1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben only has 2-3 years left of being in his prime

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 4, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This is a big offseason for Colbert to acquire more help for the defense if the Steelers are going to win a SB before Ben retires. Colbert nailed it in last years draft, getting 3 starters on defense he needs to get at least 2 players on defense who can contribute next season IMO.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we may need to break tradition in free agency as well and make a couple of splash defensive signings, an edge rusher and a defensive back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I agree. Probably be a defensive draft again, first 3 prospects they have met with so far have all been defense.

Hope so, they should. Although probably only one. They have extra cap space but AB and Bell will eat up a lot of it, even if they just franchise Bell it will be around 12 million.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not trying to be negative but Ben may already be past his prime. As such, he is still probably top 10.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes and yes

6. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    And if the starters who spent most of the year on IR pan out, we could make leaps and bounds in defensive ranking.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I swear I've seen this thread every year for the last five seasons.

That said, the team is absolutely poised for a super bowl now. One or two more pieces and we could be awesome next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree, watch closely folks. The end is near.

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If Ben is in his prime he needs to play better on a more consistent basis. The Steelers will still need improve the pass rush regardless if Ben is past his prime or not. Ben's struggles from week to week or on the road were a big issue and for the team this past season. The team can still win with Ben as the QB.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben is on his last leg, no pun intended ..He may play 1 more season and that't it..KC is about 5 years to late working on the Defense ...We should have been going heavy on DB'S and making moves trading doing whatever we could to get real talent..

Unless another Team beats the Pats for us Ben has no shot of winning another Superbowl ...We are missing at least 4 pcs. on Defense and KC is not aggressive enough to get the right ones ..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, if there is ever a year to dip into free agency, its this year. We just can't get enough of what we need solely on the draft. Along with we only have 1 or 2 year window left with Ben. The team needs to go "ALL IN" if we are serious about any super bowl. Even if we do that, I have concerns about our coaching staff getting us there, but we have to at least have the players. We are too close to not try free agency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I've seen this every year for the last 5 seasons :D

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol, touché.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    On a positive note, we are lucky to be able to have this thread every year. The Browns don't have this luxury.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He didn't have Bryant all season, and Green only played like 5 games. The only reliable WRs were AB and Eli.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They will get their edge rusher and defensive back in the draft, getting them in FA would take up most up their cap space. Most of their money will go to AB, Bell and maybe giving Tuitt a extension and picking up Shazier's 5th yr option.

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ben is past his prime

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    a Ben in his prime thread? ok I'm ready

popcorn2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben's under contract through 2019 it seems. I agree that physically he's past his prime. He can't run like he used to. As for passing, I think we still have one of the best in the NFL. I still like #7 under center for the next couple years.

We can't deny though the guy though is looking stiff out there. My brother was joking that we need to start getting the oil in reference to the tin man in the wizard of oz. He's right though. Ben's at a greater risk when he gets hit because he's pretty rigid. Kind of reminds me of Dan Marino late in his career.

With all that said, I still love Big Ben as the Steelers QB for the next two years. It would be wise to be on the radar for a good QB in the draft though. I don't think we need to be spending a first rounder, especially this year which from what I've heard isn't that strong of a QB class.

Glad we have Big Ben behind center still. Threw two huge perfect passes that were dropped in the championship game. I do not blame him at all for the loss. In the end, it's a team effort.

20. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Here is a post made by a person at the SteelerFury message board that sums up Ben's career so far perfectly.

"You won't find one former player, quarterback, coach, or GM that would even come in the same universe of agreeing with that. Pure biased lunacy.

There is no argument whatsoever that Ben is a better QB than Manning and Brady. The guy has never sniffed an All Pro team or legit MVP conversation over those guys for a reason: he's not as good as them. And your argument that he could excel anywhere is based on what exactly? The fact is he was drafted to one of the best and most stable sports organizations of all time and spent the prime of his career making his reputation on winning games playing with the best defense in the league. The guy won a f'n SB completing 9 passes and we praise him for short runs for first downs and his blocking. [​IMG] Drew Brees lost a playoff game completing 40 passes for 462 yards and 4 TDs. Aaron Rodgers lost a playoff game throwing for over 400 yards and 5 total TDs. Poor Ben. So held back. [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I've watched every game the guy has played and love his style of play. But there's a clear upper echelon of quarterbacking that he'll never touch. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and Brees are next level in terms of their overall play, they're consistency, their execution, their ability to score and lead high powered offenses. Ben has flashes of brilliance but is WAY too inconsistent and turnover prone to be in their conversation."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    There's evidence he's already in a decline. No way this Ben is "more solid" than the Ben in the late 2000's SB runs. I think it's more of this Haley gimmick, stat grabbing offense that's on the radar. Not a championship unit

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The truth hurts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are done for a while, IMO. Ben will manage some 9-7 seasons, at best, from here on out... maybe get a 6th seed wildcard game. I doubt the Steelers will do much more while he is QB. And then it's back to Malone-Brister-Stewart mode for about a decade. Steelers have no future champions on the roster... just enough to win a few games here and there. There are no Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, Ike Taylor-caliber players like the days of years past.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben to me does not look happy. As far as getting more D. Players, that is fine but if not coached correctly your wasting their talent.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Forget winning a superbowl with Ben again, if he comes back this year it will probably be his last and he just doesnt have that passion he once had, and as usual we will have more injuries with key guys out off and on, two guys gay and mitchell in the secondary again stinking up the field, no way in 2017 will this team make it to the superbowl without a coaching and player shake up this off season and now that Ben is a patriot fan dont even talk about playing them in the post season and getting a win, you all think Ben is the answer to get to number 7 but he isnt the answer....

• Disagree Disagree x 1