1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben: Talk with Haley 'really good'

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As if a first conversation would go any other way. Ben's excuse was kind of weak though, didn't know what the rules were, ya could have asked someone Ben :lolol: Not that I felt Ben had to be the one to initiate contact, I knew Haley would get to Ben all in good time. I like how Douchette tries to stir the pot one more time with his opening paragraph though. Sorry Ed, no drama to report here.

Sorry, link helps! Here it is:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12062/1213923-66.stm

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Article? I want to read it.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah after reading it I was like seriously Ben are you trying to Magoo your way out of this? I sorry but when you have been in the league as long as he has you should know the rules on contact. Pretty sure it is covered in numerous league briefings if not the PA's as well. I do agree no drama and Ed was making a story out of a one paragraph qoute.

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Must have been a slow news day in Pittsburgh.

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I just hope Haley lets Ben do his thing

6. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    It is true that Haley had no right to compel Ben to meet with him. The new CBA forbids required meetings between coaches and players other than the OTAs. I haven't read the article yet, but the meeting would have had to be initiated by Ben.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why even have coaches then stinky?

8. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Until Ben's thing gets us in the endzone more often he should do what his new coach tells him. It's up to the coach to use the QB's talent properly if he can't he gets replaced (See Bruce Arians).

9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben's thing revolves around rarely ever running the ball, never passing to the wide open RB's, rarely ever passing to the wide open TE, take sacks rather than throw it away even when in FG territory, and throw it 50 yards down field as often as possible.

No thanks, I would rather Haley run things.

10. bigdaddyK

bigdaddyK Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2012
    You also forget 2 sb rings and a 3rd appereance. Haley gets run out of every job he is giving. I do think Ben should play more like Tennese and New England game.

11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I must have missed where Ben won those 2 SB's without a team around him or coaches on the sidelines. The fact is, Ben is an idiot and if it was up to him, he'd throw deep all game long. The guy isn't known for his brains. Haley is considered an offensive genius by many around the league, including Bill Belichek. I have no doubt that if Ben and Haley get on the same page, our offense will be significantly better this upcoming season.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The coaches weren't on the field orchestrating one of the best SB winning drives in history either. Fact of the matter it, Steelers didn't win crap for 25 years before he showed up. The defense on those 90's teams were devastating, much better then the D that Ben won with, so why no SB rings then? Yes, Ben can play better and hopefully Haley brings his game to a higher level but I am so sick of people trying to act like Ben wasn't the most important reason why they started winning SB's again.

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben was definitely not the most important reason we won the SB in 2008, the defence was. Without the defence that year (which was better than anything we had in the 90's), we don't even make the playoffs. With that said, i didn't claim Ben wasn't responsible for the 2 SB wins, I was just pointing out that he didn't do it alone. I don't want Ben "doing his thing," I want him running the system that Haley designs. Ben is the player, Haley is the coach and game planner. Not sure why people on this site think Ben should be able to do whatever he pleases just because we've had success in the past.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben was definitely not the most important reason we won the SB in 2008, the defence was. Without the defence that year (which was better than anything we had in the 90's), we don't even make the playoffs. With that said, i didn't claim Ben wasn't responsible for the 2 SB wins, I was just pointing out that he didn't do it alone. I don't want Ben "doing his thing," I want him running the system that Haley designs. Ben is the player, Haley is the coach and game planner. Not sure why people on this site think Ben should be able to do whatever he pleases just because we've had success in the past.[/quote:3cayeozh]

I don't think Ben should be able to do whatever he pleases, I just recognize that he is the most important reason why we have started winning SB's. Also, not a chance in the world 2008 defense was better then their defenses in the 90's. How old are you? Not an attack, just think you must not have been around for you to make a statement like that. Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Kevin Green, Chad Brown, Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Jason Gildon. Absolutley kills 2008 defense, really not even debatable.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Without Ben, I held out through the 80's, grasping @ quarterback straws while people laughed.

With Ben, 3 SB's later and now I'm laughing and enjoying the ride...

16. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben was definitely not the most important reason we won the SB in 2008, the defence was. Without the defence that year (which was better than anything we had in the 90's), we don't even make the playoffs. With that said, i didn't claim Ben wasn't responsible for the 2 SB wins, I was just pointing out that he didn't do it alone. I don't want Ben "doing his thing," I want him running the system that Haley designs. Ben is the player, Haley is the coach and game planner. Not sure why people on this site think Ben should be able to do whatever he pleases just because we've had success in the past.[/quote:2xx8n9tc]

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. Who wants Ben doing his own thing like he has for all the years of Bruce Arians. Thats why Arians is gone and Haley is here. The Rooneys got tired of seeing Ben do his thing under Arians. Now its time for Ben to do it Haley's way. I see the offense being much better under Haley. As far as the Super Bowls are concerned, yes they won and Ben was only real good in the come back win over the Cardinals during that last drive and the completion to Holmes. The other two games he was just average, a game manager, thats why he wasn't the MVP. Look at Eli Manning, he was the MVP because he got it done all game long. Look at the debate about Ben vs Bradshaw, Terry got it done with his great games and was the MVP. Ben will have to get it done in future Super Bowl games, if they even make it their again with Ben, who knows! Right now, there are to many if's and questions as to if they will make it to another Super Bowl during the rest of Ben's career, the jury is out.

The Rooney's are setting it up for another chance at a Super Bowl run with their request that Ben tweaks his game by not getting sacked so much, and the hiring of Haley. Now it's up to Ben to do it Haley's way and get it done. The clock is ticking and the ball is in Ben's court, what is he going to do, Dribble or Shoot?

17. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Ben was definitely not the most important reason we won the SB in 2008, the defence was. Without the defence that year (which was better than anything we had in the 90's), we don't even make the playoffs. With that said, i didn't claim Ben wasn't responsible for the 2 SB wins, I was just pointing out that he didn't do it alone. I don't want Ben "doing his thing," I want him running the system that Haley designs. Ben is the player, Haley is the coach and game planner. Not sure why people on this site think Ben should be able to do whatever he pleases just because we've had success in the past.[/quote:1rbknbni]

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. Who wants Ben doing his own thing like he has for all the years of Bruce Arians. Thats why Arians is gone and Haley is here. The Rooneys got tired of seeing Ben do his thing under Arians. Now its time for Ben to do it Haley's way. I see the offense being much better under Haley. As far as the Super Bowls are concerned, yes they won and Ben was only real good in the come back win over the Cardinals during that last drive and the completion to Holmes. The other two games he was just average, a game manager, thats why he wasn't the MVP. Look at Eli Manning, he was the MVP because he got it done all game long. Look at the debate about Ben vs Bradshaw, Terry got it done with his great games and was the MVP. Ben will have to get it done in future Super Bowl games, if they even make it their again with Ben, who knows! Right now, there are to many if's and questions as to if they will make it to another Super Bowl during the rest of Ben's career, the jury is out.

The Rooney's are setting it up for another chance at a Super Bowl run with their request that Ben tweaks his game by not getting sacked so much, and the hiring of Haley. Now it's up to Ben to do it Haley's way and get it done. The clock is ticking and the ball is in Ben's court, what is he going to do, Dribble or Shoot?[/quote:1rbknbni]

I disagree with pretty much your whole 1st paragraph other than the opening sentence about the Rooneys growing tired of BenArians offensive show - your second paragraph is dead on.

The way I look at that Arizona SB is Ben was mightily handcuffed by his obtuse OC. Trying to ram the ball in off tackle when they had had troubles doing it all season on the 1st drive was moronic - but that's Arians for you always willing to try to pound the square peg in the round hole. Ben had a good 1st half except for the pick which was a tipped ball. As far as the 2nd half, Arians goes run crazy and Willie Parker picks up like 30 yards on 13 carries....mind you the AZ defense was crowding the line and playing the run. So with 2.5 minutes left Roethlisberger plays his Houdini act for like the 5th time during the season, pretty much goes no huddle, overcomes an initial holding call and methodically drives the team 92 yards for a winning TD. And was Eli a superhero? - his 1st SB he had a QB rating lower than Roethlisberger and won MVP...but because his last name is Manning he got the MVP when an objective analysis would conclude that Strahan and Tuck deserved it. The guy also almost threw a couple of gift wrapped picks that were dropped. The storyline of that game was the Giants defense rattling the Patriots high octane offense....the Giants offense put up a whopping 17 points in the game. I'll give you Manning was highly deserving of the MVP this past SB - mind you against an attrocious defense, probably worse than the one the Steelers faced in the Cardinals.

The jury is out on whether Ben will get to another SB because the team is going to go through a major shift in personnel. Who knows how it will work out. The point made by many here is that Ben has been a huge difference maker in turning this team from a very good team to a team that most people year in year out consider to be a lock for being a SB contender....doesn't mean he is the only reason - but he is QB who has an "IT" factor. Yes we've had an outstanding defense...but the Patriots have also had an outstanding offensive line, the Giants have had the best pass rush in football, the Packers have had the best collection of WR. Any team with a good QB has other facets that make them good.

I couldn't agree with you more about the Haley "tweaking" things. That is what Ben and this offense really needs...a guy who can hopefully create matchups especially in the red zone that favor the Steelers, a guy who actually make short yardage plays like screens (and I don't mean alley screens, but a well crafted RB screen) and boots to keep the defense on its heels. And I do feel Ben is going to have to adapt because I know he liked Arians loosey/goosey play calling style - hopefully he will mature and adapt because he likely cannot be the same sandlot QB he has been.

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope that Haley comes in and is everything everyone wants him to be and I hope that Big Ben ups his game. Having said that, I must have missed the the Superbowl Championships that Haley has won "single-handedly". As far as crediting Ben's Superbowl wins as a "team" effort, can't that be said of every Superbowl every played. I've been around a few years and have yet to see one player, or coach, win all by his lonesome. Does that make all the players that had a great effort but didn't get an MVP an idiot who isn't know for his brains. If you are going to tell me that Santonio Holmes is Rhodes Scholar because he won the MVP then I seriously question your thought process... oh yeah, no offense!

19. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Personally, I would have preferred if Ben told the truth. "I didn't return Haley's call right away because I was still -------- off about them getting rid of Bruce and everyone I have talked to says Haley is an a--hole. But the Rooneys sign my check, so if they want me to do what that a--hole wants, then thats what I'll do and if it doesn't work then thats on him." Honesty is the best policy :D

20. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think anyone said Haley won a SB by himself, or at all. I know I didn't. Nor did I say that a SB MVP counts for anything more than being MVP of the SB. I don't know where this SB MVP stuff even came from. I could care less if Ben is SB MVP or not, as long as we win. I agree that no one player can win a SB by themselves. This isn't basketball or hockey, it's just not possible to win it all by yourself.