1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben pocket passer

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Oct 30, 2017.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but Collinsworth mentioned something last night how Big Ben hasn't been the QB who used to create more time by running out of the pocket and avoiding defenders.
    Has Ben become a purely pocket passer? has that been the problem this season? Is he too old and slow to be his old self? But what Collinsworth said seems very true. I haven't seen the old Ben running around defenders to buy more time. He just seem to stay in the pocket. Or maybe our OL is so good that defenders can't get to him? His sacks are down from those old days.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I think it's a combination of his physical skills deteriorating and the line being significantly better.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Eventually all horse get put out to pasture... He ain't don't yet. If he embraces some of the set backs and plans it it out to address that he could be pretty good for a couple more runs IMO.

4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    You may be forgetting:

1. They want him to run around far less to avoid injuries.
    2. He used to HAVE to run around, for his life. A lot of those OL were pretty terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He's been sacked 10 times in 8 games.

He was sacked only 17 times last season. He did only play in 14 games last season..

I say he's on par with last year. Line is doing a good job of protection no doubt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is at his best playing 'playground football' but that sort of game can be akin to jogging through a minefield, especially at his age.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    1) He's no young kid anymore, hes an old 35 in football years, lot of mileage on that body.
    2) He's not running around the same reason he has trouble stepping into his throws, bum knee.
    3) He rarely ever has to with a much better line in front of him then when he used to have to run for his life every play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    The 2 throws that made me the maddest last night were the one he missed to James...1 play before the 97 yarder , and the one he tried to throw through the Lion D lineman. He gets a little lazy with his feet sometimes. He's surely mobile enough to slide to find a throwing lane I hope.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    His body has broken down, affecting his mechanics. OL must protect at all times.

Ben is unable to avoid a pass rush.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's a lot to do with Haley too, they brought him over to protect Ben. He turned Ben into a pocket passer. If this is Ben's final season he should go all out and go back to backyard football. It used to give team fits they used to design their D just to keep Ben in the pocket. But if his knees are hurting then they have no choice.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Have you not seen Ben move? He's not very athletic anymore. He can't play that style at this point in his career. He needs to stand in the pocket and throw darts, it's his only choice. Every time he moves he looks like he's 50, not 35

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Chris Collinsworthless hates the STEELERS and it really showed when he first became an announcer.
    I think that age has caught up to Ben and it is like a learning process for him.

13. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Another thing I think has changed is he no longer seems to pump fake. He was a master at this, and I think contributed to the success of his long bomb - it froze some defenders. I haven't seen him do this recently, and the ball seems to slip from his hand occasionally. He threw a couple balls into the ground last week and others sail high. I wonder if he has lost some hand strength or it is injured. He has whacked it a lot on helmets. Just speculation, but there are symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good point, I hadn’t noticed that but I think you’re right there’s been less pump faking.

Having said that, he could pump fake way too much in the past...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is 2015 Peyton without the presnap awareness or forehead lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I'll still take Ben over any other QB right now. He's more than earned his right to be here and I guarantee you that at least 20 other teams would snap him up in a heartbeat right now.

I'm not wearing black and gold colored glasses I'm being a realist. I've seen the under and over thrown passes. I've seen the misreads and I've seen him trying to force the ball to a well covered AB when other WRs or the check down is open.

I've seen all of that and I still know that a diminished Ben is still better than most other QBs in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    sorry had to see what that would look like

upload_2017-11-1_9-59-26.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

Son?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

on this team or the league? ,, if it' the league just say no to drugs there's at least 5 QB's that I would rather have than this leftover. Russell Wilson being at the top

20. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    On this team of course. And if you're serious about Ben being a "leftover" then you're the one that needs to put the pipe down bud.

22. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    In the early years, his passer rating was much better when he was under duress. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that side of Ben in a while.

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    yeah cus Ben's throws are still crisp, ( within 10 yards) he can still run around to buy time for the receivers, and avoid getting sacked. My Bad!

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think part of the problem was Haley requires Ben to think. I have not seen that to be his strong point. That is where he lacks Brady, et al.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    exactly.. Ben is like Trump,, he reacts before he thinks. You see it on his face all the time, saying to himself. " Why do I keep throwing the dumb balls, Brown had 4 guys covering him, when I had Bell , James, Rogers, or Ju Ju wide open , all I have to do is take a quick peek around?!"

• Informative Informative x 1