1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Steeler LBs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Some of this ranking has more to do with mere stats, etc.; some has to factor in intimidation, aggression, etc. It's one thing to make a tackle, it's another to do so with bad intentions. Some players just do their job and make the tackle, others try to inflict as hard of hits as possible, and like it.

1.) Jack Lambert. His ferocity is not overrated. He made John Elway consider becoming an accountant. The only player as impactful to creating the 70's D was Joe Green. #58 was as real as it gets.

2.) Greg Lloyd. What a wrecking machine. He seemed to be in every tackle. He was nearly on an LT level of play in his impact. Too bad he wasn't on a team that won a ring. He sure deserved it.

3.) James Harrison. Career was shortened due to being a late bloomer, but the man was a beast, especially before the new rules. He could knock suckers out on command. He was a wrecking ball.

4.) Jack Ham. A perfect technician. Good at everything, always took the right angles to the ball.

5.) Kevin Greene. Didn't play his entire career in Pgh, but his best years were here. Amazing Partner with Lloyd. Man, what I'd give to have a pair of OLBs like that right now. We'd be talking rings.

6.) James Farrior. Led the team in tackles almost every season he was here. And was clearly the team leader on D.

7.) Joey Porter.

8.) Mike Merriweather.

9.) Levon Kirkland.

10.) Jason Gildon.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Andy Russell was probably the smartest. He didn’t have the athletic ability of many others, but he always seemed to be in the right place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree about Russell. Timmons should be there somewhere too.he had a lot of good years for us. Hinkle was pretty good too but overlooked with all the other greats we had. Loren toews was a pretty good one too. :cool:

4. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Dennis "DIRT" Winston if only for having the best nickname.

So many great ones in Steeler's history, Lambert is the standard to which all others are compared.

Glad you included Farrior he was so steady, so consistent, maybe one of the best free agent pickups the Steelers ever made.

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I always thought Chad Brown was a very good and underrated player

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If you are just listing the ten best, you forgot Russell as it has been mentioned. If this is your order, then you probably do not know truly who Jack Ham was. Ham is #2 at worst and possibly 1A with Lambert. Lambert was more outspoken, but if there was a Chuck Noll-type on the field, it was Ham. Ham is considered one of best technicians at linebacker all time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jack Ham. Jack Lambert, Andy Russell, Greg Lloyd, James Harrison,
    Ryan Shazier, Kevin Greene, James Farrior, Timmons.

8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lambert by far was no. 1 on the list. I seen him make 9 to 10 tackles in a row, and for his size very few were for positive yards, hardly never got drove back. He just had great football awareness against the run and pass.

2. Jack Ham

3. Greg Lloyd

4. James Harrison

5. Andy Russell

Top 5, the rest are toss ups.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    lambert ham and Russell are and always will be the standard. Kirkland is 4th. I always thought robin cole was good. just on some bad teams. 5 thru 10 you can argue all day. the top 3 are simple

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with your list for the most part... but I'd switch Farrior and Greene. Farrior at #5 and Greene at #6. Farrior is the most underrated Linebacker in Steelers history, IMO.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Poor Jason Gildon. He was good OLB and got a lot of flak from a certain Steelers fan website that I won't mention. Gil (dong-sack) was a good OLB... not great. He would have started for any other team in his era, if he didn't play for the Steelers.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    1.) Jack Lambert. His ferocity is not overrated. He made John Elway consider becoming an accountant. The only player as impactful to creating the 70's D was Joe Green. #58 was as real as it gets.

2.) Greg Lloyd. What a wrecking machine. He seemed to be in every tackle. He was nearly on an LT level of play in his impact. Too bad he wasn't on a team that won a ring. He sure deserved it.

3.) Jack Ham. A perfect technician. Good at everything, always took the right angles to the ball.

4.) Kevin Greene. Didn't play his entire career in Pgh, but his best years were here. Amazing Partner with Lloyd. Man, what I'd give to have a pair of OLBs like that right now. We'd be talking rings.

5.) James Farrior. Led the team in tackles almost every season he was here. And was clearly the team leader on D.

6.) Joey Porter.

7.) Mike Merriweather.

8.) Levon Kirkland.

9.) Jason Gildon.

Fixed

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Could you imagine Lloyd or having to drop into coverage like they're asking Watt to do?

I know he did it on the outside some.

I know Kirkland would do it, even as big as he was they had him covering WR's downfield and he somehow did it!

I''d like to see him or Lloyd jam Gronk at the line. See how that would work out!

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Lawrence Timmons was good, and if you don't think he was you missed the run defense last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Busman thinks my Chad Brown mention is hilarious..3x pro bowler and 2x All pro...79 career sacks

Kirkland...Who's been mentioned a lot..2x pro bowler and 2x All pro...19 career sacks

Brown was good...Damn good

16. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Hardy Nickerson was pretty damn good...Spent the prime of his career in Tampa with Dungy tho..

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to take emotions out when discussing things like this if you want to be taken seriously. You can debate where James Harrison is in top 10 but he is most definitely in the top 10. Talent wise top 5 but because of longevity, I can see an argument pushing him down some.

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Like Pounce said he erased his own legacy. That's on him. Just like how I do cheating Tom Brady when talking about Top 5 QBs. Don't even acknowledge they exist.

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't forget y'll. We didn't have room for Mike Vreble. Think he would have been on the list