1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Than Ben??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Junebug, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Apparently so.....

Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield graded AFC

North’s best quarterback

The AFC North saw a bit of a power shift in 2018, with the

Browns crawling out of the division’s basement. A huge

component of that shift was rookie quarterback Baker

Mayfield, who PFF graded as the division’s best quarterback.

The Cleveland Browns have been looking for a

quarterback for nearly 20 years, and they finally

found one in the form of Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield’s 2018 season provided more hope for

Browns fans than they’ve had in decades, and the

future looks bright for the Dawg Pound.

Pro Football Focus seems to think so, too, as they

graded Mayfield the AFC North’s best quarterback

in 2018.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    OMFG, this is so laughable! I have been pretty hard on Ben but he was the best QB last year.....IDK 5000 yards might back that up. Let me know when Baker and the Clowns can do that, this loave affair people have with the Clowns makes me chuckle!!!!!!

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    This a joke and I love Baker but pump the brakes. Isnt like he had a mahomes level season. Way too early to put him over Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    In about 3 years he might be the best in the North but not now. Ben's fat ass is still top dog

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Last year everyone was fitting Carson Wentz for a gold jacket. Now Baker Mayfield is the shiny new toy. Let's see what kind of sophomore season Baker has before we anoint him king of the North.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who do you want with the game on the line with a few minutes to score? Baker? Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Joe Montana!! :hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We had a chance to get Joe, doh!!!

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    My high school beat the hell out of Jim Kelly's high school when I was a kid, I intercepted him twice in the championship game. I'm pretty sure he was a little better than me in the long run though.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Ben led the Steelers on a 4 plus minute drive in the final minutes against the Bungles with a disgruntled AB wearing his fur coat on the sideline while Mayfield performed his ultimate choke job against the Rats. I was among 55,000 plus people remaining in the stands at Heinz Field cheering for that loser as he closed out his season with a pick.

Ben will always own OHIO while Mayflop will continue to choke no matter how great the players are surrounding him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yep but felt more comfy riding that one ******* we don't talk about... Once upon a serious blunder. And Joe WANTED to be here!!!!

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    More off season garbage being written by idiots who probably never played the game. Cleveland's Clown couldn't get 10 damn yards in 4 plays to get within fg range against the Rats. That game could have given them a winning season and really give them momentum for next year and put us in the playoffs for a one and done scenario. He is a little punk that has and will continue to fail.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He came in and started slinging the ball, with noone having any game tape on him...

We'll see how well he does next year. That said teams still found ways to exploit him.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not going to root for the kid since he’s in our division, but he sure as hell didn’t fail in his rookie season. He took the helm of a team in the middle of the 3rd game of the season that was 1-32-1 in its previous 34 games. They then went 7-7 with him as the QB. He had a 93.7 QB rating with 27 TDs in 13 1/2 games as a rookie.

Bottom line is that he had 376 yards and 3 TDs in that loss in Baltimore. It was a playoff game for the Ravens, and they barely got it done vs. the Browns.... at home. Yeah, he forced a ball at the end trying to make something happen, but he was a primary reason they even had a chance to win at the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think PFF is saying that Baker is the best QB in the AFCN. they’re saying that he graded higher than the others when breaking down every snap of every game. Do the stats suggest that they’re correct? Some do. TD percentage Baker 5.6%, Ben 5.0%. Yards per attempt Baker 7.7, Ben 7.6. Ben was better in completion %: 67% vs. 63.7%, interception %: 2.4% to 2.9% and QB rating 96.5 to 93.7. Also, and I think more importantly, Ben had to carry the team more than Baker did. Cleveland had the #14 rushing offense and averaged 4.6 yards per attempt while the Steelers had the #31 rushing offense and averaged 4.2 yards per attempt. PFF’s grading looks at every play and grades each player based on what they did regardless of the statistical outcome. So if a QB throws a pass that should have been picked off, but the defender dropped it, it’s still going to count as a turnover-worthy throw (Ben had a few of those) in their scoring. When we’ve seen “Bad Ben” for long stretches of games, his negative plays were racking up negative points in PFF’s grading even if he wasn’t racking up negative stats. So, yeah I can see Ben’s PFF grade being lower than his actual impact in terms of winning and losing because he does make quite a few head scratching throws.

Bottom line is that I think anyone, including the folks at PFF, would say that Baker is the better QB. However, Baker did really well for a rookie. I’m concerned that the Browns may have found a real QB.

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    But just like you he doesn't have a SB ring:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I honestly feel bad for Jim on that one. They were too good to never win one. Can you imagine going to four straight Super Bowls?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He is what the Brown's needed because like Ben he has a winning ATTITUDE. He's not used to losing.

And I get a kick out of all the shots Ben has been taking currently, most of which is completely blown out of proportion and unjustified.

We'll have fun seeing that Ben will be just as productive if not more next year not attempting to force the ball into Antonio Brown. He's the leader of this team so let him throw it to who is open and what the defense presents.

20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Wentz played well despite his injuries. Let's see what he does now with a full off season fully healthy.

21. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I wouldn't laugh too hard at this. Mayfield looks like the real thing and completely exceeded my expectations of him, which admittedly were pretty low. (Shows how much I know.) He had a good rookie year and led the Browns to a good season (for them) on a team that quite frankly had huge issues with the coaching staff. Way worse than whatever issues the Steelers may have.

22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Until he is out of our division, he sucks. Sorry.

23. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Most first round QB's are not used to losing and have great attitudes but still many fail miserably. He is a road block to our success so we must break him into smaller pieces than he already is.

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Let's just hope a certain team in Mass. does not go to their 4th in a row.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    No it's about a certain attitude. Ben had/has it. Mayfield also has it. There are good QBs that just don't have it.