1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best steelers players in the last 40 years?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 16, 2024.

1. Rod Woodson

11.9%
  2. Troy Polamalu

47.6%
  3. Ben Roethlisberger

23.8%
  4. Antonio Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. James Harrison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hines Ward

2.4%
  7. other

7.1%
  8. T.J Watt

7.1%
  1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It seems difficult for you. The Polamalu effect on the game/defense went beyond stats.

Polamalu could had been named DPOY almost every season during his prime. This was the Polamalu effect on the game.

The Steelers have another defensive player in Watt that could be named DPOY almost every year. Watt had better STATs than Garrett in 2023 and didn't win the DPOY.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala!

He's a bad Mother....shut your mouth!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He also left because of a contract dispute and he wasn't fond of becoming a safety. He seemed to overcome that when he left the Steelers though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL You don't think Harrison's impact on a game went beyond statistics? You don't think the way he beat the crap out of people made some guys hear footsteps? You don't think consistent pressure on the quarterback affects the quarterback? Maybe I should stop after the first three words of those sentences.

When you look at entire careers, Woodson's impact went beyond statistics, too. Having a corner who could take away a huge part of the field has a tremendous impact on what a defense can do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    People seem to forget that the Steelers didn't exactly play nice in all that, either. Way too many posters here assume that was all on Woodson. It wasn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

And Dan Rooney admitted in the past that his biggest regret was letting Woodson go

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. LoL. You gave Me a play....I could Give You with Ben, Troy P, Ward, and Harrison.....many more, and in bigger games than one wild card playoff but good try.
    Although You did get a winner from the guy who actually never watched the game. LoL

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean the DPOY like Garrett won last year....while not deserving it???

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again....you got a winner from the only person who never watched Him play.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I gave you a play to help demonstrate that even though your premise is flawed, Woodson qualifies in that area, too. Like many others, you are getting stuck on the more recent events and things out of the individual player's control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    PFF didn't have the same ridiculously oversized influence on awards then that it does now. It was their nonsense that got Garrett that award. Come on, STD. You know this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Did Woodson for us ever change a outcome for a AFC Championship, a SB.....No He didn't....it's not recency biased....its facts.....those other I mentioned did.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would like to agree with You on this, but I sit wondering how many other MVPs, DPOY, and such other awards were done the same way, and I just never looked into it.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why I pointed to it being a combination of recency bias and things out of his control. Players don't get to Super Bowls or miss them all on their own. Woodson never got to play in a Super Bowl when healthy. He played in one AFC Championship game. Now you are basing an argument that broad on miniscule sample sizes to somehow justify the argument for lesser players over the Hall of Famer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Why did you bring Harrison into this discussion? Harrison had a great season in 2008. This doesn't mean Harrison was a better player than Polamalu. Polamalu was the Steelers best player on 3 SB teams. That's just how I feel.

Watt had better stats than Garrett. Silence on your part....

Why did you bring Woodson into our discussion? He was a great player and is in HOF. In 1995, the Steelers made the Superbowl without Woodson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh no they definitely tried strong arming him. I'd have to go look it up though, but he actually took less than they were offering when he left IIRC.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They actually were trying to get him to switch to safety, and He wouldn't do it, and then did it for the Ravens

19. Dudley35

Dudley35 Active Member

Jun 14, 2022
    Teams win championships. My choice isn't even up there...despite being 8th in career rushing yardage.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well Woodson never played with the Steelers on a TEAM....that did....., and the only time we went with Him...he was on the sidelines the whole year

21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    because our offense were one of the best in steelers history at that time...It was a good thing since the defense were not the same without Woodson,big part why they were 3-4 in the first 7 games before the offense caught fire for the rest of the season after that....The defense were even more often on the field in 1994 vs 1995,so don't use the time of possession or thing like that as a excuse for the reason why the steelers gave up 90 more points in 1995 vs 1994

And yes I watched some game in 1995,like the bears game and the second bengals game,both on youtube and you can watch every game if you want on this site

1995 Steelers Original Game Broadcasts on MP4 (mcmillenandwife.com)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL . You weren't even watching. I won't discuss a season You are going purely off of highlights, and stats.....I already told You this. You want to discuss something with Me.....let it be something You actually watched.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You claimed that Polamalu was the best player on the three Super Bowl teams. I do not believe that claim is accurate. Harrison was better in 2008. The statistics back that up. The DPOY voting backs that up. The eye test, at least in my opinion, backs that up. That's why I brought Harrison into the discussion.

Also, I did not respond to your post about Watt and Garrett last season with silence. I answered you. I believe that was driven by PFF, which did not have that same sort of influence in 2008. DPOY still means something. It's not a complete joke like the Pro Bowl, but PFF has diminished it some from what it was in 2008. That they got it wrong once doesn't mean Harrison wasn't worthy. The bottom line is we both have our opinions, but the facts fit my opinion better than they do yours.

Woodson is part of the larger discussion on the thread. The 1995 discussion already happened on this thread. It isn't nearly the mike drop that you or STD think it is. The play of the defense declined significantly without Woodson. They made up for it in other areas, such as opening up the offense and getting a rare healthy season from Thigpen.

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    \
    Put down the crack pipe, fent, oxy, meth, or the drug of your choice.

25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    A favor: let's keep the debate to the argument at hand, and away from away from personal attacks (/slurs/jabs/etc).

We can have passionate debates without attacking each other.