1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Free Agent pickup for the Steelers in 2024: Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Mason Rudolph

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Ryan Tannehill

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually, this was prior to his first Super Bowl when he had the lowest QBR for a winning QB in Super Bowl history. I think he was distracted by too many other things leading up to that game. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, he started living the fast life right away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    :sleepy: <yawn>

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    This is where your lack of intelligence betrays you yet again. I referred to the ad hominem you used against DJ and George. When I noted that they both prefer Mason as QB over Kenny, you responded by name calling them in effort to discredit their opinions instead of just making your case for Kenny over Mason.
    ^^That epitomizes ad hominem. I didn’t do that to you. I called your implication that what the players think doesn’t matter, stupid. I didn’t name call you personally as you did DJ and Pickens. Even now when I note your apparent low intellect, it’s in reference to how it’s seemingly preventing you from comprehending simple sht. It’s not a personal insult used to deflect from and discredit your argument/opinions. I can do that easily enough with just facts, logic and common sense.

I didn’t say that you wrote that, I said that you implied that how DJ and Pickens feel about the QB situation doesn’t matter which you clearly did. Setting up a fake straw man to argue with yourself against, doesn’t make your implication any less stupid. Of course coaches don’t let players make coaching decisions. Nobody said that. I noted how DJ and George felt to counter another poster talking about some YouTube film breakdown of Kenny’s game against Cincy. You then jumped in name calling the WRs talking about how players don't make these decisions. I never said that they make the decisions, I just noted their opinions on the QB matter.

I refer to sheep as sheep. If you refuse to acknowledge the bandwagon hating and dogpiling on Canada by many people who likely don’t even seriously watch football, then amongst other things you’re also a liar. There were “fire canada” chants and things at non Steeler events. They even popped up in non football events. It obviously became a popular trend for folk to jump on. It forced the Steelers hand. They didn’t want to fire him.

My defense of Canada only goes as far as noting that inept play at qb is the main thing that held the team back offensively over the last 2 seasons. People can nitpick at his schemes/concepts and all that, but they cannot deny that there were open receivers missed every single game. Points left on the field every single game. If the team had the level of qb play that Mason provided over the last 4, they win +10 games and Canada isn’t fired. Thats all I’ve said. What Canada went through at LSU, whether he’ll get another NFL job or whatever else is an irrelevant deflection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada's failure at LSU is not a deflection. It is relevant to any evaluation of him as an offensive coordinator. You are just ignoring evidence that doesn't fit your ridiculous narrative. It isn't just fans stating that Canada did a terrible job and deserved to be fired. It showed in the regression of Pickett. Expert after expert explained the poor route concepts and amateurish schemes. That he failed so badly at LSU that they fired him after one season with their head coach saying that hiring him in the first place was a mistake is also factual evidence of his lack of ability to do the job.

Regarding the sheep thing, insisting that you are right does not change the fact that it is an ad hominem attack. Engaging in one while whining about me doing it makes you a hypocrite. The same is true of you attacking my intelligence, which is also funny coming from you.

Regarding Johnson and Pickens, their lack of maturity and history of selfish behavior is a factor relevant to the discussion. It is also a statement I make based on evidence. We saw it with both of them this past season, especially Pickens, who had similar issues in college. It is one reason why the coaches would be foolish to base their decisions at quarterback on the whims of Pickens and Johnson.

Also, I'm not engaging with Pickens and Johnson in this discussion, so your application of ad hominem is dubious at best.

6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I've seen "ad hominem" used more in this thread than in my entire existence on this planet.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Funny the other day people were saying on multiple shows that Terry Bradshaw was the 1st Brock Purdy ...., and that He had 10 to 12 guys on His team that were better than He was....like the 49ers have now. I don't fall for all that....because You still must play the Qb position well, but it's being talked about by a lot of people over the last week. I Love TB12(the original), but can You imagine what Ben would have done with 10 HOF players playing with Him, and only one HC like Noll His entire career.....instead of different players every year, and two different HCs, but that's nice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I had to look it up the first time

Now I’ve decided to erase it from memory so as to never use it

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh

The dimwit couldn’t learn the playbook

11. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    LSU may be relevant to your evaluation of Canada, but it means nothing to me. I don’t care who said what. I think for myself. I don’t think a fair evaluation of Canada’s offense could be had since we never saw it executed by a competent qb. The only thing that I’ve said about Canada’s offense, is that Kenny/Mitch missed open receivers and left points on the field in every game which is fact not opinion.

My use of sheep wasn’t an ad hominem and it’s cringe seeing you trying to force this “I know you are, but what am I?” defense. You can keep denying that people jumped on the “fire canada” bandwagon but that just makes you dishonest

You can try to justify your personal attacks against Johnson and Pickens until you’re blue in the face. What makes it an ad hominem is that you insulted them personally as a way to try and discredit their opinion. It doesn’t matter that you aren’t engaging with them either. Calling them selfish, ignorant, and immature as a way to invalidate their preference of Mason over Kenny is an ad hominem regardless of you try to spin it.

Let’s look at your character assassination though. DJ is 27 and George only 22, so they lack maturity just by their age. Where’s this history of selfishness? Why is it so easy for you to personally insult guys on the team you supposedly root for? Because they prefer a qb that you don’t?

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Not naming any names but maybe a hotel room should be reserved

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How many times does Canada's poor coaching have to lead to him getting fired before it sinks into your head? His failure at LSU and with the Steelers is ample evidence of his incompetence, but you would rather stick your fingers in your ears in defense of your contrarian nonsense.

There may have been some people thoughtlessly following along regarding Canada, but your calling everyone who wanted him gone sheep is an ad hominem attack. I'm sorry you aren't honest enough to admit that.

You misused the term and I correctly showed how it applies to your tactics. You should be thanking me for the free lesson.

Now you are making up even more nonsense. The evidence of Johnson's immaturity and selfishness was on display in the first game against the Bengals. We all saw him take a play off while standing on the field. How did you miss that?

Pickens had issues with his maturity at Georgia. Then deleted the Steelers from his social media earlier this season because he wasn't getting the ball enough. There was also the time he refused to block for Warren, which led to a big hit on his teammate. To paraphrase his explanation, he was protecting himself from injury rather than doing his job. I was harshly critical of both players at the time of those incidents, long before Rudolph even got back in the lineup.

Your dishonesty is truly tiresome. Do better.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    DJ quit on a play and failed to recover a fumble while deep in Cincy territory. Pickens didn’t block for Warren which prevented him from scoring and absorbed a pretty good hit as a result of it.

About as selfish as it gets and quite frankly, extremely dickish behavior.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m looking forward to seeing him try to refute these facts

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As am I.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The part of what Pickens did that really bugged me was his explanation. He said he wasn't going to end up like Tank Dell, who suffered a serious injury while blocking. You can't play football that way, so worried about getting hurt that you stand around, then jump away from contact. We have all seen players make business decisions to protect themselves, but how often do you hear them admit to it like that? How was that not incredibly selfish?

I don't have a problem with a team leader speaking up about the team, but Johnson and Pickens don't act like leaders. Johnson works his ass off, but he still has far too many moments that he just isn't focused. Pickens is incredibly gifted, but he needs to grow the hell up. He needs to put in the work to improve his route-running and he needs to show up every play. It isn't just the obvious stuff like deleting the Steelers from his social media, refusing to block for teammates, or openly pouting when he doesn't get the ball. It is more subtle things like the way he lines up. This was brought up last season. Sometimes, he was tipping off defenses about his role in a play by the way he approached the line. If it was a run away from him or a pass play that didn't make him the primary target, he would just stand upright as if he wasn't even ready to do anything. Hell, I saw one video of him coming to the line with his gloves in his hands. He did it some this past season, too. How are those not displays of immaturity and selfishness?

I'm not surprised they want Rudolph out there. I think the reasons why the offense was better those last few weeks are more complex than just the change at quarterback, but it takes a more thoughtful approach to realize it. Also, Johnson has a relationship with Rudolph. They seemed to be developing a nice rapport back in 2019. I'd rather see them going to the coach quietly rather than showing that sort of lack of support for Pickett, who could very well be the starter next season, but I'd have a lot more respect for their opinions if they grew up and showed less selfishness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. One of the good things about Arthur Smith is he won’t let players get away with that. Going to be interesting to see how Johnson and Pickens respond to him.

100% about Johnson and Rudolph’s relationship. Also, Johnson is the only one I heard who endorsed Rudolph, I don’t recall anyone else on the team doing that.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

didn't tomlin say he may have misevaluated him? :cool:

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think he was referring to players endorsing Rudolph. I don't think Tomlin phrased it that way. I think he said the way Rudolph played changed the way they view him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I meant players saying they want him to be the starter.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    To answer the OP... Mason. Not very interested in Tannehill at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    You're not wrong here but they had lost confidence in their Qb & for good reasons... look at what happened when they had a Qb who could deliver, these 2 performed like stars... You & scribe try to pin it on Canada, but I think the guys playing on the team & making the plays know more about it than the rest of us... They seem to think pretty highly of Rudolph but what do they know?

24. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    What??? Cmon man that's just silly,,, even the defense were making public statements in support of Rudolph...

25. Philofarnsworth79

Oct 6, 2019
    It's not more complex than receivers wanting a Qb who can get them the ball in the right spots which is exactly what Rudolph did... Their personal relationships are irrelevant its just another excuse like you blaming all of Pickettsfailureson Canada instead of the other way around... The entire team rallied around Rudolph for these reasons... They clearly lost confidence in Kp...