OLBs whose names I can’t remember because they never played an NFL down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

but i don't play up a ton of guys to start with. i guess over the years since i've been a fan for 58 years you could say there have been many. that selective memory of yours does remember several years ago i played up a few OLB's but no names. hmmm interesting. when you come up with them we'll talk. :smiley1::cool:

14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Only 58 years. your still a rookie.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no. i'm in my prime and we are looking towards you're retirement. :lolol::smiley1::cool:

16. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Sorry you missed the retirement. I'm pretty sure the next step is death and it's not far off. I've had 2 strokes this year with the last one being a week ago and the doc doesn't know why, and he is good, and we have run all the test and probably can't avoid another stroke which should finish the job. I'm realizing how close the end is so I need to do whatever I can to make as much money for the animals as I can by the end of the year.
    I have been very lucky the past 2 years on football. hockey and the ponies. This should be the best year of the three which is appropriate. My goal for this year was $25,000.00 which with matching funds that both of the charities have available I have reached. Since this is probably my last rodeo I think I will shoot for $35,000.00 as the new target.
    I am ready to go to whatever is next. I do believe I will find my wife who past 10 years ago. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. By the way I meant to use green font on my original post.
    It would be nice for the Steelers to win #7 before I go.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i know you were joking fan. i hate to hear that my friend. hang in there. my dad is going through some of this type of thing too with the veins in the head. nothing they can do and he's been having mini strokes. he's 81. hang in there and i'll be saying a prayer for you my friend. good luck to you. :drinks::cool:

18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks

19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    It depends how serious Ben's retiring comments are. If he calls it quit, QB needs to be top priority. If he looks like he's coming back, QB lesser a priority but still a unit to keep in mind. Other than that I want at least 2 DBs taken in the 1st 4 rounds. Maybe a CB and S, or 2 S. Naw, that won't happen, with the team still sticking with Davis.

I read one mock that had us taking a LB...gee whiz what happened to the days of us finding Lloyds and Porters in later rounds? We can't seem to ever stop needing to take LBs in the 1st round these days.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ryan Shaizers injury has caused quite the issue in itself. Granted, no one player in the upcoming draft among linebackers can replicate what he does sans possibly Roquan Smith.

Given the fact that he is a top 15 pick, someone like Josh Allen (Kentucky), Malik Jefferson or Joey Jewell may have to suffice; Josh Allen and/or Malik Jefferson likely being a late first round selection anyways pending the combine.

21. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Dear Lord, I am sorry fan. I wish you the best and hope your lady is waiting for you with a big smile.

22. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

if you get a chance check out kyzir white from w.va. and fred warner byu. as i wrote in my extremely early draft either of these guys could be a player that we could move in for the ILB spot. it wouldn't be a big stretch for either to move to that position. the trend for big safeties to now become backers is not far fetched anymore. white plays a lot as a blitzer off the edge and near the LOS and yet can go out and cover the slot or TE's too. warner is extremely versatile and could easily make the move. he led byu in tackles last year and had 6 interceptions and forced two fumbles. he's a pretty active guy for them. both of these guys are near the top of my list as prospects for the spot. check them out when you get the chance. :cool:

24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    1. ILB-Need another Shazier
    2. FS- Need a ball hawk
    3. TE- Need that vertical threat
    4. WR-Need to refill the cupboard
    5. CB-Haden will be good for another year at least. Sutton and Allen waiting in the wings
    6. WR-Need to refill the cupboard
    7. OLB-Project
    8. OL-Project

25. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Some of you read my mind about Ryan Shazier. We need to draft and develop a quick, but effective linebacker. Having the speed and awareness at that position will obviously help us out in the long run.