1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BigBen First Ballot HOF question/debate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 22, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is a common misconception by a lot of people. I always wondered how it got started. I'm only saying that because I have heard that a lot. No....they drafted Rivers before Brees got injured.

2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There is no question or debate

1st ballot

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Debate? First ballot, period.

Blame who you want for the years of little playoff success but Ben wasn't getting shelled for 40 plus. The defense took a huge step down after the players who made it great started leaving. And were not replaced with the same talent level sans a few. That's on the front office and coach. A coach who's forte is defense. They stocked up on weapons and neglected the defense. Finally i feel the tables are turning in the direction of a dominate defense again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the incite.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    One more record for Ben, no other NFL player has ever played as long as he has (18 years) and has never been on a team with a losing record. What about Brady? The Pats went 5-11 his rookie year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You left out the rape accusation and a lot of ugliness about that night.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    No… Ben is a guaranteed first ballot into HOF.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    How are you comparing Eli n Ben? Wow, ok he beat Pats twice in SB, other than that very average at best. Next thing your gonna say is Eli better than Marino!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Manning didn't beat the Patriots. His team beat them, mostly the defense. Giving him MVP in the first of those two victories was a joke.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As fans we want them gone when the prime production is over. They have to know when their skills are leaving them. Hell, we all do. I wondered why do they stay?? Shouldn't be a money issue for most. I'm thinking it's an ego thing??

12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I wonder about Plunkett to. Can't call him a franchise QB since I think he played on 3-4 teams. He played for Pats so the hell with him, just kidding. I always liked the guy but I recall some minor talk back in the day about prejudice voters keeping him out of the HOF. How true, zero clue. I know he was a SB MVP and a ROTY but not sure his numbers were HOF.

13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Little funny. Ben's 500 yards passing game results. We smoked the Colts with one. Two of them we won by 1 single point. (2017 Ravens game IMO one of greatest Steeler games ever) And, wait for it, in the other one the Cleveland Browns whipped our ass.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    As the late great Johnny Carson would say, "I did not know that."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Brady had also a losing record last year

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I had forgotten about that because they made the playoffs. Brady came into the league with a losing record and left with a losing record but he did a whole lot of winning in between.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So Brees gets credit for all 5 of His 5000 yard seasons, but 2 were losing seasons, and one was 8-8. So....:shrug:

18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    @Wardismvp , why is this hilarious?

19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Please, as I told you before, do not make me come to Razorback land and have to beat you up;) Now put your little razorback horned thinking hat on that I just know you own, probably two of them and think irony.

I'm not talking about getting credit. If you told people that your teams QB had a 500 passing yard day, majority would assume your team kicked ass. That was my point. So I say right back to guitar playing butt: :shrug:

You know you keep this up don't be surprised if your out for a family drive and a big ass log blocks your path.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would just drive over, or around it. LoL, and it's Tusks My Friend.....not horns.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I expect Ben to get in on the first ballot. There is no doubt he is a HOF player

If there is any doubt among voters about putting him in first time it’ll be that he played in a golden era of QBs with Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers who are recognised as among the best ever. Drew Brees also to a lesser extent. Ben was never a league MVP but was consistently in the top 5 QB’s in the league.

That said he has three appearances and two Super Bowl rings and is top 5-10 all-time in virtually every statistical category that matters. That is a first ballot HOF career IMO.

When Brady initially retired during the same offseason as Ben I thought that they wouldn’t want a second QB going in first ballot with Tom Brady and that Ben might miss out, or at the very least that he’d be an afterthought at the HOF ceremony. Brady’s career is a wild outlier and any QB that is compared to him and his success in the NFL simply can’t match up. Thankfully TB came out of retirement to play another year so it wasn’t an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Smart move. Those dumbasses in the show should have thought of that:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1