1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best steelers players in the last 40 years?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 16, 2024.

1. Rod Woodson

11.9%
  2. Troy Polamalu

47.6%
  3. Ben Roethlisberger

23.8%
  4. Antonio Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. James Harrison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hines Ward

2.4%
  7. other

7.1%
  8. T.J Watt

7.1%
  1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude is obviously on something when he wrote, "the facts fit my opinion". I made my point when I said it was my opinion. Maybe you should be directing this post at this person in a private message? Maybe you should be directing this to me in a private message?

Sorry if you didn't follow the discussion. What I wrote wasn't meant to be taken litterally. Thanks for you considerataion.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    See what Thor said. Also, I'm right. Compare Harrison's statistics to Polamalu's and you will see it. Notice that Harrison, not exactly a popular guy, was DPOY that year and Polamalu wasn't. Those are the facts that make it clear Harrison was the Steelers' best player in 2008.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't care how your point was meant. I think Harrison was their best player in 2008. You said it was Polamalu. The facts do fit my side better than yours. You are still entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that there is better support for mine.

Also, stop making me agree with Thor.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Harrison was also the team MVP back in 2008

5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    A comment need not be literal to be a personal attack. I was following the discussion fine. You were both making fair points, then things started turning south.

Apologies if you felt singled out - you aren't the only infractor. I just happened to reply to yours (and publicly) in hopes that others doing the same in other threads lately will take note and rein it in as well.

6. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Harrison had a great year in 2008. One great year doesn't mean best player. TP had a great year in 2008.

The Steelers best player (Polamalu) sealed the AFCCG win vs the Ravens in 2008.

Ben was always the most important player on the 3 SB teams. Troy was the best player on 3 Superbowl teams. People can agree or disagree with me. Polamalu is in the HOF.

7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You singled me out in this discussion. Don't call me out on this forum like I am a child. I've been here for many years. A simple PM would be approprite if I said some thing wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    "You don't care". Does this mean that you won't consider anyone's opinion? You want to argue facts vs opinion. Harrison had a great year in 2008. This doesn't mean he was the best Steelers player. Ben was the most important player. Polamalu was the best player. Harrison won DPOY. Great year doesn't equal best player, IMO. Harrison was the most important player in 2008? Ben was. Just like Troy was the best player.

We can simply agree to disagree. Polamula is in the HOF. Set, game, match.

9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I already explained that I wasn't trying to point the finger solely at you, as well as why I addressed it publicly. A friendly reminder to keep debates civil is not talking to someone as if they were a child. Still, iI suppose you could refrain from using 'put down the crack pipe, fent, oxy, meth, or the drug of your choice' as a counterargument and not have to worry about receiving such a message in the future (publicly or privately).

Because a player is the HOF does not mean they were better in a particular season than another. There are a number of former league MVPs who have not made it to Canton. (Also, you're getting a little ahead of yourself with set, game, match.)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When you look at their entire careers, Polamalu was better than Harrison. Nobody is disputing that.

In 2008, however, Harrison was their best player. Those two things are both true.

Take a closer look at that video you posted. Who pressured Flacco into that interception? I'll give you a hint. It was James Harrison.

Also, if you want to talk about one play from the 2008 season, Polamalu's pick-six was great, but Harrison intercepting Kurt Warner at the goal line and returning that for a touchdown is one of the great plays in NFL history. If it's not the best play in Super Bowl history, it's in the top three.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it means your intent doesn't change my opinion.

Harrison had better statistics than Polamalu in 2008. He was recognized as DPOY over Polamalu. That he did all that for a dominant defense that carried the Steelers much of that season marks him as their best player. As I wrote in previous posts, you are entitled to your opinion, but the facts support my side of the argument, not yours.

Polamalu being in the Hall of Fame is about career achievement, not one season. He was able to maintain his greatness longer than Harrison. In no way does that mean he was better for that one season.

To tie everything together, your argument about who made the most impactful play in 2008 also supports my side. Harrison's pressure on Flacco set up Polamalu's interception in the AFC Championship game. Also, it wasn't as impactful as Harrison's interception of Kurt Warner in the Super Bowl. The Cardinals were about to take the lead. Harrison was supposed to rush the passer on that play, but he read it perfectly, improvised and provided a 14-point swing with arguably the greatest play in Super Bowl History.

Game. Set. Match.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Old Dipstick

Old Dipstick Member

Mar 26, 2022
    upload_2024-6-2_2-16-2.jpeg

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Some of these posts, sheesh. If I'm able to take one steelers player, in his prime, from the last 40 years, and add them to the current team, its going to be Ben, then Dawson, then Troy, then a maybe a split between Woodson and Hines.

i don't care about Brandt type position rankings. Those are very limited and narrow in scope.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You could make an argument for Woodson as one of the top two or three cornerbacks in the NFL over the last 40 years. Ward isn't even the best receiver the Steelers have had in that time frame.

This is a passing league. If you can get an elite corner or an elite safety, you take the corner.