1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Free Agent pickup for the Steelers in 2024: Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Mason Rudolph

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Ryan Tannehill

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If the money would be the same to sign Mason Rudolph or Ryan Tannehill for 2024 who you got?

Ryan Tannehill is 35 years old, but would probably immediately become the #1 QB on the roster because of his knowledge of Smith's playbook.

Mason Rudolph showed some talent at the end, and according to Art Rooney, we have not even seen the Ceiling for Mason's talents yet.

I could really seen Kenny learning from a VET like Ryan Tannehill in 2024.

If you still believe that Kenny could be the future for this team, it would make more since to sign Tannehill. Also, if all you care about is winning in 2024; I would give the nod to Ryan Tannehill again over Mason in a 1 year series.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe as a BU , hell no as a starter.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rudolph. He’s been here, the players respect him, we rode him to the playoffs and he deserves a shot at the starting job going into next season.

And by the way, Kenny doesn’t learn sitting on the bench. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Who do you have as the Starter for the opening game next year running the new OC's playbook?

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett. He’s absolutely going to be given that opportunity. 1st rd pick saddled with bad coaching so far. They won’t give up on him before seeing what he can do with Smith calling the offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Kenny has a lot to learn and yes he won’t learn from the bench but he can learn from the practice field. You put him in as starter your asking for the same results as last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Steelers Could Add Arthur Smith's Former QB (msn.com)
    According to this article, Ryan Tannehill will be looking for a 1 year $4.9 million deal. If their source Spotrac is correct about his value this would definitely make Tannehill affordable.

And a huge value over the other crazy names being thrown around like Fields and Wilson, who would both take trades to be here on top of their salary demands.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There's some potential free agents too. A few thoughts on the first 20 picks and QB situations.

QB's in the Draft
    • Caleb Williams, USC Trojans
    • Drake Maye, North Carolina Tar Heels
    • J.J. McCarthy, Michigan Wolverines
    • Shedeur Sanders, Colorado Buffaloes
    • Quinn Ewers, Texas Longhorns
    • Michael Penix Jr., Washington Huskies
    • Bo Nix, Oregon Ducks
    • Spencer Rattler, South Carolina Gamecocks
    • Jordan Travis, Florida State
    • Joe Milton III, Tennessee

1. Chicago Bears (via Carolina Panthers) - It's hard to imagine Chicago passing up on Williams and sticking with Fields. But in a real world, Fields is out.

2. Washington Commanders - Should Chicago pass on Williams, Washington will Probably jump to the podium. If not Drake Maye could be the guy. I like Sam Howe and thought he did well enough in a dysfunctional franchise with bum coaching and a sad OL. Howe will probably stay and Brissette is out.

3. New England Patriots - QB is high on the list there. Mac Jones is not on my wish list.

4. Arizona Cardinals - I despise the troll QB they have.

5. Los Angeles Chargers - Herbert isn't going anywhere.

6. New York Giants - They could do better than Daniel Jones but not in this draft.

7. Tennessee Titans - Move on from Tannehill?

8. Atlanta Falcons - Ridder had a few moments. Focus on a OC to develop or go after a QB?

9. Chicago Bears

10. New York Jets - QB Killers.

11. Minnesota Vikings - Bring back Cousins?

12. Denver Broncos - The Wilson deal... They will have to move up in the draft or maybe try to sign Cousins but they can't afford a huge contract.

13. Las Vegas Raiders - Jimmy G will be cut and they will be on the market.

14. New Orleans Saints - Saints traded for Carr. He can't stay on the field.

15. Indianapolis Colts - Richardson will be back, Minshew will probably be resigned.

16. Seattle Seahawks - They have Smith and Lock and a new coach. I dunno.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars - Trevor isn't going anywhere.

18. Cincinnati Bengals - Browning is a FA, re-sign? I could see a few teams going after him.

19. Los Angeles Rams - Safford isn't getting any younger. Not much behind him and anyone they release isn't worth anything - Wentz? no way.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mason on the FA block. A couple team might take notice.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    From what I’ve read, both Sanders and Ewers are returning to school for next season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It is a 'copy-n-paste' for conversations.
    I agree though.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I would probably go with minshew or even mayfield over tannehill.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I still think: If Mason is picked up, they will go with a guy like Jacoby Brissett.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

How do you leave Jayden Daniels off this list

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    How do I? Well, as I said earlier, it is not my list, it was just a copy-n-paste......
    It's just referencing QB's that could be drafted and put a vet out of a job.

So, feel free to inject him. He's one that probably will.

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This list is maybe better from NFL Draft Buzz.... I might not agree with the rankings...
    I see 4 QB's that could knock QB's off a roster if drafted.
    That might put unexpected Vets on the market.

We are setting at 20. I don't think they would move up to get a QB and to me that would put us around Bo Nix which I don't want at #20. (Not sure I want him at all)
    JJ McCarthy is a wild card in my book. He has a strong arm, mobile and has a high football IQ.... fall or rise? I dunno.

upload_2024-2-1_11-8-37.png

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Michael Pratt could be someone on their radar, Tomlin was seen chatting him up. He’s projected to go in rd 3. Just starting to dig into him but looks pretty good. The level of competition is a question mark against him but he can alleviate some of those concerns with a good performance this week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Yeah, Tannehill was replaced by a guy we beat Will Levis

Tannehill may be an ok backup if we get outbid for MR’s services. But resigning MR should be option 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    new coordinator could make a difference. Worth a shot to give him a try. Assuming he beats out whoever we bring in

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    keep going karl.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yes i like pratt. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    KFP
    rudolph
    pratt

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I'd prefer to keep the guy who already knows the team and seems to be well supported by his teammates. Tannehill reached his peak and is probably on the decline at this point. Unless there's a huge salary gap between the two, I'd much rather stay with Mason.

I know they said they want to bring in competition for Kenny, but we all know they want to give their 1st round pick every opportunity imaginable to be the starter. If they think Mason could outplay Kenny and create a rift in the locker room because Kenny is still starting, then they'd be more inclined to let Mason walk to avoid all of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Jordan Love impressed the hell out of me this year. Nothing I had seen in Jordan Love before this year had me convinced he was going to be a starting QB in the NFL. I did not see him coming off the bench when Aaron Rodgers was traded and putting it all together in his 4th year. He learned something sitting on that bench for those 3 years behind Aaron Rodgers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yeah.... I am inclined to agree with you. There's a couple of those guys slated for later that are better than that - I think.
    It would be nice to uncover a Brock Purdy. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I already know what both QBs look like as the starter. Tannehill is better.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1