1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Watch Saul

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Los pollos hermanos refers to Gus and Max. Max was shot in the head by Hector Salamanca. Hector's boss was the cartel leader that ordered the killing and forced Gus to watch.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, this is actually my favorite show on TV right now. That episode was great and writing is amazing.

And I really believe that Mikes storyline is what puts it over the top. Both are great plot lines but together in one show is just awesome.

Oh, and I really hate Chuck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Strummer - not sure how I missed that on the Gus marathon re-runs unless I didn't start recording at the beginning. Yo entiendo y gracias!

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They almost could have spun this off with Mike as the lead. And yes - I hate Chuck too and the whole tiresome electro-syndrome thing. I re-watched episode 1 from last season where Jimmy and Kim scam the stock broker guy in the bar and pose as recent inheritors of $1.4 million. Anyhow they order the $50/shot tequila ______Anejo and finish the bottle on this other guys tab and keep the fancy bottle top as a souvenir. In re-watching the Gus Fring BB marathon, this is the same tequila used to poison the whole Cartel crew poolside at their mansion in Mexico. Sweet.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Chuck is a scumbag. That is all. I have literally zero sympathy for the character. Although Michael McKean is awesome. As proof I refer you to pretty much every Christopher Guest movie ever made. Mike is the man. As usual.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No problem. Gus and max weren't actually brothers, just business partners. Although I've read articles stating it was inferred they were lovers. When max is killed the two of them went to the cartel leaders house to make a business proposition. For what we reason he didn't like it/was offended and executed max.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The writers of BCS have hinted that besides Gus, there will be other lesser known BB characters showing up from time to time starting with BCS S3-E2 - some will be obvious but others will test your memory of BB. Also - I know we've discussed it before but are the Jimmy/Saul/Cinnabon scenes really his future or just nightmares he is having after going AWOL following BB?

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't the think the Cinnabon scenes are the future. I think they are the present. He said at the end of Breaking Bad that the best he could hope for, after going in to hiding, was 4 pairs of Dockers and a management position at Cinnabon. I hope we find out that Mike is who puts Hector in that wheelchair.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I always thought he had a stroke but won't be surprised to find out if Mike is the cause of it.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    By present you mean just after BB ends? Wouldn't that essentially be the future since none of this was portrayed in BB? Anyhow - if anyone caught the "Talking Saul" segment following the BCS first episode this week the panel of Kim, Mike and the Directors discussed a few hypotheticals about both the Cinnabon scenes and Kim's fate during the BB 5 year run - on the Cinnabon scenes there was a hint that maybe Jimmy/Saul was dying and these were his last thoughts/visions - and regarding Kim, they said that we never saw Saul away from work and maybe he was going home to Kim all the time or at least still seeing her. It wasn't a dark outcome as some had suspected in this thread - but Directors and Writers can take all the liberties they want to - especially when time transporting as they are now doing.

11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    David St Hubbins is the greatest frontman of all time. Also named for the Patron Saint of Quality Footwear. Tonight I'm gonna rock it! TONIGHT!

13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    My favorite song from the soundtrack has got to be Cups and Cakes :lolol:

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Jimmy McGill finally meets Gus Fring. Epic! Ever since Mike "nailed" Hector's frozen fruit bar truck - he's been tailed and doesn't realize it. And Jimmy was made by Gus at the chicken shack - can't scam the scammer.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man Chuck is a scumbag. I also loved the part about Cracker Barrel. I LOVE Cracker Barrel! LOL!

16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, it was pretty great to finally see Fring.

And Chuck......Jimmy puts it on the line to help Chuck realize he's not losing it, showing brotherly love, and in return, Chuck screws him over royally. Micheal McKean is doing a great job playing a character you love to hate.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've wondered if they've designed him to be an object of hatred or sympathy. If they designed him to be the object of hatred, as it is appearing to be now, then they are doing a great job. If they designed him to be an object of sympathy then they are doing a TERRIBLE job because he's not sympathetic at ALL to me. LOL!

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I figured Chuck was gonna try and get him disbarred and it's gonna be incredible to watch Saul beat him.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually I think it's going to be Jimmy AND Kim who will beat him - maybe finding Chuck as mentally incompetent to remain a lawyer and threaten his license. When the DA asked Chuck if he could appear in court to testify, Chuck says - "Oh sure, for a while at least". You know Jimmy and Kim will use this keep Chuck under the fluorescent lights and around electronics for as long as possible to cause a public physical/mental meltdown.

At this point though I'm so much more interested in Mike's backstory than Saul's. Mike's a genuine very old school McGyver. You can tell that Gus greatly respects Mike's tenacity and drive and even egged him on to continue to mess with Hector.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Chuck has always resented Jimmy being a lawyer, he's never accepted it. He used the correspondent school Jimmy got his degree from as an excuse but Chuck just wants to keep Jimmy down. If you remember one of the flashbacks, when their mother is on her deathbed and asks for Jimmy and ignores Chuck. Then Chuck lied to Jimmy and didn't tell him their mothers last words was her asking for him. I believe Chuck has always resented Jimmy because even know Chuck was the good son and got good grades and was successful, their mother always favored Jimmy over Chuck.

I think Chuck does get Jimmy disbarred though, I think he wins the court case but I think Mojave is onto something, I think Jimmy will keep him exposed to that stuff as long as he can but only this time, the toll is too much and he dies. Or maybe Jimmy wins the case but the guilt of losing his brother is too much and Saul is born.

As for Cinnabon, I think that is Jimmy living on the lam and this is all him reflecting on his life.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's weird that Jimmy turns into Saul but is still operating in the same Santa Fe/Albuquerque area - you'd think that many people would know that Saul used to be Jimmy and he doesn't do much to keep a low profile in his new M.O.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    AWESOME episode tonight! Can not WAIT until next week! Obviously, Kim was recording Chuck making that statement about him only "destroying" the duplicate. I say she "obviously" had a tape recorder because Chuck was having a hand cramp right at the very end of the hearing and I think the presence of that tape recorder was probably what was causing it. Also under the terms of agreement for the hearing they agreed to put their "cell phones" outside but didn't say anything about "tape recorders". It's gonna be hilarious when they play that tape next week of him admitting to saying UNDER OATH that Jimmy "destroyed" the tape. Kim led him right in to a great trap. Also did you guys also forget for a second that during the opening scene that you WEREN'T watching Breaking Bad? For a second I felt transported back in time. Also am I the only one who thought Hector might pee in the pool like he did on Breaking Bad? LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It was such an "efficient" epic episode that covered so many intertwined story lines (not unlike Seinfeld in its later years) - loved watching Gus giving his cheesy staff a "one for the Gipper" pep talk and "splaining" to them about those bad fellas who showed up. Almost made you respect him for a second. And Mike saying "maybe" to Gus' offer of working for him. Looking like they will together cause Hector's stroke down the road. Not exactly sure what all the pix that Mike took at Chuck's house will be used for - but guess we'll find out maybe next week.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah there was actually almost a writer's strike this weekend and I was hoping like crazy there wouldn't be because generally when that happens they won't air the episodes even if they're done out of solidarity with the writers. I think what's gonna happen in the hearing is that Kim is gonna object like crazy to Chuck's tape being played but he basically said to her that objections and motions are basically formalities in this particular hearing. So then she's going to remind him of saying that when she says that she has a tape of her own to present to the court and Chuck is gonna about poop his pants trying to get it stopped. LOL! It is gonna be absolutely awesome watching Chuck lose.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Such a brilliant show, makes me miss Breaking Bad so much. Hate Hector, can't wait to see how he ends up an invalid, that should be good.

Not sure whats going on with the pictures. My first thought of the pictures of Chucks desk was to show that he works by lantern and that Jimmy is going to have Mike steal the duplicate and try and paint Chuck as incompetent and nut job after all. Only problem with that theory is, Jimmy already signed a confession.

I love seeing how all this started though and led into Breaking Bad. Awesome.