1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben calling his own plays

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 20, 2012.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I read a blog and the writer asked Emmanuel Sanders about Ben checking out of run plays to pass plays about 20% of the time. Probably part of the reason Ben wanted to keep Arians with the Steelers. Don't know if he will have the same authority with Todd Haley.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i read it too and if sanders say 20 means is likely about 40

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No thanks, there maybe 2 QB's in this league that study enough film
    that can call there own plays. And he maybe retiring if he can't get his arm strength back.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure what that means, tbh. Simple percentages don't really mean much next to the context of each call.

I mean, if Arians had called the same running play for the third time in a row, when the defense looked like they knew exactly what was coming? Obviously the QB changes the play.

If Arians was trying to get the running game established, but Ben wants to keep throwing bombs until Wallace catches one? Not so good.

We generally seemed to have done better when we've gone to no huddle in the past few seasons, mind.

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    BIg Ben has 2 rings I trust him enough with the offense

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe thats why he has two. :hmmm: :cool:

7. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have to agree here. It's all about the situation at hand. And we all know (well most of us anyways) that Arians sucked when it came to situational play calling. So Ben opting out of a certain play could have been well warranted.

BUT there's little argument that Ben prefers to throw the ball instead of run.

8. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben's performance is 2005 in the Super Bowl was the worst by a super bowl winning QB's in Super Bowl History. He played well in 2008 Super Bowl, but not great. So to say he is the reason for the rings is pretty absurd. Rings are not the only thing that defines a QB's worth. Those teams were loaded on defense and had pretty good weapons also. It was noted in 2008 that the defense was tlling Ben all year, just don't turn the ball over and we will win the game for you. Ben is not good enough to call his own plays and i doubt he studies enough film to check out of 20% of the run plays called. No wonder why he was so close with Arrians.

I can tell you one thing, with Haley in the as OC if Ben checks out and its not the proper call, i guarentee he will hear about it. Even if Ben thinks QB's should not be yelled at.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    posting.php?mode=smilies&f=2#

10. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Did you not watch the Ben's performances in the playoffs during those super bowl runs? Without him we would have not gotten to the SB. Get Real !

11. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    This is what bothered me about all the Arian haters. They have no clue what plays were audibles and and what weren't but yet when it doesn't work, they act like they know for sure it was Arians fault. Don't act like you know, when you really don't.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't mind it, but running on short yardage in a single back set repeatedly doesn't strike me as an audible.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was unaware that they gave you SB rings for how you played in the playoffs. I am sure that if Ben explains to everybody how great his play was in those games they will give him a ring for his losing effort in his last SB. heck Brady should have two extra rings as well since he played his butt off in the playoffs leading up to the two loses to the Giants. maybe they should give Tebow one as well since he won a playoff game obviously that is worthy of a ring right?

14. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Interesting. I'm anxious to see how play calling goes with the new OC.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe ben and the wr's will have their own covert playbook and ben will call those plays during the game and really confuse todd. :roflmao: :cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe his point was about the 2005 SB that everyone likes to throw in Bens face. They don't even get to that SB without Ben, his play was instrumental in leading up to it.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I believe his point was about the 2005 SB that everyone likes to throw in Bens face. They don't even get to that SB without Ben, his play was instrumental in leading up to it.[/quote:3b1opuku]

I know what his point was however that doesn't change the fact that you don't win the Superbowl based on how you played in the playoffs. Ben is no different in that regard to O'Donnell, Kordell, or Maddox. Everyone on this board dismisses the play of every QB going back to Bradshaw based solely on winning the big game. If you are using the metric of playoff performances than O'Donnell comes up huge since he took his team to back to back AFCCG and won the second time heading to SBXXX.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know what his point was however that doesn't change the fact that you don't win the Superbowl based on how you played in the playoffs. Ben is no different in that regard to O'Donnell, Kordell, or Maddox. Everyone on this board dismisses the play of every QB going back to Bradshaw based solely on winning the big game. If you are using the metric of playoff performances than O'Donnell comes up huge since he took his team to back to back AFCCG and won the second time heading to SBXXX.[/quote:2ksbwc8d]

Kordell and Maddox never reached a SB, they are irrelevant. And no one said that you win a SB based on how you play in the playoffs, just that you don't get there without performing well. And despite poor numbers in 2005 SB, Ben still made key plays in that game to help them win. One of which was when he extended the play, which so many complain when he does, and threw the ball down to the 1 yard line, to Ward I think, not sure.

19. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I think trying to soley paint a QB as great or not great, elite, etc. is pointless because it is one game. Yes it is a very very big game, but the way I look at it, it should be evaluated more as the cherry on top, not the custard that makes up the most important component of the sundae.

Dan Marino had a pretty awful SB, do you think he is not deserving of being called an elite QB. When John Elway won his 1st SB, his line was 12-22 for 123 yds, a pick and no TDs - maybe we should take him out of the HOF.

You measure a QB generally by how they overall perform, what they can do in the clutch (4th quarter, 2 minute offense, 3rd down efficiency), and how they perform in the playoffs. By all those accounts - anyone who doesn't think Ben Roethlisberger hasn't been an elite QB over the past 8 years is nuts. He has the stats, he has shown he can win games late, and he has a solid playoff resume. End of story. The guy may be a prima donna, drama queen, ******* (and I generally agree he is all of these), but he is also a winner and a major reason why the Steelers are basically second in line behing the Patriots for being the premiere franchise in the NFL over the last 10 years.

Finally - a couple of points. Ben was not lights out statistically in 08 when they won the SB, but the guy played hurt (hand injury, shoulder too I think) for a significant amount of that year - I personnally was pissed he played in some of those games because he was hurt and not practicing w/the team and I felt his timing was off. But he still led 6 come from behind victories during that year (granted DeShea really won the Dallas game w/the interception return). Ben did get pretty healthy going into the playoffs and played well with QB efficiency ratings of 98, 85 (against a very stout Baltimore defense), and 93.

Second point - when the Steelers have gone no-huddle and Ben is likely doing more of the play calling, the Steelers offense has worked better.

By the way, I badly want Haley to have a better influence on Ben, I sincerely hope Ben can adapt into someone who manages the play more at the line of scrimmage like Brees, Manning, Brady do

20. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    [quote="Kevin James"]This is what bothered me about all the Arian haters. They have no clue what plays were audibles and and what weren't but yet when it doesn't work, they act like they know for sure it was Arians fault. Don't act like you know, when you really don't.[/quote]

This is not different than the people who say on every errant pass that the receiver ran the wrong route. How do they know that?
    Or the people who claim they know exactly what the Rooneys did concerning Arians, why they did it, and what big buttholes they are for doing it.
    I am not a basher of Arians, Ben or the Rooneys, but this is the NFL not Fantasy Football...all the stats in the world are useless if you are not puttin it in the endzone. Points Scored is what the offense should be measured by.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well let's see......

On one hand, we have a thread that argues that Ben has already been running roughshod, audibling out of running plays to pass more, freestyling out of control, due to the lack of adult supervision provided by BA. Thank goodness, Haley will put his foot down and make him accountable.

On the other hand, we have a thread that argues that Ben needs to call his own plays, that his natural talents were being stifled by the stale, unimaginative playcalling provided by BA. Thank goodness, Haley will take charge and fully exploit the available talent.

Both things can't be simultaneously true at the same time can they?

22. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think people will argue that Ben needs to be Ben (freestyle), but the OC has to make sure he has available targets (which I guess BA didn't do)... Or something like that... I guess...

I think the entire situation will be more visible once this new offensive team takes the field under Haley's guidance...