1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

best set of receivers of all time

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Nov 16, 2020.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the current set of receivers are the all time steelers best (Juju, Dionte, Chase, James, Ray-ray). Before them, I thought (Thigpen, Charles Johnson, Andre Hastings, Ernie Miills, Corey Holliday) was the best we had, but the current group is young and strong. Really looking forward to watching them over the next 3 years with Ben. Hope Ben plays 3 more years.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Burress, Ward and Randle El was an awesome set of WRs.... Ben's rookie year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    young money is currently our best set ever, but I can see this group topping them if they stay together for any reasonable length

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not going to say best of all time, but the 77-80 Steelers had a decent group. 2 HOF Swann and Stallworth, a forgotten speedster Jim Smith, Theo Bell (who I believe is the 2nd all time punt returner behind Row Woodson), and Bennie Cunningham at TE. I must include one of my favorite Mr Reliable's of all time Randy Grossman.

A much different time, but still a very respectable receiving group.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m still not seeing it...

However most weapons Ben has ever had???? Sure

juju is great
    Clay is great
    Ebron is really good
    Johnson is really good
    Ray ray is really good
    Washington is good
    Vance is good

6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Johnson is far and away the most talented pure WR on the team. JuJu and Claypool are fine #2 type WRs. they're all really good. JuJu shows a lot of toughness i like that

7. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Claypool is a fine nr 2 type receiver????? Understanding he is a rookie and still has a lot to learn, but Number 2 receivers do not get double teamed...and getting that much attention as a rook means opposing teams have a little higher regard for his talent than you do.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    chill out bro. claypool is a beast but clearly Johnson is the best WR on the team. Claypool is martavis bryant with better hands and a good head on his shoulders. Claypool can not run the routes Johnson can run or make people miss in open space like that either.

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The jury is still out on DJ. He is too reckless with the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Seems like he is always confused too alway looking at Ben putting his arms up

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Now that I think about it, Just prior to young money becoming young money, we had an even stronger unit led by hines ward..... mike Wallace started opposite him and AB and Emmanuel Sanders were coming off the bench...… on top of that, we also had Antwaan Randle El

someone please show me a stronger unit in our history...…. I dare you!!!!

12. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    makes a good point for sure

13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That is indeed an impressive unit. Given ARE's passing and return skills (which enhances the ability to move the ball). This brought to memory the 74/75 steelers wr's, Swann, Stallworth, Frank Lewis (had a really nice career), and Ron Shanklin...again a far different game, but that 4 set could compete with anyone, anytime.

14. Some Guy From Mars

Some Guy From Mars Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Yup, I agree 100%. In my opinion, this unit is not getting as much love due to the fact teams did not pass as much back in the day. But bring Swann, Stallworth and company up to modern times with a more pass friendly offense and hall of fame quarterback, they would light it up too. That said, if Randy Grossman, at just 6-1 and 218 lbs, were playing today he probably would be a slot receiver and not a tight end.

15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Whoa hold your horses its way too early to be making any kind of best ever comparisons with this group of youngsters.

They all have to prove themselves over a longer period of time before you say they are better than Stallworth Swann and Cunningham or Ward, Wallace, Brown , Sanders and Heath in 2011.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Win a Super Bowl, then we can talk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Enjoy while it lasts. The front office is possibly the league best at working the salary cap but they're not miracle workers. Im afraid this is JuJu's last year on Pgh.

That being said, the way they draft receivers I wouldn't be surprised if we get someone even better I the draft.