1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Between Us and Dominance

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NickSteel, Jan 1, 2012.

1. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Turnovers.

More specifically turnover differential, which after this week is -13 (28th I think). I took a quick look back and as far back as NFL.com has turnover differential stats (1991) we have never been in this ballpark. The 2nd worst was 2006 with -8 when we went 8-8. The amazing thing is we still managed to go 12-4 while compiling a EPICALLY TERRIBLE turnover differential. To give you an idea of how weird this is, the only other playoff team with a negative turnover differential this year is NO with a -3.

I submit to you that this is almost the sole difference between our skin of our teeth style and true dominance this year. Turnovers have killed our offense and lack of turnovers on D have severely limited our easy scoring opportunities that we have become accustomed to.

Fix this one thing for the playoffs and I truly believe we have ring #7 wrapped up.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. I have felt disappointed by our lack of forced turnovers this year. I assume we are all of the philosophy of defense winning championships and I just don't see how we can beat the packers or saints without getting turnovers. However, we have been banged up this year.

3. NickSteel

Dec 4, 2011
    I would wager that we broke some sort of record for best record with the worst turnover differential in NFL history.

4. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    i'd love to see following stats for 2010 and 2011:
    - offensive fumbles and how many lost
    - defensive fumbles forced and how many recovered
    - ST fumbles forced and how many recovered
    - INTs (both by D and O)

5. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with everything that was stated here. However, I feel that we cannot truly judge our team until we play at least one game full strength. Every game we are missing players through injuries, suspensions, or even when our players play they are not at full strength. (Ben claimed he was at 60% today which was still better than the last time he played at 40%) Even when we did have Woodley and Harrison together in the line up for one game, Harrison was only at 60% in the first game of the year due to his back surgeries. Plus, how many different line combinations have we had this year? Too many to recall for me. I realize that with Mendy going down today, we will not see our team at full strength this whole season. That is unfortunate. Maybe this is just another sign that we need to get younger?

6. NickSteel

Dec 4, 2011
    Injuries are certainly a large factor, but I still think the biggest factor in our seamingly lackluster performance is the ridiculous turnover story of this season.

7. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I completely agree with you. If we have a decent turnover rate the season is much different. It's not like the offense gave it away tons either. If you take out the two ratbirds games the offense was pretty good at protecting the ball.

8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes. I'll defend our defense until the end, but one area that is really lacking is creating turnovers. Seems like we don't have as many forced fumbles off of sacks as we usually do, probably because our sacks are way down. Our INT's typically suck.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We played 2 good games all year, Why just 2?

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Any win is a good game so I would say we played 12 good games this year.

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Agree with 12. We beat NE, Cincy, and Cincy. Those are playoff teams. So shouldn't it have been 3?