1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Safety for Steelers

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Da Stellars, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There are plenty of safties in this draft, but only a few who will fit in with our scheme. I think we are looking for a SS rather than FS.

Who would you choose?

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Right now, from what I've read, it would be Darian Thompson, from Boise State. Seems like he has the best instincts and would help us most where we need it: in coverage.

I'm still early in my "scouting" process so I may change my mind, but overall I like what I've read about him.

3. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Been pimping Darian Thompson since i got here. He's in my list of 1st round targets. I like to think he lasts to our 2nd round pick... but the way the board/needs shake out, I wouldn't have a problem taking him 25th overall.

I like both Clemson safeties. SS Kearse in a 2nd/3rd round range, and FS Green in the later rounds.

I was really impressed with Clayton Fejedelem at the East/West shrine game.... as a late round flyer sorta guy

Oh... and Tevin Carter, late rounder, SS.... total bulldog. Hits like a truck. If you are looking for that "in the box" SS..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I was looking at some of the top 10 safeties, interestingly enough they all seem the same... I guess the true in the box SS is going by the wayside?

5. FinnSteeler

FinnSteeler Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I would make an exception this year at safety and be happy with top 5-8 talent at position who is best at just one thing, coverage. Having got a good look at only Bell from OSU and Kearse I say Bell could be just the right type but not Kearse at least in 3 years. Kearse gets beaten in coverage and what got me worried was seeing he looking very average chasing plays from behind. If Kearse is top talent I would expect good speed chasing plays or at least confidence in speed at a level so that the player shows maximum effort. Would love physical threat and 6'5 SS but he has to prove he can move with the best of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I just saw some of Jeremy Cash... reminds me of an in the box playmaking safety just like Troy. Great tackler and likes contact.

Tevin Carter seems similar. Whoah he has speed and size!

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Doran Grant lol!! Let's hope anyway.

Sean Davis out of Maryland is another one of those CB/S guys. Don't know much about him but I will definitely have to watch some Maryland games. He was at corner this year. 6'1" 200.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I watched a few of Thompson's games this AM on draft breakdown. I had also seen him in person in a game at UCONN in 2014. There's a lot there to work with. He's been a bit of a gambler at the college level, and it's paid off for the most part. He will give up a big play here and there, but he'll also cause turnovers. He's a tackler who gets it done, though I'd like to see him wrap up more and not just rely on getting the ballcarrier to the ground with a pop. With some coaching, he should be a really good safety in the NFL.

I would agree that he doesn't make it to our pick in the 2nd. Heck, if he measures well he might not even make it to #25. Yeah, I'd strongly consider him in the 1st.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like cash but may like vonn bell just a little more. never seems to get out of position on plays which makes me think he's got something upstairs in the know how department. :cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im going to be looking for this years Eric Rowe, I wanted him here bad, someone skilled to played safety and CB, disguising coverages.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers could use a ballhawk safety like Darian Thompson, he has 19 career ints.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have just touched the tip of the draft but here is a list of guys I will be looking at or have seen a little bit and want to see more: Cash, Kearse, Bell, Killebrew, Simone and Carter. I will be checking most out but these guys have my interest, I also want to check out FS in case we have a need there.

The thing is most of us know about the 1st round maybe 2nd round guys but I feel the draft is made when you can find good players in rounds 4-6. There are positions in this draft where I feel you could find a starter type guy and S is one of them this year. Not saying I want to wait til the 4th or 5th but lets say for example OT is weak and there is a very good player there in the 2nd and we have to choose between him or our top S left on the board I would have no problem waiting a round and taking the OT.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we don't have a 5th and 6th this year ny. after the 4th we will have to wait until the late 7th.:cool:

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I know that, but just because we don't have one now don't wean we won't get one. If there is players out there the Steelers want they know what they have and don't have they could trade back to add picks, ya know what I mean. A 5th or 6th is a ton easier to get then say a 1 or 2, so I look at the draft as if we do have all picks just in case they do make a move. If the Steelers feel there is a guy there they like in the 5th I am sure they will pull the trigger on a move, jmo.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If they trade back to pick up picks, it wont be for 5th and 6th rd.

I disagree with the premise of your OP though, picking late to fill the DB position is why the secondary sucks to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. make the picks and work the UDFA guys early. we have found some good players out of that group over the years. foster, harrison, mclendon, will.j., nix, finney, hubbard, AV, garvin,etc..:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Researching Jeremy Cash some more... really like what he does at the LOS. I guess pass coverage he is somewhat of a liability?

Seems like he would rather be a linebacker? He flies though... like him a lot.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  18. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    When they trade down from their picks in the 3rd or 4th round it will.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast I agree with what your saying let be try to explain better. What I am saying is with this S class being so deep(imo) do we get the same value from say a guys like Bell, Cash and Kearse in the 2nd as we would with guys like Killebrew, Byard, Whitfield and Simone in rounds 2-4 while taking another position. I don't know the answer I am don't know enough about these guys. From my untrained eye maybe, but I don't want to draft a guy later who don't have potential. Like two years ago the CB class was deep we wait to the 5th round to draft Richardson, who wasn't on my radar and he didn't offer anything. I agree us drafting late every year got our secondary in this problem but look who we drafted.....Hawthorne.......Frederick. These guys were never in the discussion, I am talking about guys that are in the discussion at S.

Not sure if I cleared it up for ya or made it more confusing, but where I am trying to go with it is depending on what prospects are there and position I would consider taking a safety later.

20. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Looking at the last 10 years... it seems Colbert prefers to wait until round 4 or 5 for a DB. Very rarely has he picked one higher.

Golson excluded. Curtis Brown in round 3 was the only I could find.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

also fyi look at last year 2 spots:

San Diego Trades: Selection Choices: Round 1, 2015 (17), Round 4, 2015 (117), Round 5, 2016.

San Francisco Trades: Selection Choice: Round 1, 2015 (15).

Chargers selected Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon at No. 15.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand and thats been the Steelers MO, they wont draft for need, so if there is an OT sitting there in rd 2 that they like and not much separating the safties from rd 2-4, I'd suspect theyd take the OT. 4th rd guys have a 4th rd grade for a reason though, despite how little may be separating them from 2nd rd guys. That little bit of difference can be the difference between succeeding and failing.

Gotcha. I was thinking more of the lines of trading out of the first rd which would bring them an extra 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th. Something like that. I think that would be the smarter way to go if they could.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with what your saying about the S, a very fine line there.

As for our draft picks I have said all along I want to trade back a few spots and gain a extra pick. I hope Elliott falls then that would help us too. Check this out from last year, pretty close to our pick:

Denver Trades: Selection Choices: Round 1, 2015 (28), Round 5, 2015 (143) from Chicago, Round 5, 2016, center/guard Manny Ramirez.

Detroit Trades: Selection Choice: Round 1, 2015 (23).

I would do that all day....twice on Sunday!!!!! lol

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we need quality over quantity right now. bens days are ticking away. we need to build.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    a.j. stamps is worth a look too. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1