1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben has ruined the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-jan-16-sp-adande16-story.html

Ben may have his faults but he always points the finger at himself for losses. For years he got his ass beaten by pass rushes and never complained about his line.

Ben and AB played together for like 8 years, I’d say he did a pretty good job pacifying AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He gave a pretty broad statement about the oline. Didnt say if it was the coaching or players themselves he said we had protection problems. He didnt directly attack someone or blame someone. Ben literally pointed the finger directly at a wr and said this int is purely your fault because you ran the route wrong.Thats entirely different than what manning just did. And again on top of that Ben has all these former players calling him out. It's a long list. Manning doesn't have that. A guy who played with Ben referred to manning as a better leader soon as he played with him and after and this was someone who doesn't have the mental capacity you like to critique.

3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And even then hw didn't directly say the oline played like **** and its their fault. He said he ha dproblems upfront. It was a broad statement. Couldve been talking about the protection calls. He could've been talking about the gameplan. The coaching of the oline itself or the oline. It didn't directly point blame at anyone. It left it up for interpretation. Ben DIRECTLY blamed a wr for why he threw a int. Directly blamed Haley for things. Tomlin even who's one of his biggest supporters and to top it off he has a long list of former players calling him out for his leadership. Manning doesn't have any of that.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not what Jeff Saturday said

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'd argue that Mike Tomlin ruined the Steelers a lot more than Ben ever did. In the process Ben became complacent and was able to change the coaching staff and personnel around him. Tomlin should have nipped that in the bud straight away but he was probably way too tickled pink that he even won a Lombardi to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep telling yourself that. He even prefaced it by saying “I’m trying to be a good teammate here”.

Anyone without an agenda knows he threw them under the bus and he was criticized for it back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I wanted to talk about Rooney's comments on Ben and his contract but the thread is gone so I guess the mods didn't like it

8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    That says more about Ben than Tomlin. When you are paid $100m to be the captain of the ship, you don’t get complacent. If one is to fault Tomlin for anything it’s him trusting his franchise QB to have the proper mindset needed to win.

9. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I can't say that Ben ruined the Steelers. Not sure how that statement has any traction. Ben gave us many years of excitement and winning and spoiling us as fans. I shudder to think what the better part of the past two decades would have looked like without him.

That being said, he's a detriment to this team now. Our offense is severely limited with him under center. He and Pouncey need to ride off into the sunset and let the offense figure itself out.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

When you are the HC you do not yield to the player and get rid of an OC that was producing mostly positive results for a buddy OC with no past experience or any knowledge of offensive creativity. Replacing Haley with Fitchner was an absolute disaster from the get go. Now we are again back to square one with another insider replacement. Under Mike Tomlin the Steelers have become a revolving door of failing assistant coaches. It's so bad that MT was taking over the defensive play calling during the last playoff game. He must have been doing it all in his head cause he sure didn't have any play cards to go off of. Look at most of the other successful coaches in the league and you see them heavily involved in calling the shots with play cards in their hands but our coaches almost act as if that is some form of cheating. FFS they had 1st and goal from the 1 and still failed to punch it in. Something tells me former OC TH gets the 6 there easily.

MT's motto is the standard is the standard when the rest of the league continues to evolve around him. If he was on the board of a major corporation with that mentality he would have been fired long long ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They are best friends. He even snapped the ball to manning at the pro bowl one last time. So when did he publicly ridicule manning as a leader?

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He said that because the media were probing him to make direct statements towards his teammates. He instead deferred and didn't do that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude do you not watch football, or maybe you just started. When they played 2gether , I thought Saturday was going 2 rip Paytons head off on the sideline. They had 2 be separated. That's stuff happens in football. Sometimes people say things . Yes Manning has thrown teammate's under the bus. I don't know how you watched football when he played and don't know this. Yes he was the darling of the NFL so they tried 2 keep what they could hushed. He also was said 2 put his stuff in a female trainers face a one time. Again it was hushed. If you never heard about this stuff, I don't know what tell U. I'm sure if you dig you will find it. I'm not the only one that has stated some of these things. You know why ,cause we heard them. So if you just got in 2 football a couple of years ago . Well. I get it. You know what ? I knocked my best friend out once when I was younger, and hotter headed. Doesn't mean we still weren't best friends. Just means we got pissed at one another. So them being so called best friends on tv means squat.

15. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    will ben restructure like brees ?? supposedly finding out within a week . only way ben makes it to the playoffs fresh is by playing the 2nd halves right loljk