1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben may miss a game this year.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Sep 6, 2012.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I give him mad props for that and anybody that has an issue with it is a certified jagoff

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have no problem with that. IMO, family comes first. One game should not affect our ability to win games. Obviously I would prefer him to miss none, but sometimes you just can't control that.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm a bigger fan of being a Dad than I am being a fan of the Steelers. I don't blame him one bit. I'm having more and more respect for Ben, guy has totaled changed over the last few years.

5. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Football is Ben's job and I know if I was having a child, there is no way I'd go to work and miss my child's birth. It's a once in a lifetime experience. Could never ever hold that against anyone no matter if they are the starting QB for an NFL team or the President of the U.S.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hey now, i'm thinking there's enough money out there that they could set up a birthing room somewhere in the stadium and make this thing happen at halftime. :stogie:

we could set up one of those cameras on the wires and get some great shots on the jumbotron. :shrug: :cool:

7. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I was glad to be there when my daughter was born, but I really wish I din't see what I did, I should have just wanted another second and had the doctor hand her to me, I wouldn't have wanted to see it on the Jumbotron. :frustrated:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if they could only make tires out of it. :cool:

9. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I take offense to the journalist who said that many of his fans wouldn't like it that he would attend the birth of his child over playing the Ravens. That is utter nonsense.

Any man who has had the privilege of being at the birth of his child knows how special and unique that time is. There will always be another football game - but he never knows if there will be another child. Any man who - for whatever reason - had to MISS the birth of his child knows the kind of regret that accompanies that.

Here's hoping for a happy, healthy birth for the new little Roethlisberger - and that maybe, just maybe - it won't happen on a Sunday.

10. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I respect his decision compltely, as everyone should. I am expecting my first child the first week of february and there is nothing that could keep me from being there for that. Some things are just more important in life!!!!

11. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think the Journalist said that, I believe Ben himself said that. That some fans won't be happy if he misses a game to see the birth of his child.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on MD, you know damn well that there are fans out there who will have a problem with this, especially if it ends up being the Ravens game and heaven forbid, they lose and Ben isn't there. The rational fan will understand this, the ******* fan will not. Shouldn't come to that though,the odds are in his and our favor that his boy will come into the world on one of the other 6 days :thumbs_up:

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Who says this baby will be born on Sunday, there are 6 other days in a week it can be born on: Missing one day of practice is no big deal, so dont count on a Sunday birth day, the odds are 6 to 1 the kid is not going to be born on a Sunday...

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Wouldn't blame him one bit.

In fact, I'd probably be disappointed in him if he did otherwise. Of course, circumstances could happen where he'd be away and maybe not make it in time. But I'm sure it would be hard to make him miss it intentionally.

15. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wonder what the chances of inducing labor mid-week, when she is in the final week.

16. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    T_E - I don't disagree that there will be SOME fans who are idiots - and who would think that the game comes before the child. However, the writer seems to suggest that MOST of Steeler Nation will be upset if that's what happens.

What's going to piss me off is that IF it would happen on a Sunday, the haters will be saying that the only reason Ben is there is to continue to clean up his image. Living in Cleveland, all I hear from Stains fans when Ben does something good is that it's all for PR and to improve his "image". There's no such thing as learning from a mistake and becoming a better, stronger person because of it.

Ben has obviously grown up a LOT in the past couple of years, and it has been great to watch that process.

By the way - this will probably all be moot, since as a lot have pointed out, there is only a 14.3% chance that the baby would be born on Sunday.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    There's a good chance they could try it. But that's assuming a lot. It's just as likely she'll go into labor a week or 3 early. These things can never be predicted.

18. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Your more than likely correct, but you never know. :dancing:

19. Tarrytown Steeler

Tarrytown Steeler Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This is just like reading a defense.

If it looks like the delivery is going to fall on a Sunday, Ben needs to call an audible---and book the C-Section on Friday.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

there is a much greater power to help ben decide. his wife. i couldn't imagine having to deal with my wife having a baby while i went out to play football. his life would never be the same. :club: :huh: :worried: :darkness: :cool:

21. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I guess I'm a certified jagoff. Bens wife should have induced labor during the bye week no matter when it falls during the trimester.

J/K.

I agree fully with him taking the time off to see his child being born.

22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually I think there is a very good chance of that. I have had a bunch of friends with babies lately and the vast majority are induced c-section births. Supposedly hospitals prefer it for safety AND scheduling purposes. They push for it.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a fan who wouldn't be sympathetic to this. No difference in peoples understanding of the death of a loved one. It sounds like reverse hatred and preventative defence (pun intended) to create some huge minority of the fan base who MIGHT not be able to put life in perspective.

23. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My son is going to be born any day now, and I'll be out of this office so fast and home for a week it will make your head spin :p :clapping:

24. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There's nothing safer about a C-section. Quite the opposite, I believe. But I don't know if there are any health risks when it comes to inducing. I didn't think there were. After all, I was induced myself, and I turned out turned out.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Right, they're not "safer". There's more risk involved, and the recovery time is much greater. It may be based on hospital policy. Around here, it's pretty difficult to get one unless it's deemed medically necessary. The last part is just my opinion based on our personal experiences and experience of friends and family.

I'm not one of the fans that would be bothered by a game being missed for that event. Has anyone heard a due date estimation? I haven't, but I think they announced it back in June.

Well, I wasn't, and I turned out fine turned out fine turned out fine.