1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Safety for Steelers

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Da Stellars, Feb 1, 2016.

1. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Agree 100%. Kearse looked TERRIBLE in his Bowl game. Single handedly gave up 14 points at least IMO.

Like you said didn't chase down any plays. Extremely overrated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Steelers typically draft fast players and bulk them up. Vonn Bell is probably too small and too slow to be on their radar but you never know.

Bell looks like the most complete safety prospect though.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What everyone think about Keanu Neal?

4. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Apparently not very much haha. I personally don't watch a lot of college ball so I watch tape of specific players prior to the draft.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will be honest I don't know much about him. I watched the Bama game and I wasn't at all impressed. I do want to say one game don't mean nothing, I felt like he was playing way deep and was out of the run play every time. I can't judge him on that I would like to see more, this kid has nice size at 6-1 216. Everything I read on him it says he isn't afraid to make a tackle so I want t see more.

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I can't believe everyone here is overlooking

DeAndre Houston-Carson

It's the obvious choice

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I really haven't looked much into a lot of guys yet as people post them I try to watch some. Now that the SB is done I will have more time and this will be my next guy.

8. FinnSteeler

FinnSteeler Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Mike Mayock's top safetys from nfl.com

Safeties

1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia
    2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State
    3. Darien Thompson, Boise State
    4. Miles Killebrew, Southern Utah
    5. Jeremy Cash, Duke

Mayock is really solid on rating top player's. So is Joseph this good? Fit for us? Ramses is listed as corner..

9. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Joseph is the hardest hitting safety in this draft, and quite frankly is among the hardest hitting safeties I've ever seen. Don't think he is the best safety in a draft with some pretty good ones. Cash is Top 3 at least, I'm not so high on Vonn Bell.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Were you like, Peytons gopher or something???

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why not so high on bell 08?:cool:

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Joseph missed most of last season with a injury.

14. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    He's a good coverage safety which is what we need to compliment Mitch, but I am higher on Cash, which just sounds cool to say

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No.....just the mailman bringing him his HGH.............

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This may be a bumper crop of safeties this year. I hated last year's safety class. This year I have watched everything that draft breakdown has on Darian Thompson, and 2 games so far of Karl Joseph. Based on what I've seen, I like both guys WAY more than any of last year's safeties. I have tons more to watch and learn before drawing conclusions, but based on my limited review so far I wouldn't flinch if we took either of those two guys at #25. They're both good football players.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cool. just wondered. i like them both. bell has a little better speed, not much though. the thing i liked about bell was he never seemed to be out of position to make a play. he can read whats happening very quickly. either are very good. i just wish there was some better speed at the safety spot this year, but if not then being able to read the play and receiver early helps make up for that. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Karl Joseph hits hard, but looks tiny on the field? Apparently he is 5' 10"... just worried about Bob Sanders syndrome, where his body can't take the pounding.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I watched his highlights on Youtube, he could be a mid rd pick good on the blitz too.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What I am reading about him is he is more a slot guy if so we really don't need that. I watched his game vs TCU and what stood out to me was he was afraid to tackle. When he did make the tackle he went in head first head down, man that is scary. I remember him from the shrine game but he didn't do to much that stood out to me there that I remember. To me I would rather have LeBlanc or Jones who could also return punts. Like I said I only watched his TCU and Shrine games.

21. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I do not mean no disrespect here but a few things, first you said this was the obvious choice and second you mentioned another Steeler site.

I don't see this guy as an obvious choice, if he was then he really would have stood out in the shrine game. Does he turn out good I don't know I am not a trained eye just an arm chair internet fan, lol. Here is what I read about him on Walterfootball:

• Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota
      Height: 5-11. Weight: 190.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
      Projected Round (2016): 4-6.
      2/13/16: Some rate Boddy-Calhoun ahead of teammate Eric Murray. Boddy-Calhoun recorded 48 tackles with six passes broken up and four interceptions in 2015. The season before, he had a strong total of 51 tackles, nine passes broken up and five interceptions. Teams seemed to throw at him more than they threw at Murray. Boddy-Calhoun didn't have an impressive week at the East-West Shrine.

I do not go to other Steeler sites so I am not sure what others are saying. There are a lot of knowledgeable steeler fans on other sites as well as here. I left a site a year ago to come here but the site I use to go had a lot of very smart posters. What I am saying is I don't know it all not even a 1/4 of it all so I accept other opinions of others.

I don't put a lot into the combine I like game action to judge players. I have watched this kid twice and I am not very impressed. If this is a 4-6 round guy he is not an obvious choice and in that range like I said I want a guy who can do more like return punts or kicks.

23. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012

now I'm confused.
    I've been talking about DeAndre Houston-Carson FS William & Mary
    I just happened to notice he was in an article on Steeler depot
    the fact that he goes to Coach T alma-mater makes him a big possibility jokingly because Tomlin always looks to help out his homeboys(Vick) but seriously because he is pretty versatile and deserving and MT frat brother.
    Not remembering until today CajunYankee had already mentioned him

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well let me clear this up I must have hit the crack pipe pretty hard cause I am talking about a different player.......I am sorry I had the two players mixed up, lmao! Damn these players with 3 names........lol! My bad bud

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Omg.....

DeAndre Houston-Carson FS William & Mary

Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota

:shrug: