1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben is a Backup

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Oct 18, 2021.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    When Mason and Duck shared starting duties the season Ben was hurt, they were only asked to be game managers. He was too restricted with an occasional aggressive play call. When Mason started against the Browns last season, he did ball out and just about won that game. Ben started the following week and struggled mightily. I said it last year and people blasted me for this, but Ben was not playing well last season and we were 11-0 because of our defense. The issue Mason had going against him was it was the first year without Antonio, JuJu was playing hurt and we had rookie receivers that were not ready to step up. I do believe if Mason started right now, he may give us an edge that Ben no longer has. I'm not saying he will step in and be Tom Brady, but he will have more accuracy downfield that Ben no longer has. IMO Ben will play and not be honest about his injuries, because he is already being blasted for being a shell of his former self. He is afraid if Mason steps in there would be a potential QB controversy.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe they don't feel the need to get you involved with their short or long term planning. Is that possible?

• Like Like x 3
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So You didn't watch football last year??? :shrug:

4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    credibility lost

cringe personified

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

Thanks for that incredible insight! I mean what was I thinking by posting my thoughts an opinions in a public discussion forum?! Crazy stupid me!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I watched it and could see Ben was no longer himself. His elbow injury was more than he will ever admit. He survived on short passes for the first 11 games, a large number of 3 and outs giving our opponent an edge in time possession from about Week 8 forward with the exception of a few games. Teams were loading the box as if they were playing run defense because all Ben's short passes were equivalent to a running play. They were daring him to throw long, they were not afraid of it. Yes, I will go along with Tomlin's statement of "We don't win games on style points." So again, I watched the games, but I was able to face reality. Defense wins championships, but you have to have formidable offense for balance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He threw 37 TDs lasts Year I think 6th in the league. So I don't understand. Miami forced more turnovers. Buffalo, N.O. one less turnovers forced, Tampa 2 less turnovers forced. I could go on....So all those Qb TD don't count either????

9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Where exactly was it said that posting your thoughts here was wrong?

• Like Like x 1