1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bettis, Dirt, K Greene, and Butler all HOF finalists

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheWanderer, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Heres hoping to a majority Steeler HOF Class.

3. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I am happy for all four- I suspect Kevin Greene will affiliate himself as a Steeler when he goes in, even though he only played here for 3 seasons. However, it was too bad that Donnie Shell did not make it as a finalist, as he is much deserving as well.

4. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm thinking Dawson and Butler will both make it in.

Bettis will get in for sure, it just might not be his time.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know enough about Butler.

Dawson is the only Steeler that I think needs to get in. Alongside Carter, Reed, Brown, and maybe Shields. Hmm, all offense. I love Bettis, but I don't mind seeing him wait a few more years. Other guys were just as good or better and have been waiting longer.

I remember thinking Chris Doleman was an amazing player but never seemed to get the credit he deserved when he played. Glad he's at least a finalist.

6. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Lovin' the Jim Allen reference!!!

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The bus better get in now because he's the only candidate with a ring.

8. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    You are forgetting Haleys 5.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Super Bowl rings and other team accomplishments are the single biggest problem with Hall of Fame voting. If Bettis gets in because he has a ring, then he doesn't deserve it. He should only get in based on the kind of player he was.

Michael Irvin over Reed, Carter, Brown? Beyond ludicrous. His numbers aren't that great, and he he is the kind of player that is less than his numbers, not more. Take the Super Bowls away and that travesty doesn't happen.

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  11. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    No other players in the NFL should ever be entered into the HOF until L.C GREENWOOD ! I'm not talking Steelers players but throughout the league.

12. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    L.C. is gonna have to go via the veteran's committee someday. he deserves it. it's a crime he's not in. and i'll certainly look forward to his HOF speech. dude is a pimp. i think he already has a wardrobe full of gold jackets. still stylish in his old age. he is still active around the city and the organization. he shows up at a lot of team-related functions and chairs the respiratory alliance of western pa.

13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Greene will go as a ram. Just as Woodson went as a Steeler. I do not think the player gets to choose the team.

14. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There was some discussion about this when (I think it was ) Woodson went in. In reality, players do not go in as a member of any team. HoF is an individual honor, not a team honor. The players do choose their icon, as it were. I believe Woodson picked a play when he was a Steeler. Additionally, players write their own speeches and can talk about any memories they choose.

15. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agree that Donnie Shell also deserves the honor. I suspect the HOF does not want too many of the 1st Dynasty players. Shell and Greenwood were a very big part of Steeler dominance in the 70s. As far as what their "team" is - I think the plaque that goes with their HOF bust lists all of the teams they played for. So, it's not a matter of going into the HOF with a specific team, but as a player. If you have multiple teams, they get listed with the years played.

16. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can't help but think the voters take into consideration what team a HOF finalist played for. AS much as I would love seeing all our guys get voted in, my guess is that voters wouldn't let that happen.

17. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

right- the bust is just a bust, and does not show the player in any uniform. It's not like the plaques in the baseball HOF.

As a memorabilia collector, I was thinking out loud when I said that about Kevin Greene- there is one hotly collected piece of memorabilia known as the Goal Line art card, which is a painting of the enshrinee. http://www.goallineart.com/mp_client/portfolio06.asp
    Woodson was painted as a Steeler, while Fred Dean- who also had great years as a Charger- was painted as a 49er. I think Greene would be painted as a Steeler. I also remember him saying once that the Steelers were the team he most identified himself.

18. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This is what I was talking about, not the bust. The HoF used to have these (or something similar) pictures with the bust. After the last remodel, I think they just have the bust on display.