1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Dec 23, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ben played his arse off tonight. I really hope he sticks around for next season. The guy is still one of the greatest. If this team can get some better game management next season, the window is still open.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah but he needs to work on his timing with his receivers, because alot of balls were out of reach that could have produced points!!

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This is one of the most complete road games I’ve ever seen Ben play. Even Tony Romo commented how great he played. Tony is also right that it will get lost in the shuffle because it’s a loss.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yea man, Ben was in a zone today. One of his best games this year.

5. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Too bad it didn't matter. This team is incapable of putting a complete game together more than once or twice a year.

6. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Aside from the Panthers blowout, I think this was the most complete game they've played the entire year. Minus the head-scratching calls and blown coverages/lack of adjustment to big plays, of course.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    We all should hope like hell Ben comes back. He will be difficult to replace. When I get frustrated with Ben, I think of Super Bowl 43. Our legendary defense let Fitz split us down the middle and left Ben too much time....especially with a holding penalty to boot on 1st down. Ben made so many plays and bought time for guys to get open. Enjoy the time we have left with Big Ben. I am not exactly sold on our future with Rudolph or Dobbs. It will be a generation before we see his likes again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Yea OK st is not known for its QB's look at the great one that's playing for the Bengals right now :facepalm:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben has another year in him. The ugly interceptions will happen more frequently but he will still win them more games than he will lose them.

He still makes passes that are so good they are eye popping.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    On a bright note, dude needs 158 yards for 5k on the season. And he broke his own single-season TD record.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    It just goes to prove that it's always something this year. What bothers me more than anything is that two games this year were directly influenced by officiating. It's easy to say you have to overcome it, but when those decisions directly give away points like against LAC or extend a game that should have ended like tonight, I don't know how you over come it. Tomlin didn't help matters and ball security continues to be a problem, but I've only ever seen three games in my whole life where officiating was as directly responsible for the outcome of games until this season where it happened twice to just our team.

12. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    The LAC game... meh. I'm in the boat where "you don't put yourself in position to lose due to a bad call". We dominated that game for nearly 45 mins, then fell asleep as Rivers picked us apart. We put ourselves in that position.

This game... sigh. So many bad/missed calls that it was enough to make even the non-believers raise an eyebrow. But the fumbles ultimately cost us. Had JuJu just gone down, we were in perfect position to run another 2 plays and kick the game-winner.

Let's also not forget the joke of a FG that we allowed at the end of the 1st half. Talk about a game-killer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    We need a defense period. It’s always the offense putting up big numbers just for the defense to give it right backup. I like Tomlin, but he’s had a ton of talent and really hasn’t done that much with it.

Yes we’ve had some really good regular season records, but it never turns into a SB appearance or win. I don’t think Tomlin should be fired, but he absolutely has to tighten things up. We’ve been saying this for a long long time though and it gets worse every year. So I honestly don’t know what to say anymore. I will say we’re way to talented to be 8-6-1. The lowly Titans are going to have a better record than us.

We need someone who can pick good defensive players. Such as a good cornerback or two or three! Edmonds who we picked last year. We could of gotten in the second maybe third round. Anyway a lot needs to change, but how long have we been saying that? Years.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    10 years at least and same old sh!t. Tomlin needs to be gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Ya I agree. I know I said I don’t think he should be fired, but I’m just thinking he’s never had a losing season. That said he’s had a megaton of talent and hasn’t won a SB with his guys. 2008 all Cowher’s players and 2010 half Cowher’s players and half Tomlin’s.

He’s a really good wordsmith. He can give a good post game presser. Your right it’s the same old crap every year. Wasting talent every year. Who would we look at to replace him?

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol tomlin was thumping his chest again during the game

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    If not having a losing season is the goal, then the bar is too low. Over the past 10 seasons, we are looking at 4 not making playoffs at all and 3 others going 1 and done. Maybe that is OK in Cincy or KC but just doesn't meet expectations here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Ya he does that he’s a very emotional coach. If he’s fired who do we go after?

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Marvin Lewis.

Joking aside I felt like we were the bengals this season

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Ya I agree with that. This is Pittsburgh or Title Town. That said they WON’T fire him for many reasons and what I said about never having a losing season will be a huge one. Never mind the players love him, because he lets them do whatever they want.

I’m just tired of the defense being just terrible every year. It’s supposed to get better not regress. I just don’t understand how he whiffs on CB’s every year for at least 6-8 years. I can’t name any of the corners they’ve drafted that are any good. We should go get one in free agency but the Steelers don’t do that. Use the money they saved by not paying Bell and go get a good corner or safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. More Balti

More Balti Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Someone tell me why Tomlin is the problem. I just don't get it.

Ben's awesome.

22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe take a flyer on Matt Lafleur or Defilippo? We definitely need a new DC too.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This team doesn't even get a whiff of the playoffs without Roethlisberger. Sure, this season has been gut-wrenching, but the Steelers have been in every game and Roethlisberger is the primary reason for that.

He was fantastic today. Sure, he had a bit of a rough start, but the Saints stopped him exactly once from the start of that 97-yard touchdown drive to the end of the game. Even that stop was mostly due to an egregious whiff in pass by Samuels in pass protection. You certainly can't count the fumbles by Smith-Schuster and Ridley against him. In fact, the worst coaching decision of the day by the Steelers was failing to put the ball in Roethlisberger's hands on the third-and-two, when they ran Ridley. Given how well the Saints defend the run and the way Roethlisberger was throwing the ball, it was a mind-blowingly stupid decision.

• Agree Agree x 6
  24. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    I think we need a new DC before we fire Tomlin. How in the world Keith Butler still has a job is beyond me. Every single year for the past 5 to 6 years maybe even 7 our defense is just been terrible especially the secondary. Our offense is good to great but they can’t win every game. Every time we get a lead it seems like the defense just lets them come back.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The thing I like about the Rooneys is that they will have a legit interview process, and they will not be rushed. The Steelers will go into the process with no preconceived notion of who they will hire. They will interview candidates and pick the guy who actually wins the job.

I doubt Tomlin will be fired, but if he is I have faith in the Rooneys to pick the right guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1