1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Free Agent pickup for the Steelers in 2024: Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Mason Rudolph

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Ryan Tannehill

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Here is a little fun fact.

2019 Arthur Smith's 1st year as Offensive Coordinator. for the Titans
    2019 Ryan Tannehill named comeback player of the year.

Could history be repeated in 2024?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Would love to see Mason Rudolph named comeback player of the year next season!

What a story it would be! Buried on the depth chart by Tomlin and his staff, being installed as starter when there were no other options, leading the Steelers to three impressive wins at the end of the season and into the playoffs when they were left for dead. Fast forward to next season…he wins the QB1 role in an open and fair competition and leads the team to a 12-5 record and the no. 2 seed in the AFC. Then to two playoff wins before losing a close game in the AFC Championship! First we’ve got to get him signed! ;)

3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn’t like the way either JJ McCarthy or Michael Penix looked in the national championship game. Both were very unimpressive IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Because once they arrive in the NFL, players never improve.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Baker Mayfield will not go anywhere he can't start right away and he sure as hell won't be #2 to Pickett. He's a playoff caliber starting QB. Bucs will sign him to an extension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Didn’t say to bring him in as a backup. Thanks for playing

7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Believe it or not... QBs can improve over time.

Ever heard of Drew Brees? Alex Smith? These guys didn't exactly light the world on fire when they first entered the league.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Mayfield would be dumb to go to the Steelers. Bucs have better O line and Evans is better than DJ and Pickens combined.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yet they were significantly better than bigk

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not directed at you, but…

Let’s let the guy walk who rallied this team when it needed it the most and played exponentially better than the other two quarterbacks had the previous two seasons. Let the guy walk whose enthusiasm spread like a contagion throughout the locker room the last month of the season and restored the offense to a level of competence it hadn’t seen since Ben was in his prime. Let’s let the guy walk who displayed outstanding leadership qualities even when he was learning on the bench for 2 1/2 years when the anointed QB1 refuses to believe he can learn anything watching from the sidelines.

Look, I know Pickett is going to be given every opportunity because he’s the fair haired golden child and no. 1 draft pick from the magic kingdom, but he should not be given a free ride to the starting role and hasn’t earned anything at this point. If bringing Mason in makes the anointed one uncomfortable, then so be it. We’ll see what he’s made of. And if he comes through the fire and performs and wins the job, he and the team will be better for it.

11. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Mason cause he has earned it and it is the right thing to do plus he is the qb the team responds positively to .Let kenny and micky pout and walk away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    No doubt Pittsburgh has a fair market value assessed for Mason.
    If some team comes in and offers more, he's gone.
    So, I imagine Pittsburgh is going to look at the wire and see if better comes up.
    If Mason, Minshew, and Wilson are sitting on the wire and all are affordable... there's a choice.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know how anyone looks at Rudolph and thinks he can go up against the likes of Mahomes and the other top QB’s. We saw him try to keep up with Allen, orchestrated a whopping 17 points against the first real test he had. Gee, I remember Pickett getting killed for that type of output.

I also love the narrative that the Steelers somehow did Rudolph dirty. They drafted him, gave him a shot and he performed poorly, yes poorly. His flaws were on full display while he was starting, thats why the Steelers brought in Trubisky and drafted Pickett. THEN when not one other team wanted Rudolph and he was contemplating going into real estate the Steelers gave him a job, those bastards! THEN they benched their number 1 draft pick and gave Rudolph the opportunity of a lifetime, omg, double bastards!

Listening to the hyperbole around Rudolph he surely will land a starting job this free agency, how could he not, he put on a clinic during those 4 games. Someone is going to be like, we gotta sign the great Rudy, we need this guy as our franchise QB and lead us to the SB!

It’s unreal, the legend of Rudolph grows everyday on this board. And before you say it, no, what I have seen out of Pickett doesn’t lead me to believe he can go up against the top QB’s either, he has a lot to prove this year. I wish the Steelers had been smart and fired Canada before last season and then we would have our answer already instead of now having to go into next season still trying to figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Why couldn’t he? Others have. In fact, Mason said that big part of his improvement was watching the other QBs from the sideline

15. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    Football is a team sport. Not a 1on1 qb competition.

Mason had 2 TD passes against the Bills along with his 2 td game against the Bengals. Kenny has 1 2 TD game in 25 starts.

The only reason that people are now acting so enamored with Mason is because of bad Kenny looked. After 8-9 weeks of watching Kenny ineptly leading the offense, it was insanely refreshing watching a guy come and just execute the basics. It’s moreso the eye-test than the stats. Just looking at the 2 play, 1 looked like a NFL qb and the other looked like a guy in over his head.

“Bu bu bu Canada”

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It is a team sport yet everyone points to points scored when comparing Picketts good game against Cincy. Pickett played every bit as good in his first game without Canada as Rudolph played.

Steelers fired Canada mid season, first time they have done that in 100 years and you don’t think he was a big part of the problem?

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    micky will be pushed who ever micky is

18. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I want Mason because our players want him as the starter if Kenny starts or any other QB they might not perform as well. listen to the players. You will get better results--- Kenny is not the guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just a question to board members, what if Canada called different plays
    Than the duo that took over. Maybe the coaches said to KFP hey
    play it close to the vest and dont turn it over and will get our all pro kicker and 6th ranked defense to W in it. Did the OL perform in the run game first 8 weeks of the season? I find it funny After Canada was sent packing KFP throws for over 300 yds and offense goes for over 400 yds in nearly 3 years time. Now could this be the truth or just
    nonsense? Did KFP have a winning record under the poor play calling of Canada. Did KFP bring the TEAM from behind in 4 or 5 games in his 24 game stint. I am asking for an open minded friend. R remember it is art to be able to call a good game.
    Not every one can do it. I hope our new OC can?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    So if they bring in a quarterback better than Kenny and Mason they should not use him because the players may not perform as well

Or should we just not attempt to get a quarterback better than Kenny and Mason because the players may not perform as well

james I need enlightened here

• Like Like x 2
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ben must be laughing his ass off right now at some of you haters that wanted him gone and continue to talk mad sh!t about him. You know who you are. Now we're debating which loser 2nd or 3rd string backup is better. We have returned to the 80s post Bradshaw. Buckle up because we have a lot more years of the modern day Stout, Malone, Woodley, Campbell, Blackledge, Bono, Tomczak, NOD, Stewart, Miller, Graham, Maddox.

So far, we've gone through Mason, Duck, Mitch, KFP. What mediocre has-been or never-was we bringing in next?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    this question is like 'which Center? Kendrick Green or Mason Cole?'

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not really. That one is a no brainer. Green should never touch a football.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    I can’t speak for “everyone”. Football is a team sport and not a 1on1 qb competition though. It’s never 1 qb vs the other qb. It’s always team vs team.

I don’t agree that Kenny played as good as Rudolph in that Cincy game. I don’t think that their teammates or many of the fans do either. I saw the same flaws in that game. Even the almost TD pass to DJ was a late throw. Had he thrown that on time it would’ve been a relatively easy TD instead of a missed opportunity. It wasn’t a bad call either because the next game against the Cards the refs ruled an incomplete pass on basically the same exact play.

The saving grace was Cincy abandoning Muth and the middle of the field, betting that Kenny would continue to ignore them as he had for the season up until that point.

After that loss to the Browns and how pathetic the offense looked, something had to give. They were either going to bench Kenny or fire Canada, they chose to fire the guy on the last year of his contract who obviously wasn’t going to be brought back rather than benching their first round pick for Mitch Trubisky. Seems pretty self explanatory to me. If you’re going to blame Canada for anything, it should be his inability to develop Kenny in the year and a half he had to work with him. There were receivers open and points left on the field in every single solitary game though.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can't win em all, KVS,sometimes you win sometimes you don't!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024